Gilbert not on the bench

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Re: Gilbert not on the bench 

Post#21 » by miller31time » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:47 am

I'd rather Gilbert play the last month of the season and us win an extra 5 games than us go into full tank-mode, provided he's 100% (which I believe, after another month, he will be).
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#22 » by yungal07 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:01 am

JWizmentality wrote:Oh stop yer whining ya bunch of pansies!!

Seriously man. It's like the game thread from last night. People were complaining about Pech's game after we just won on a great buzzer beater. It's like we've become a raging bunch of crybabies.
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#23 » by FreeBalling » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:12 am

yungal07 wrote:

It's like we've become a raging bunch of crybabies.

Not like this, say it ant so.

FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#24 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:54 am

yungal07 wrote:

Seriously man. It's like the game thread from last night. People were complaining about Pech's game after we just won on a great buzzer beater. It's like we've become a raging bunch of crybabies.

:vent:
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#25 » by MJG » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:19 am

Count me in as a "Who cares?" vote. Maybe I don't have especially high standards or something, but I don't expect the guy to go to every single game when all he can do is sit there and cheer. Now, maybe if he skipped all of our games, I'd question that, but we're in the dregs of mid-season - what's the real harm if he misses some games?
GilArenas88
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#26 » by GilArenas88 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:12 am

I don't care either that Gil's on the bench, not a big deal. What make me pissed is us fans are totally left out in the cold of any knowledge about a return time.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#27 » by Wizardspride » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:29 pm

GilArenas88 wrote:I don't care either that Gil's on the bench, not a big deal. What make me pissed is us fans are totally left out in the cold of any knowledge about a return time.

Just assume that Gibert won't return this season.

It's easier that way.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
lupin
Sixth Man

Post#28 » by lupin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:49 pm

You want speculation? Why does the team kick out all of the reporters EVERY time Gil gets ready to have one of his famous one-on-one/one-on-two games with the Bobsy Twins (Young and McGuire)?

Btw, the Post reported that Haywood is actually still pretty close to his playing weight. His arms might look a little smaller because he hasn't been able to do any heavy lifting with his upper body due to his injury.
------------------------------
New RealGM :: New Coke :: is the suck.
cwb3
Rookie
And1: 85

Post#29 » by cwb3 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:21 pm

lupin wrote:You want speculation? Why does the team kick out all of the reporters EVERY time Gil gets ready to have one of his famous one-on-one/one-on-two games with the Bobsy Twins (Young and McGuire)?. . .

I'm guessing that they want to keep people guessing about his capabilities right now, while he works his way back. The last thing I would want to see is some newsreel of him looking like Travis Diener on the court, 'cause he does not have his legs yet.
montestewart wrote:Players really should wait until they're rookie coaches to become GMs.
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst

Post#30 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:30 pm

I'm really worried about Gil. They might not be showing him because he still looks gimpy and they don't want people to freak out.

OTOH if it gets out that Gil is completely healthy and the organization is holding him out in order to tank it would bring down Stern's wrath.

So unfortunately there's equally plausible reasons not to let the press see Gil play in both directions.
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#31 » by BigA » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:00 pm

ZonkertheBrainless wrote:I'm really worried about Gil. They might not be showing him because he still looks gimpy and they don't want people to freak out.

OTOH if it gets out that Gil is completely healthy and the organization is holding him out in order to tank it would bring down Stern's wrath.

So unfortunately there's equally plausible reasons not to let the press see Gil play in both directions.

For the nearly two years Gilbert has been injured, "no news=bad news," which has me apprehensive.
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#32 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:01 pm

MJG wrote:Count me in as a "Who cares?" vote. Maybe I don't have especially high standards or something, but I don't expect the guy to go to every single game when all he can do is sit there and cheer. Now, maybe if he skipped all of our games, I'd question that, but we're in the dregs of mid-season - what's the real harm if he misses some games?

The thing is professionally he just signed a FAT contract, and it seems like the games would seemingly be mandatory to attend. What does he have better to do, play Halo? Yeah, I'd imagine it's depressing, but no more depressing than millions of Americans who hate their jobs, or worse these days the millions who can't even find a job. Dress up in one of your fly ascots, grab some popcorn, bond with your teammates, and sit your butt on the bench and watch a game. For the 50,000 you practically make DAILY is that too much to ask?

If he won't sit on the bench.... can I?
jimij
Analyst
And1: 18

Post#33 » by jimij » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm

Who cares if he's on the bench or not. He was at the arena early saturday and was around the team, just not out front on the bench.

One of my buddies is associated with the team and from his talks w/ Gil last week, my friend is convinced he'll that Gil will be back shortly after the all-star break. He said that at this point its mostly in Gil's head rather than that the knee is actually bothering him and that he's just been gun shy. He said that Gil has seen 7 different doctors to get opinions on the knee and that they've all told him the same thing - that the knee is fine. My friend thinks Gil is finally starting to believe that the knee is okay and that once he decides to play, he'll be back on the court VERY soon.
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#34 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:12 pm

jimij wrote:

One of my buddies is associated with the team and from his talks w/ Gil last week, my friend is convinced he'll that Gil will be back shortly after the all-star break. He said that at this point its mostly in Gil's head rather than that the knee is actually bothering him and that he's just been gun shy. He said that Gil has seen 7 different doctors to get opinions on the knee and that they've all told him the same thing - that the knee is fine. My friend thinks Gil is finally starting to believe that the knee is okay and that once he decides to play, he'll be back on the court VERY soon.

:pray: Let it be so...
sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#35 » by sashae » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:26 pm

I'll admit it, I really miss Gil playing. I don't miss all of the Agent Zero-related associated drama, but seeing clips of him raining 3's from 30 feet away, cruising effortlessly to the basket, and basically making us a much happier/more fun team to watch.

My fingers are crossed... and toes.
ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#36 » by DCZards » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:00 pm

Gilbert may not be on the bench but he and most of the boys, including Caron, Antwan, Javelle, Nick and Andray, were partying at The Park on 14th after their win on Sunday.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#37 » by dobrojim » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:05 pm

I miss all that, less so the drama however entertaining.

I''m still suffering from the mistaken belief that he was back (last year).
I remember a move he made in a game late last year, just a couple
games into his comeback. Hard cut to dart between defenders to
a reverse layup...I thought that signaled his return.

I miss him mostly because when he's out there, there's almost always
a chance we can win. Against anyone. Because you never know
when he might drop 40 on you.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#38 » by queridiculo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:13 pm

I'm a staunch Arenas defender, but I have to admit, this is starting to get really old. The least the Wizards and Arenas could do is say SOMETHING. If I was a season ticket holder and I had to put up with the teams terrible performance without so much as a word on whether they expect Arenas to suit up and any point this season I'd be furious.

What makes it worse are his comments about tanking, and the fact that he doesn't show to any of the games.

I'm still holding out hope that he'll make one of his famous unannounced appearances just after the all-star break.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#39 » by Wizardspride » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:14 pm

hermitkid wrote:
What makes it worse are his comments about tanking, and the fact that he doesn't show to any of the games.

Actually, Gilbert has attended most of the games this season.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#40 » by queridiculo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:22 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
hermitkid wrote:

Actually, Gilbert has attended most of the games this season.

Strange, just seems like I haven't seen him at any of the games I've watched so far this year.

Return to Washington Wizards