ImageImageImageImageImage

I hate this season (formerly Tapscott/Vets thread)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,014

Re: I hate this season (formerly Tapscott/Vets thread) 

Post#121 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Apr 2, 2009 11:29 pm

jimij wrote:Gotta love this exchange from the latest wiz insider posting after Young got excited in the locker room after watching game film of a Rudy Gay dunk:

Eventually Jamison got fed up, shouted some unprintables and said, "C'mon now, Nick. Why don't you make a highlight yourself?"

Young shot back, "I could if you guys would pass."

"Don't look at me. I only have the ball two seconds when I get it," Jamison.

"And it's going up," Young said.

"Maybe I would give you the ball if you stopped shooting with eight people on you," Jamison said.

"That's the only shot I can get," Young said.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/

I'll say this for AJ and Young, they may have been joking but they hit the nail on the head with the problems for both of them. Nick dribbles too much and AJ almost never passes. Kind've funny that he thinks its okay not to pass if you get a shot up quick.

jimij, that's the stuff this thread is made of.

Old vs young.

Two shotjackers arguing over shots. With who can shoot it the fastest being the rationale.

Fittingly, nobody's talking defense in the conversation.

Long season, man.
Bye bye Beal.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,014

Post#122 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Apr 2, 2009 11:31 pm

barelyawake wrote:I could list 95 reasons why we could really use Rash Wallace on this team. The first being he would shut Nick up real quick -- because he has a record that gives him cred. I loved that Rash visited our bench several times during the last Pistons game, and joked around with Arenas a lot. Considering the fact that Arenas has gone out socially with the Pistons guys several times, I think it makes a great deal of sense to attempt to bring one of them here. Rash can also distribute (as can Caron and Blatche). If we could get Rash and Hinrich here, while trading only future picks, developing youth and expiring contracts, I think we have a shot at a title. We simply MUST get another vet in here who has won something to end this youth v. vets thing. We need more (and better/tougher) vets and just the cream of the youth. I really think we keep missing the boat not trading for: KG, JO, ZO, PJ Brown, Gasol etc... I'm not saying we always had the pieces to get those guys, although IMO we did (especially if we would have wagered future picks). Rash Wallace and McDyess are there to be had. Get one.

+1

Never will happen in a million years, but a Jamison for Rasheed (sign and trade) plus considerations/filler makes a ton of sense for both teams.

Jamison's accustomed to 38-40 mins at PF. At this point, I think Rasheed could play 25-30 at PF or C and be content if the Wizards were very compettive.
Bye bye Beal.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#123 » by hands11 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 12:17 am

The Sheed bus is leaving the station. Time to get on.

Sheed would be the perfect addition to this team. As for all the AJ stuff. That's all been true since year one. I used to pull my hair out knowing we would never get far until he was the 6th man. It's why I used to push so hard to have Blatche start at PF. He may not have been a better offensive player or even a polished player but at least he would have played better D and he would have gotten the minutes to grow. It was worth the experiment.

AJ is just a tough issue to deal with. It's hard not be a AJ fan. I just wish he could play better D.

Maybe tonight we will get to see Haywood and Blatche start with AJ at SF. Something I have been to see for a long time.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#124 » by fishercob » Fri Apr 3, 2009 4:15 am

Sheed's going to San Antonio. Mark it down.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#125 » by hands11 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 6:28 am

nate33 wrote:I can definitely see how Rasheed's skills could help this team. (I don't think he'd be especially good as a locker room enforcer, but that's another topic.) Unfortunately, there's just isn't any reasonable trade package for Rasheed that makes sense from Detroit's perspective.

Rasheed is still good enough to get a 3-year MLE deal from a contending team. I'm sure somebody like San Antonio would be interested. So we can safely assume that we'll need to pay him about $6M a year to convince him to come here. There's no way for us to do that with our luxtax situation unless we send an equivalent salary to Detroit in the transaction. That means Mike James plus a pick; or Blatche plus Stevenson; or something like that.

But the problem is that Detroit is far under the cap. They have about $18M to play with in free agency but have only Amir Johnson and Jason Maxiell as big men under contract. Clearly, they're going to go after one of the quality PF's available in the free agency market: Boozer, Millsap or Lee. Either that or make a trade and acquire a guy like Shaq or Amare while giving back less than equal salary. Then they'll probably acquire more depth up front by resigning Kwame, Rasheed or McDyess (or Joe Smith or some other decent veteran big). The point is, they're not interested in paying for our filler contract when they want to use their cap room in free agency.

Obviously, the other problem is that the addition of Rasheed creates a real log jam for us. We already have Jamison, Haywood, Blatche, Songaila and McGee to man the PF and C positions. Rasheed would take all of Songaila's minutes, all of McGee's minutes, and some of Blatche's. That's a lot of money to spend on guys riding the bench.

All good points. I wasn't saying it would happen. I was just saying he would be really good for the team. It would also make a good story. Sheed comes home. As for minutes. I would gladly give up McGee minutes for a year and let him develop by learning from Sheed. Yeah, he would have to take some of DSongs and some of Haywood minutes. But to get through the grind of a season, that's fine. McGee would learn under him. Then in a year or two, you have a very well trained ubber athletic McGee really to roll out of the garage just when Sheed is hanging it up.

If you want to take a run at it all next year, your going to need more then McGee behind Haywood. While you can hope Blatche get stronger, Sheed is already there. Blatche could learn a thing or two from him also.

Return to Washington Wizards