Knicks @ Wizards November 7, 2008

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,356

Re: Knicks @ Wizards November 7, 2008 

Post#201 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 8, 2008 2:59 pm

I missed the game, but it sounds about the same as all the others.

We should start Dixon and McGee. Bring N1 off the bench because without him, we'd have no firepower on the second unit. It's time to curtail Jamison's minutes too. I admire his character and I'm sure he'll come around after this slow start, but he's just not playing well enough to deserve 40 minutes.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#202 » by doclinkin » Sat Nov 8, 2008 3:00 pm

dandridge 10 wrote:At the risk of being called an EJ supporter or apologist, this thread is a perfect example of how ridiculous some of you guys are blaming every loss on EJ. EJ did practically everything most of you have been begging him to do...play McGee, Young and Dixon more and bench AD, Stevenson and Songalia...and yet most of the posts here once again blame EJ for this loss. I understand the criticism the last game, but I'm a little confused on this one.

Yes, the Wizards were pathetic on D once again. But you know what, in EJ's pre-game interview, he said that he told the team exactly what they had to do...close out on shooters and just not hope they miss. And, what did our players end up doing...most of the time our players would either stand and watch NY shoot a three or lazily skip over to the shooter with a half-hearted attempt at getting a hand up. It was sickening to watch. And, I don't want to hear any crap about how EJ has lost this team, isn't playing the right scheme, or is not motivating on D. These are frickin' professional players who should be desperate to win a game. Most of NY threes were from the defensive player being in position, just not hustling to get out on the shooter. If the Wizards players need a new coach to motivate them to do that after being 0-3, the Wizards management have bigger problems than finding a new coach... management needs to find new personnel who have the will and desire to get it done on both ends of the court.

+1. EJ played McGee basically without a break from the 2nd quarter on (less 5 minutes of starters to start the 2nd half). Subbed in Blatche and McGuire next to him. Yeah he played Jamison 40+ minutes but Jamison hit better than half his shots and pulled a dozen boards, and started hitting his 3's in the 2nd half. We could use a little more Blatche but it's not like he's been closing out well on shooters either, some part of Dray's PT is on himself.

DS2 was buried for poor play and rightly so. I expect a tweak in the starting line, that's what the postgame comments suggested. It should be interesting to see Big JaVa on superman in orlando.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,356

Post#203 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 8, 2008 3:27 pm

doclinkin wrote:[ It should be interesting to see Big JaVa on superman in orlando.

Hmmm. I'm not sure he's ready for that yet. McGee just doesn't have the bulk to deal with Howard. EJ should probably start Etan just to lean on Howard for the first 6 minutes of each half - soften him up a bit before putting in McGee.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#204 » by closg00 » Sat Nov 8, 2008 3:31 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I think the solution at this point is start Juan with DeShawn, and bring Nick off the bench for any position PG, SG, or SF; as game flow indicates.

AD needs a DNP-CD just like Darius got.

The Wizards always leave the perimeter to collapse inside. Dumbest team in the NBA defensively, by far. That's on the coach IMO.

I'd also like to see Jamison playing 35 mins at the most. Caron must stop forcing the game 1-on-1.

To me, the team plays horrible defense and relies on jumpers and isolation. The Wiz stink.

Agree on all points. I think only a new coach will bring an end to this mediocrity. Once the Princeton offense is ditched, I believe our defense will improve dramatically.
sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#205 » by sashae » Sat Nov 8, 2008 4:25 pm

It's time to blow up the team. Nick and JaVale both look promising, and Caron is Caron... but Antawn seems to have aged in dog years, Etan is ineffective, DS is a total waste of space. Andray seems to be the same player he was when he was an exciting summer league rookie, but slower -- and now we can see he's never going to stop making the same boneheaded mistakes.

Juan, Nick, and JaVale on the floor with Caron and some combination of AJ/AB/DSong probably gives us the best opportunity right now, but ye gods. It'd be pretty exciting to see AJ dealt to a high-pace team that doesn't give a damn about defense for parts. Phoenix? Dallas? Hell, NYK?
ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#206 » by W. Unseld » Sat Nov 8, 2008 4:55 pm

dandridge 10 wrote:
W. Unseld wrote:DS and Caron both look like they are carrying a little extra weight. That will hurt DS's perimeter D and I think it's hurting Caron's explosiveness (unless he has an injury I'm not aware of).

Actually, I think it was reported that Caron lost some weight this offseason.

He must have a minor tweak or injury then b/c he's not moving like he did last year. I'm not down on Caron, I think it's a reason for hope b/c I don't think we've seen him at 100% yet.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#207 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:30 pm

TheBigThree wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:To me, the team plays horrible defense and relies on jumpers and isolation. The Wiz stink.
Meh. I'm not going to say that we're going to the playoffs this year, but were you not the least bit excited by what you saw today? Today's game was the best I've felt about this team since Gilbert went down. There will be growing pains, no doubt, but we'll start finishing games. It's not like we've been getting completely dominated or anything. If we could find a way to stop getting down in games early (Start Juan and/or Nick Young, thanks!) I think we'll be fine.

And even if we aren't, can you at least see the potential of a healthy squad (Yes, I know you could say this for 3 years now).

dandridge beat me to it.

Young and McGee are exciting to watch. The future looks bright for those two. Also, Juan's looking more and more like the team's most effective PG (at least on offense he is).

What I didn't like was all the forced shots by Butler and Jamison and the horrifically bad defense played by the entire team.

I see the potential alright. Potential to lose about 55 games if they don't start playing any defense.
Bye bye Beal.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#208 » by Rafael122 » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:41 pm

If it's a lottery pick, trade it. Outside of Rubio, its not a very good draft class.

Package it with Etan or Daniels, and you save maybe $7 million off the bat, a little bit less if they have to take a player back.

Don't pick up OPEC and McGuire's options. Roughly another $2 million saved.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#209 » by doclinkin » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:42 pm

nate33 wrote:
doclinkin wrote:[ It should be interesting to see Big JaVa on superman in orlando.

Hmmm. I'm not sure he's ready for that yet. McGee just doesn't have the bulk to deal with Howard. EJ should probably start Etan just to lean on Howard for the first 6 minutes of each half - soften him up a bit before putting in McGee.

Yep, Dwight's too big and strong. I'll just be interested to see his surprise to find someone as athletic and highflying in the center position. I want to see any jumpball or highbounce contested rebound. I don't expect JaVale to win the match-up, just want to see the two launching like rockets.
RealGM

Post#210 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:42 pm

nate33 wrote:
P'Oed wrote:God bless Etan and his will to fight through such heart problems and play but man....does he suck at center or what? Like what is it that Etan does for this team? He doesn't rebound. He's too short to play D against centers. He has no offensive ability. He doesn't make free throws. THe guy is good for a block or two a game that the team can't rebound anyway... Can someone remind me why we didn't let him walk to the Bucks a few years ago?

At the time, just about everyone on the board wanted to match the Bucks' offer and retain him. The only dissenters that I recall were me and Severn Hoos.

I must not have been posting much then.
Bye bye Beal.
crackhed
Assistant Coach
And1: 66

Post#211 » by crackhed » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:42 pm

trying to come up with more athletic 7 footers in the nba, current and past, and i gotta say mcgee looks like something special at center. maybe the basketball gods finally smiled on the wizards.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the kind of man I am"
H. Simpson
RealGM

Post#212 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:46 pm

nate33 wrote:

Agreed.

Howard won't easily muscle Etan around like he would McGee.
Bye bye Beal.
20MexicanosIn1Van
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#213 » by 20MexicanosIn1Van » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:48 pm

I thought Eddie Jordan actually coached a pretty good game, can't blame this loss on him.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#214 » by doclinkin » Sat Nov 8, 2008 5:48 pm

crackhed wrote:trying to come up with more athletic 7 footers in the nba, current and past, and i gotta say mcgee looks like something special at center. maybe the basketball gods finally smiled on the wizards.

SSHH!! Dont taunt or tempt them lest they punish us for pride. The world is hard and we suffer gladly under their will, one day perhaps paradise until then only work and toil for the wizfan. Give thanks even for losses. Javale McGee is a fine palyer of good character, alas that he plays for the Wiz who being chosen are marked for special attention of the whim and will of the basketball gawds...
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#215 » by doclinkin » Sat Nov 8, 2008 6:16 pm

Rafael122 wrote:If it's a lottery pick, trade it. Outside of Rubio, its not a very good draft class.

Too early to say. BUt this draft looks deep in decent point guards. Wherever we end up I bet we could steal a decent PG talent for the bench. Though as of today shoot I'd give Juan Dixon the rest of the year and a short extension.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#216 » by fishercob » Sat Nov 8, 2008 6:43 pm

Blake Griffin and BJ Mullens are going to be very highly rated. I don't know that they'd fit here, but they'd fetch a lot in a trade
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#217 » by dobrojim » Sat Nov 8, 2008 7:35 pm

agree with BobbyD that we pretty much got the player
rotations that we've been calling for.

But I disagree with you and agree with CCJ, the defensive
softness is on the coaches. I just don't see any willingness
to stay in someone's jersey. They continually slough off
to protect the paint and the result is consistently open
perimeter ie 3 pt shooters. There is no excuse for allowing
the number of made 3s we allow.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
jholmbe1
Senior
And1: 2

Post#218 » by jholmbe1 » Sat Nov 8, 2008 7:51 pm

I'd agree that the rotations were better last night but he still started the third quarter with Stevenson/Daniel and they predictably put us in a 13 point hole.

I'm not giving up on this season yet but if we get a high lottery pick I think we gotta take Rubio
omegatronic3
Junior
And1: 5

Post#219 » by omegatronic3 » Sat Nov 8, 2008 10:06 pm

On Mcgees Athleticism....I think there are certainly big men as athletic... I think Amare is probabl the most athletic big man I've ever seen. Amare can run and jump like a 2 guard in a PF body...he's got like a 40" vert!! Mcdyse and the Rainman in their days were close too. Dwight Howard is probably the most athletic 7 footer but the tantilizing thing about Mcgee is his athleticism in combination with his height and length.

He's a legit 7 footer with a 7'6" wingspan . I'm not sure what his standing reach is but it's gotta be about the longest in the league...probably 9'5" or so... that makes a dunk for him as easy as falling off a log.
Combine all that with good hands and good touch, and a jump shot and you have a winning combination.

Time will tell if he develops a good feel for the game and stays healthy but without a doubt he's the brightest prospect the Wizards have...and just about the only reason to watch them till Arenas get back.
CrankyTodd
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#220 » by CrankyTodd » Sat Nov 8, 2008 11:24 pm

omegatronic3 wrote:On Mcgees Athleticism....I think there are certainly big men as athletic... I think Amare is probabl the most athletic big man I've ever seen. Amare can run and jump like a 2 guard in a PF body...he's got like a 40" vert!!

Mcdyse and the Rainman in their days were close too. Dwight Howard is probably the most athletic 7 footer but the tantilizing thing about Mcgee is his athleticism in combination with his height and length.

He's a legit 7 footer with a 7'6" wingspan . I'm not sure what his standing reach is but it's gotta be about the longest in the league...probably 9'5" or so... that makes a dunk for him as easy as falling off a log.
Combine all that with good hands and good touch, and a jump shot and you have a winning combination.

Time will tell if he develops a good feel for the game and stays healthy but without a doubt he's the brightest prospect the Wizards have...and just about the only reason to watch them till Arenas get back.

9'6.5 in the pre-draft measurements. He has the best standing reach in the entire pre-draft measurement database, which seems to go back over a decade, other than Pavel Podkolzine. I assume Yao has a better standing reach, but he's not in the database. I think at full extension on a jump he probably reaches as high as a young Shaq (9'3 reach and 36" vert vs 9'6.5 and 32.5), and probably better than anyone else, although Dwight Howard would be close.

Like I said, just teach him the Shaq low post spin move, and he'll be putting down alley oops like crazy.

Return to Washington Wizards