ImageImageImageImageImage

Semi OT- Would E. Jordan be a good coach for Sixers?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Semi OT- Would E. Jordan be a good coach for Sixers? 

Post#1 » by tk76 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:13 pm

Since most of the Sixers board are calling for Mo Cheeks to be let go for being unable to install any offense, do you recommend Eddie for the job? He has a strong connection with the Sixers GM Ed Stephanski back from their Nets days, so I think there is a real chance Eddie will end up in Philly by next year (Mo has only a one year deal.)

With Sam Dalembert, Brand, Iguodala and Thad Young defense should not be a problem. Eddie has the reputation as a good offensive mind- but was it the talent or the scheme?

Do you think Eddie and the Sixers are a good fit?
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 550

Re: Semi OT- Would E. Jordan be a good coach for Sixers? 

Post#2 » by daSwami » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:28 pm

Depends on your personnel. EJ would be a great asst head coach in charge of the offense, but that's about it. During his 4 years here, this team has consistently been one of the worst defensive teams in the league, despite having players that should, in theory, be good defenders.
:banghead:
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#3 » by LyricalRico » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:30 pm

Eddie would be a horrible fit because you have quality big men and talented young players - two things he hates. He'd fall in love with Reggie Evans because he "hustles" and a guy like Iguodala would play PF regularly. He'd yank guys like Thaddeous Young and Louis Williams every time they made a mistake and forget about Marreese Speights even seeing the floor for about 2-3 years.

Remember - Eddie Jordan is the same guy that wanted the Wizards to sign Kevin Ollie instead of Gilbert Arenas. He's also the same guy that started Jarvis Hayes over Caron Butler. He's also the guy who relied on Michael Ruffin in crunch time. If you even think he has any interest in coaching your team, run. Run for your life!
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#4 » by tk76 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:32 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Remember - Eddie Jordan is the same guy that wanted the Wizards to sign Kevin Ollie instead of Gilbert Arenas. He's also the same guy that started Jarvis Hayes over Caron Butler. He's also the guy who relied on Michael Ruffin in crunch time. If you even think he has any interest in coaching your team, run. Run for your life!

Ouch.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#5 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:47 pm

EJ was a tremendous stabilizing force for a franchise in desperate need of professionalism. After two decades of awful coaching and knee-jerk, incompetent management, he came in an steadied the ship. He also allowed gifted players to shine offensively within a scheme that, when flowing, was great to watch.

However, he hit his glass ceiling after about three years. His rotation issues, in game management and lack of attention to defense had the team spinning its wheels.

IMO, the Sixers are beyond what EJ could bring you as a head coach. You have a nice nucleus of young players and, with the acquisition of Brand, seem determined to fast track your way to competing with the league's elite. Eddie would be a huge get for you as an offensive assistant, but not as a head coach.
In Rizzo we trust
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#6 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:33 pm

We already have those sub problems. We just suck big time at the O. So I'm willing to see the wacky subs in order to see offense actually being played.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#7 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:34 pm

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:We already have those sub problems. We just suck big time at the O. So I'm willing to see the wacky subs in order to see offense actually being played.

Be careful what you wish for, my friend.
In Rizzo we trust
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#8 » by LyricalRico » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:47 pm

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:We already have those sub problems. We just suck big time at the O. So I'm willing to see the wacky subs in order to see offense actually being played.

Well, a couple people have said that Eddie Jordan as your top offensive assistant would probably be a good thing. I'd agree with that and I fully expect him to have some assistant coach offers next season. Just don't make him the head coach, that's all.
go'stags
Sixth Man
And1: 29

Post#9 » by go'stags » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:44 pm

EJ is the perfect coah for what the wizards were when he took over. We were a joke, and he restored us to respectability. However, IMO he lacks the ability to take a team to that "next" level-true contender.

i dont think he would be a good fit in Philly, because you seem to have a guy who restored you to a respectable level in Cheeks. You would be better going with someone else IMO.
LyricalRico wrote:
Speaking of giant penises, what's up with Bobby Simmons?.

Return to Washington Wizards