ImageImageImageImageImage

Denver @ Washington (2/6)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

TheBigThree
Starter
And1: 124

Re: Denver @ Washington (2/6) 

Post#61 » by TheBigThree » Sat Feb 7, 2009 3:12 am

miller31time wrote:I swear to god, if we hire a guy like Sam Mitchell or just promote a guy like Wes Unseld Jr, I seriously might disown this franchise.

No doubt. I nearly threw up in my mouth when I read the Mitchell rumor.
TheBigThree
Starter

Post#62 » by TheBigThree » Sat Feb 7, 2009 3:14 am

G'damn, you'd think with a guy like McGee on the team we'd know how to throw proper lob passes for alley-oops. The 2 thrown tonight have been so terrible, lol
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#63 » by yungal07 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 3:15 am

hermitkid wrote:
miller31time wrote:
hermitkid wrote:
I'd like to see us deal Butler and Young for a two guard that can rebound, gives effort on defense and can knock down a jumper. The sad part is that Mason, while not a stellar defender, fit that mold perfectly.

No he doesn't. Roger doesn't defend nor rebound well. He can knock down an open shot but let's not make him out to be more than he is.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#64 » by miller31time » Sat Feb 7, 2009 3:17 am

hermitkid wrote:
miller31time wrote:
hermitkid wrote:And it was Dominic who let him pass by and Antawn with the (lack of) help defense, giving up the and-1.

Next season can't come soon enough. We'll have our best offensive player and our best defensive player back, with a top-3 pick (or hopefully a star power forward).

I still don't see much hope for this team with Butler and Jamison in the starting lineup. You can hide one hapless defender, Arenas, but you can't do the same with 3 out of the starting 5 being hopeless.

I'd like to see us deal Butler and Young for a two guard that can rebound, gives effort on defense and can knock down a jumper. The sad part is that Mason, while not a stellar defender, fit that mold perfectly.

Landing Griffin would give us exactly what we need at the four. An effort guy that rebounds and can score without having the offense run for him. Between him and Haywood we'd have a pretty impressive forward center tandem.

If we're trading any of our big-3, it has to be Jamison.

When this roster is healthy and Caron is motivated, he is an average to slightly-above-average defender. He's the perfect complimentary player.

We're not going to win a title with Jamison in the starting lineup. I've said it many times - for as good as he is on offense, he's equally as bad on defense and there is no hope for improvement.

Package Jamison with the pick and another youngster for a star power forward or deal Jamison for a complimentary player like Salmons and a pick.

I don't want to see Caron go unless we're getting a steal.
Ced67
Senior
And1: 0

Post#65 » by Ced67 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 3:19 am

lol at the wave
"We kept acquiring projects. Nick is a project. JaVale is a project. Javaris is a project. Eventually when you have enough projects, you live in the 'hood." --Gilbert Arenas

john2jer wrote:Only way we trade [Delonte] West is if Paul, Howard, or Kobe is coming back.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by miller31time » Sat Feb 7, 2009 3:20 am

By the way, Buckhantz was right in the beginning of the season - McGee is a much better free throw shooter than his numbers imply. He has good form and I think the reason he shot so poorly at the start of the year was because of nerves.

He's been really solid the last few weeks.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by miller31time » Sat Feb 7, 2009 3:20 am

THE WAVE!!!!!!!!
Ji
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#68 » by Ji » Sat Feb 7, 2009 3:22 am

wave this season goodbye. Only way we start to rebound is if abe Pollin passes away
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#69 » by JWizmentality » Sat Feb 7, 2009 3:24 am

I've only one comment for this game...MY GAWD PECHEROV IS SUCK!
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#70 » by JWizmentality » Sat Feb 7, 2009 3:25 am

Ji wrote:wave this season goodbye. Only way we start to rebound is if abe Pollin passes away

C'mon dude, you really need to stop that.
TheBigThree
Starter

Post#71 » by TheBigThree » Sat Feb 7, 2009 3:26 am

JWizmentality wrote:I've only one comment for this game...MY GAWD PECHEROV IS SUCK!

Pech is suck if our dumb coaching staff really tries to get him to go in there and bang around. Worthy of being drafted where he was? No, probably not. But on a healthy team he'd be a nice guy to have coming off the bench. Just let him be himself.
GilArenas88
Sixth Man

Post#72 » by GilArenas88 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 3:41 am

Dude this is like Pech's second game of the season getting significant minutes, give him awhiled before you start to determine what he is.
lupin
Sixth Man

Post#73 » by lupin » Sat Feb 7, 2009 4:12 am

honest question: is Ayers still coaching on this team or was he released with Jordan et al?
------------------------------
New RealGM :: New Coke :: is the suck.
Ced67
Senior

Post#74 » by Ced67 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 4:29 am

lupin wrote:honest question: is Ayers still coaching on this team or was he released with Jordan et al?

He's still here, I think he's Tap's #1 Assistant
"We kept acquiring projects. Nick is a project. JaVale is a project. Javaris is a project. Eventually when you have enough projects, you live in the 'hood." --Gilbert Arenas

john2jer wrote:Only way we trade [Delonte] West is if Paul, Howard, or Kobe is coming back.
lupin
Sixth Man

Post#75 » by lupin » Sat Feb 7, 2009 4:34 am

So why is all the talk always about Wes Jr? Surely Tapscott should be leaning on the guy who put the 'defense' together and also has prior head coaching experience in the NBA?
------------------------------
New RealGM :: New Coke :: is the suck.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#76 » by dobrojim » Sat Feb 7, 2009 4:56 am

Ji wrote:wave this season goodbye. Only way we start to rebound is if abe Pollin passes away

just back from the game reading through this

Ji,

that's a really tasteless comment, it's as un-defensivable (made up word, sorry)
as the Wiz defense was. I'd be ashamed to have made that comment. Seriously.
^^^^^^^^^^
And that was really the whole game, pathetic Wiz D. I fully suspect that if you looked at
the first 3 quarters when DEN played their reg rotation guys, our points allowed per defensive
possession had to be off the charts, epically bad. We let them do whatever they wanted
to do and put forth no resistance whatsoever. I don't care how many guys are hurt,
who's playing, whatever, to not play defense any better than that is beyond pathetic.
They did whatever they wanted, over and over and over again.

Listening to the radio on the way home (on hold waiting to get on, never did)
Robert came on and made some really solid comments. Re under/overrated
players, AJ's WAY overrated. He puts up the emptiest numbers one could possibly
imagine. We need Thibs SO BAD it isn't even funny.

the only good thing about going down was that I unloaded the 4 uppers I had
for one club level seat with a scalper outside. Not sure why he made the deal
but I was happy to take it. Club level is a nice view of a nauseating game.
Actually it was more comedic than anything else. DEN easily could have
scored 130 pts if they wanted to. I bet a decent defensive coach could
take some of THE worst defensive players in the league, and have them
executing at a higher level than what we saw tonight, which was pretty
typical of the year generally as well.

Enough.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,349

Post#77 » by nate33 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 5:21 am

I haven't read much of this thread yet.

I just wanted to say that Javale McGee is simply terrible on defense. He makes all the wrong rotations. Whenever he was in the game, Denver had a field day. Don't get me wrong, I think he has a lot of potential with his athleticism and motor; but right now, he has the lowest basketball IQ on the team. He has no idea what he is doing out there.
gowiz999
Veteran

Post#78 » by gowiz999 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 5:43 am

"It was embarrassing," Antawn Jamison said. "It's embarrassing to play at home and get booed by your fans. Time after time. The coaches are doing a great job telling us what to expect, what we need to do and certain guys don't take it the way they need to take it. For me, it's getting frustrating. To not protect the paint, not protect your teammates. On one end of the floor, you're a superstar but when it comes to competing and doing the things that take to win, you don't sacrifice for the team. That's frustrating.

"Honestly, I thought some of my guys were scared to be out there playing tonight. What are you supposed to do?"

AJ is such a hypocrite. :-?
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#79 » by MJG » Sat Feb 7, 2009 5:46 am

nate33 wrote:I haven't read much of this thread yet.

I just wanted to say that Javale McGee is simply terrible on defense. He makes all the wrong rotations. Whenever he was in the game, Denver had a field day. Don't get me wrong, I think he has a lot of potential with his athleticism and motor; but right now, he has the lowest basketball IQ on the team. He has no idea what he is doing out there.

I only watched the first fifteen minutes or so of this one, but from what I saw, McGee was borderline embarrassing on defense. They had like a half dozen layups/dunks in a row that were almost entirely his fault from being out of position or going for overzealous blocks on drivers. Definitely has lots of fundamentals to work on before next season.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#80 » by keynote » Sat Feb 7, 2009 5:57 am

Jamison's comments, courtesy of Ivan:

"It was embarrassing," Antawn Jamison said. "It's embarrassing to play at home and get booed by your fans. Time after time. The coaches are doing a great job telling us what to expect, what we need to do and certain guys don't take it the way they need to take it. For me, it's getting frustrating. To not protect the paint, not protect your teammates. On one end of the floor, you're a superstar but when it comes to competing and doing the things that take to win, you don't sacrifice for the team. That's frustrating.

More Jamison: "Honestly, I thought some of my guys were scared to be out there playing tonight. What are you supposed to do?"

QFT. I know that Jamison is a terrible defender, but it's not for lack of trying. But the youngsters looked confused and/or lax out there.

I am concerned about our coaching staff's ability to develop young talent. From a fan's perspective, our youngsters range in dedication and work ethic from the lazy (Blatche) to the slightly goofy (Young) to the average work ethic (McGuire, McGee), to the "gym rat" (Pecherov). Yet one thing is clear: we have yet to see significant improvement in BBall IQ and/or fundamentals in any of them.

Blatche many of the same boneheaded decisions he made in Year One. Frankly, one could attribute his improvement solely to physical maturity, rather than any fundamental skills development.

I'm going to cut and paste this into a new thread (do we have a "How to coach youngsters" thread?).
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.

Return to Washington Wizards