ImageImageImageImageImage

D-League, Why Don't We Use It?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

D-League, Why Don't We Use It? 

Post#1 » by closg00 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:44 pm

Reading the wires, I see that Houston sent Dorsey to the D-League, and the Spurs just sent Hariston. If I recall correctly, PJR was the last Wiz player to be sent to the D-League. McGee needs to be sent instead of riding the pine. Thoughts?
WIZKID
Senior
And1: 14

Re: D-League, Why Don't We Use It? 

Post#2 » by WIZKID » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:57 pm

Can Pech still go ??
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#3 » by fishercob » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:05 pm

This would be a great question for Ivan to ask, because it's clearly an organizational philosophy.

My guess is that it's a control thing and Ernie would rather have the kids sitting on our bench -- but watching film and practicing with our coaches -- than riding busses and playing minutes in a looser league with lesser competition.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,349

Post#4 » by nate33 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:18 pm

I think it's our system. They don't run the Princeton Offense in D-League.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#5 » by fishercob » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:35 pm

nate33 wrote:I think it's our system. They don't run the Princeton Offense in D-League.

I doubt that explains it entirely. For one thing, we don't run the strict Princeton offense. And even if we did, it's more a series of principles and reads than it is a "this guy passes to this guy and goes to this spot" kind of thing. There are plenty of other NBA teams that share some similar philosophies, so it wouldnt surprise me if some of that was taught some at the D-League level..
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#6 » by LyricalRico » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:58 pm

nate33 wrote:I think it's our system. They don't run the Princeton Offense in D-League.

I would have agreed with you were EJ still the coach. But I'd be very surprised if the Princeton offense is in this team's future beyond this season. That is yet another reason why Tapscott's strategy is so confusing. It goes contrary to what I would think Grunfeld would want in this situation.

I'm pretty sure Pesh can go but he might be at a point where he has to consent. As for McGee, I think it would be a bad idea to send him now. If you think going from starting and being a crowd favorite to getting minimal minutes is a hit to his confidence, what would sending him to the minor leagues do?

Starting McGee was very short-sighted if the team didn't intend on him being a key player this year because he has nowhere to go but down after that. Yet another player development mistake by this inept organization.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#7 » by MJG » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:28 pm

Are there any teams that really, truly extensively use the D-League? There are certainly one-off send-downs and call-ups from time to time, but I didn't think there were any teams really taking serious advantage of it.

There probably needs to be a better structure in place before it can really take off. Give each team it's own D-League team, and have them travel with the main team and play games the same night in a local gym or practice arena. Base them out of the same city as the parent team. Basically, create sort of a JV to the main team's varsity, rather than sending guys off to a remote location with one member of your staff and hope for the best.

Not sure if that would work or not. But I do know that as structured now, I don't really see much advantage with sending guys down there, and I'm fine with us not using it.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,349

Post#8 » by nate33 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:00 pm

MJG wrote:There probably needs to be a better structure in place before it can really take off. Give each team it's own D-League team, and have them travel with the main team and play games the same night in a local gym or practice arena. Base them out of the same city as the parent team. Basically, create sort of a JV to the main team's varsity, rather than sending guys off to a remote location with one member of your staff and hope for the best.

Yup. And rather than a 15-man roster with 12 eligible to dress, each team should have a 22 man roster with 12 eligible to dress. All the rest of them should be on the developmental squad. There should be no 3-year limitation for the developmental squad either. It should be just like the minor leagues in baseball.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#9 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:52 pm

NBA needs to follow the NHL's style with double AA and single A minors. Create something equivalent to the AHL where teams can stack up draft picks and foreign players and train them to play in their system.

A huge reason why the Caps are doing good this year despite the injuries is because our AHL affiliate runs the same system as us. The rookies and vets in the AHL come up to the pros and don't need to adjust all over again.

I know we have Dakota as our affiliate but when was the last time we used it as a means of development? We could send down Pech and Crittendon, heck maybe even DeShawn.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#10 » by 80sballboy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:26 pm

I agree that we should send Pech and Critt, who are eligible. Of course, we can't send DeSuck down, but I know that's a joke. Not sure that McGee would improve. Yes, he would get more playing time but what about the coaching? Do they have solid coaching for big men in the D-league? Not saying we have solid coaching in terms of Tap and WJR but Tony Massenburg and Phil Hubbard at least played the game at a pretty high level.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#11 » by hands11 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:08 pm

nate33 wrote:
MJG wrote:There probably needs to be a better structure in place before it can really take off. Give each team it's own D-League team, and have them travel with the main team and play games the same night in a local gym or practice arena. Base them out of the same city as the parent team. Basically, create sort of a JV to the main team's varsity, rather than sending guys off to a remote location with one member of your staff and hope for the best.

Yup. And rather than a 15-man roster with 12 eligible to dress, each team should have a 22 man roster with 12 eligible to dress. All the rest of them should be on the developmental squad. There should be no 3-year limitation for the developmental squad either. It should be just like the minor leagues in baseball.

Yeah, that would be awesome.

I think there is a lot of talent around that never gets out of the gates because of the limited rosters and salaries. It takes to long for players like Blake, Simmons, Blatche, Dixon, PJR, Profit to get a steady chance to get better. I would imagine in a JV league like this you could carry more local talent also making each pro team have a little more regional feel to them as well.

I think its a great idea.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#12 » by mohammed10 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:50 pm

Don't we still have PJ Ramos there? lol
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
GetInMyBelly
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#13 » by GetInMyBelly » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:01 pm

I think the D-League for JaVale is a good idea. It's not the worst thing from a confidence standpoint if they do it right. I'm out here in LA, and 2 years ago Joradn Farmar was the 3rd string PG on the Lakers. They would send him down for D-League games in the afternoon, then he'd suit up for NBA games in the evening...same-day. I did wonders for his development and confidence. He's a legit backup PG and will take over for Fisher in the next 2-3 years.

No one should care about the offensive "system", especially since we have an interim coach and the system will be different next year. We should just care about developing these young guys so that they can be effective in 2-3 years....at which time, we'll trade them for an aging has-been so they can be successful for another team.
closg00
RealGM

Post#14 » by closg00 » Fri Jan 9, 2009 2:18 am

The Boston Celtics announced today that they have recalled rookie guard J.R. Giddens and rookie forward Bill Walker from their NBA Development League affiliate Utah Flash. Giddens appeared in 13 games for the Flash averaging 17.3 points, 6.5 rebounds, 2.2 rebounds, 1.46 steals, a team-high 1.54 blocks all in a team-high 37.6 minutes per game. Giddens was ranked 20th in the NBDL in scoring, 13th in field goal percentage (53.5%) and seventh in blocks. The former New Mexico Lobo was the selected by the Celtics with the 30th overall pick in the 2008 NBA Draft. Walker appeared in 15 games for the Flash averaging a team-high 18.7 points, 5.3 rebounds, 1.5 assists and 1.33 steals in 30.5 minutes per game. Walker was ranked 11th in the NBDL in scoring and sixth in field goal percentage (55.7%). The former Kansas State Wildcat was acquired in a draft night trade with the Washington Wizards in exchange for cash considerations.

What's the Wizards idea of player development? DNP's on the bench. We haven't used the NBDL since PJR. What? does it cost extra money to send someone?? That could be the issue.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#15 » by doclinkin » Fri Jan 9, 2009 2:24 am

Man. I always hate the reminder that the Celts stole my draft. Giddens and Walker were my two top sleeper picks for the 2nd round. Can't stand the fact that they slipped out our grasp. I 'bout blew a vessel when I heard we sold off Billy Walker for jackdiddly. And I always thought GM Danny Ainge was a nincompoop. Guess the poop's on the Wiz this time. Dang.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#16 » by Wizards2Lottery » Fri Jan 9, 2009 4:31 am

Pecherov could be working on his game in the D-league...
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#17 » by W. Unseld » Fri Jan 9, 2009 7:37 pm

My only theory for Pech is that they're hoping that he has some trade value and don't want to blow it b/c they know he won't do well in the less organized style of the D-league. It's a thin theory.
cwb3
Rookie
And1: 85

Post#18 » by cwb3 » Fri Jan 9, 2009 9:54 pm

Lets just call the season off, let Jamison, Butler, Etan, Songalia, and Dixon take a long vacation, and turn the rest of the team into a D-League squad! :D
montestewart wrote:Players really should wait until they're rookie coaches to become GMs.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#19 » by pancakes3 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:17 pm

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... sco01.html
http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/i ... rtney_sims

i don't think any team has rights to him. trade etan for draft pick(s) and sign this guy to a min contract? i mean... could you see etan averaging 20/12 in the D-league?

but then again judging by his lack of production in the league, or even summer league, his stats seem inflated higher than the zimbabwe dollar. anyway, i'm ready to take a gamble. If the C's called up 2 d-league players, we're certainly not above calling one up are we?
Bullets -> Wizards
closg00
RealGM

Post#20 » by closg00 » Thu Mar 5, 2009 4:31 pm

JaVale McGee, Wizards
In July, I suggested that McGee should be seeing lots of D-League time. Not because he lacks talent, but for the opposite reason, actually. He's really talented, and as of today has played 30 or more minutes just once thus far.

In July, before injuries hit the Wizards' front line, it looked like McGee would get even fewer minutes than he has ended up playing, which was 16.6 per game in February. In order to see just what they have in this young athlete, the Wiz would be wise to play him far more in March and April, including giving him extensive minutes in at least a few games. The reference points alone for McGee would be worth it. Otherwise, perhaps a few weeks of D-League action, with him getting 35-plus minutes and being the focus of the offense, would have been a wise choice.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/s ... ies-090304

Return to Washington Wizards