ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread VIII: 4/21/09 - 6/25/09

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Re: Official Trade Thread VIII (Visitors Post Trades HERE!) 

Post#1401 » by nate33 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:33 pm

A big fat no to that Murphy deal. I'd MUCH rather have Blatche at $3M a year than Murphy at $11.5M a year. Particularly since we're looking for a backup player.

We need another big, but we shouldn't sacrifice much talent to get it.

The cheapest option would be to get an over-the-hill vet like Kurt Thomas or Antonio McDyess - somebody who won't mind not playing on some nights, but can still be called upon to give quality minutes when needed. Those guys might be available for Mike James' expiring and a future 2nd rounder - or maybe trade Crittenton (depending on the salaries)

The next level up would be to get a younger, role-playing banger like NIck Collison, Zaza Pachulia, Tony Battie, Kris Humphries or Haslem. Ideally, we get them by trading Stevenson plus modest incentive (short contract and cash, 2nd rounder?) but maybe we throw in Foye or Young for one of the better ones like Collison or Haslem. Frankly, Songaila would be a perfect fit.

I don't think it makes a lot of sense to go after a younger guy like Landry or Maxiell because we have enough young bigs already.

One other option would be to try to find a forgotten guy off of waivers. See if we can find a gem like Denver found Chris Anderson. A couple of potential candidates are Steve Novak and Nick Fazekas. There's also the CCJ/SevernHoos favorite: Richard Hendrix.
WashWiz54
Veteran
And1: 434

Post#1402 » by WashWiz54 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:03 pm

nate33 wrote:A big fat no to that Murphy deal. I'd MUCH rather have Blatche at $3M a year than Murphy at $11.5M a year. Particularly since we're looking for a backup player.

We need another big, but we shouldn't sacrifice much talent to get it.

The cheapest option would be to get an over-the-hill vet like Kurt Thomas or Antonio McDyess - somebody who won't mind not playing on some nights, but can still be called upon to give quality minutes when needed. Those guys might be available for Mike James' expiring and a future 2nd rounder - or maybe trade Crittenton (depending on the salaries)

The next level up would be to get a younger, role-playing banger like NIck Collison, Zaza Pachulia, Tony Battie, Kris Humphries or Haslem. Ideally, we get them by trading Stevenson plus modest incentive (short contract and cash, 2nd rounder?) but maybe we throw in Foye or Young for one of the better ones like Collison or Haslem. Frankly, Songaila would be a perfect fit.

I don't think it makes a lot of sense to go after a younger guy like Landry or Maxiell because we have enough young bigs already.

One other option would be to try to find a forgotten guy off of waivers. See if we can find a gem like Denver found Chris Anderson. A couple of potential candidates are Steve Novak and Nick Fazekas. There's also the CCJ/SevernHoos favorite: Richard Hendrix.

Sean Williams. The Nets seem not to want any part of him so he'll be cheap, and he has all the tools to be a Chris Anderson. I really see him as the next JR Smith- a team (the Nets) give up on him and he blows up for someone else (hopefully the Wiz.)

I actually compiled a list of realistic bigs we could go after via trade or free-agency: Battie, Collison, Humphries, May, Magloire, Oberto, Swift, Skinner, Wilcox, Sean Williams, and Shelden Williams.

My personal favorites are Sean Williams and Brian Skinner.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1403 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:18 pm

Here's one:

Wizards trade: DeBrick, Critt, and #32
Nets trade: Hassell and Boone

It would depend on NJ being willing to take on an extra year of salary.
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#1404 » by yungal07 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:56 pm

What about Camby? I think he can also be had for cheap. Critt+James+ our 2nd rounder for Camby.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#1405 » by WizarDynasty » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:56 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Here's one:

Wizards trade: DeBrick, Critt, and #32
Nets trade: Hassell and Boone

It would depend on NJ being willing to take on an extra year of salary.

there is no toughness to boone's game at all and Hassell is washed up.
I like Boston's free agent leon powe.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
Pollinator
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#1406 » by Pollinator » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:58 pm

Mike Jones's blog at the Washington Times says the Wiz may be trying to either trade up from #32 into the 1st round or to package this with one of their excess guards for a veteran big man. That's the only semi-official indication that they're actually trying to do something about the thin frontcourt we got going on right now.

I've been saying for a while that I'd like to see them trade Blatche in some package for a #1 to draft Blair- that would almost make me okay with the trade. (The Miller/Foye trade, that is.)
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#1407 » by pancakes3 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:16 am

I hope Blatche won't be in any deals for us to nab blair/hansborough. Blatche's size and ability to guard Centers is too valuable even with McGee developing his game. I also hope James isn't in any deals either since his expiring is money squirreled away to guarantee resigning Haywood. Foye/Miller's expirings i hope will be lumped together to resign one or the other while giving us the option to also resign Haywood.

That leaves Stevenson/Critt/DMac on the trading block. I know DMac's a fan favorite (mine as well) but seeing as how he's now 2b, maybe even 3rd on the SF depth chart, he's not untouchable anymore.

I think trading into NEXT year's 1st round would be a better deal than trading into this year's. Next year's lottery is going to be stacked with a lot more talented prospects than this year's. John Wall, Willie Warren, Ed Davis, Patrick Patterson, Aminu, Greg Monroe, Cole Adrich, Evan Turner...
Bullets -> Wizards
Pollinator
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#1408 » by Pollinator » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:24 am

pancakes3 wrote:I think trading into NEXT year's 1st round would be a better deal than trading into this year's. Next year's lottery is going to be stacked with a lot more talented prospects than this year's. John Wall, Willie Warren, Ed Davis, Patrick Patterson, Aminu, Greg Monroe, Cole Adrich, Evan Turner...

Yeah that's something that everyone can probably agree on... Makes you wonder what would have happened if Monroe, Davis, and Wall (or at least 2 of those 3) had stayed in the draft. How much better of a deal could we have made? Would we have kept the pick? Would Rubio maybe have dropped to us? Would we have wanted him anyway? :(

Man, for us Wizards fans, lady luck was a b*&^%h this year....
Ji
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#1409 » by Ji » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:26 am

I said earlier that I think we will trade the 32nd and a pick next year(1st) and try to get Blair
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1410 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:49 am

yungal07 wrote:What about Camby? I think he can also be had for cheap. Critt+James+ our 2nd rounder for Camby.

I'd definitely do that but I think the Clippers would rather have Nick Young than Critt+32 (which is fine with me). The question is how will we distribute minutes between Haywood and Camby? Remember, both are in contract years. And then what happens to McGee and Blatche?

I think we're better off going after the Kurt Thomases and Brian Skinners of the world - guys who can be had cheap and who won't mind not playing some nights.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,447

Post#1411 » by mhd » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:53 am

Honestly, Brian Skinner for the LLE makes a ton of sense.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#1412 » by miller31time » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:55 am

LyricalRico wrote:
yungal07 wrote:What about Camby? I think he can also be had for cheap. Critt+James+ our 2nd rounder for Camby.

I'd definitely do that but I think the Clippers would rather have Nick Young than Critt+32 (which is fine with me). The question is how will we distribute minutes between Haywood and Camby? Remember, both are in contract years. And then what happens to McGee and Blatche?

I think we're better off going after the Kurt Thomases and Brian Skinners of the world - guys who can be had cheap and who won't mind not playing some nights.

With Eric Gordon on-board, I'm not so sure they'd be more interested in Young. Not saying they'd have all that much interest in Critt, either....hmm...maybe we're just not good trading partners.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1413 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:59 am

mhd wrote:Honestly, Brian Skinner for the LLE makes a ton of sense.

He's actually under contract with the Clippers for next season (unless he opts out before July 1). He's an almost exact salary match for Critt and the Clippers could probably use a big backup PG to play with undersized scorers Gordon and Taylor. We make that trade, then deal DeBrick to Toronto for Kris Humphries and we've got our frontcourt depth back. Then we can use the #32 on the best player regardless of position.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1414 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:10 am

LyricalRico wrote:

You trade Jamison and Young for Richard Hamilton and Maxiel if you get Camby for the deal above.

Make your frontcourt Camby at PF and Haywood at C backed by Blatche and McGee plus Maxiel. McGee and Blatche get minutes when Camby's hurt and they're getting two mentors with him and Haywood. Camby is a great teammate, rebounder, and shotblocker who can definitely play PF. McGee or Blatche get that job when Camby's not resigned. Easy. Rip picks up the points from Antawn's departure and Camby makes the defense better alongside Haywood and the other bigs. Wizards get a big for very cheap and by moving Jamison they still play the young guys this sieason.

Starters: Arenas, Hamilton, Butler, Camby, Haywood
Bench: Foye, Miller, McGuire, Maxiel, Blatche, McGee

Lots of depth and injury-proof redundancy. Frontcour and backcourt balance. And DEFENSE where it matters.

That's a championship-contending team right there.
Bye bye Beal.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1415 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:17 am

^ Sorry, CCJ, but I can't see it. Camby was a dud at PF for the Clippers last year, which is why they then traded for Randolph. And Maxiell doesn't make your top 10 rotation but still makes $5M per year? I don't like that either.

If Camby is willing to play 18mpg behind Haywood, then fine. But other than that, I think creating a logjam by trading for him will cause more problems than it will solve.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1416 » by Ruzious » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:26 am

Ji wrote:I said earlier that I think we will trade the 32nd and a pick next year(1st) and try to get Blair

Can't trade next year's 1st - because of the rule against trading consecutive 1sts, but I'm with ya - there are ways to get into position to get Blair - and the medical and weight issues could have him falling.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#1417 » by Benjammin » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:34 am

Ruzious wrote:
Ji wrote:I said earlier that I think we will trade the 32nd and a pick next year(1st) and try to get Blair

Can't trade next year's 1st - because of the rule against trading consecutive 1sts, but I'm with ya - there are ways to get into position to get Blair - and the medical and weight issues could have him falling.

I think Blair would complement our front court guys really well if the Wizards could swing a deal to get a pick. That's why getting the 18th pick in the Miller/Foye deal would have been so nice. I don't they're thinking that way though. Nor do I think they'll spend a lot on frontcourt depth. Really the big widebody banger 4 (short of a real stud PF) is what they need to balance out their finesse bigs. The Wiz need to find the next Powe/Bass/Maxiell/Craig Smith/Milsapp/Landry type guy on the cheap. Or the other way to go is for the real veteran 4 with some range on his shot (Kurt Thomas type/McDyess/Joe Smith/Battie) but I doubt those guys come here for a reasonable price.
RealGM

Post#1418 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:38 am

LyricalRico wrote:^ Sorry, CCJ, but I can't see it. Camby was a dud at PF for the Clippers last year, which is why they then traded for Randolph. And Maxiell doesn't make your top 10 rotation but still makes $5M per year? I don't like that either.

If Camby is willing to play 18mpg behind Haywood, then fine. But other than that, I think creating a logjam by trading for him will cause more problems than it will solve.

The Clippers were 7.7 points per 100 possessions better when Camby played, LR. Their effective FG allowed was much better with Camby on the floor and their defensive rebounding was TREMENDOUSLY BETTER with Camby on the court.

http://www.82games.com/0809/08LAC16.HTM

Code: Select all

On Court / Off Court stats
Many stats are shown on a 'per 48 minute' basis
Stat ON Court OFF Court Net
Minutes 1924  2050  48%
Offense: Pts per 100 Poss. 102.4 103.2 -0.8
Defense: Pts per 100 Poss. 108.6 117.1 -8.5
Net Points per 100 Possessions -6.2 -13.9 +7.7
Points Scored 3764 4035 -271
Points Allowed 3969 4549 -580
Net Points -205 -514 +309
Effective FG% 47.5% 48.7% -1.1%
Effective FG% Allowed 49.1% 53.2% -4.1%
Assisted Field Goals 57% 59% -2%
Assisted FG% Allowed 61% 59% +2%
Own Shots Blocked 6% 5% +1%
Shots Blocked 8% 5% +3%
Rebounding
Offensive Rebounding 27.3% 27.3% +0.0%
Defensive Rebounding 70.9% 66.9% +4.0%
Total Rebounding 49.1% 47.1% +2.0%
Stats
Free Throws Made 17  15  +2
Free Throws Attempted 23  21  +2
Free Throws Made by Opp. 18  18  +0
Free Throws Attempted by Opp. 23  25  +2
Turnovers, on Offense 14  14  +0
Turnovers, on Defense 13  13  +0
Net Turnovers -1  -1  +0
Fouls Committed 18  20  +2
Fouls, Drawn 19  19  +0
Net Fouls 1  -1  -2

Lyrical, Camby still had the best defensive rebounding percentage and also best total rebounding percentage in the entire NBA. His block percentage was the best of his career. Camby's year was on par or better than all his others. Camby''s PER was 18.7.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... yma01.html

LR, I love the defensive win shares Camby generates and my theory is Haywood is the better offensive and defensive player. Combine them and you've get elite defense and rebounding and shotblocking.

I believe Brendan scores way better than ever with this lineup, too.

Other notes: EG drafted Camby and as a rookie Marcus played strong in the Finals. This deal clears Jamison's contract in one season and losing Camby wouldn't be like losing Amare. Might get Camby back for vey cheap if all goes well and end up re-singnin Brendan, Foye, AND Mike Miller.
Bye bye Beal.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1419 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:46 am

^ Yes, the Clippers were better when Camby played...center. The point I'm making is that dumping Jamison for Camby is a huge downgrade when you're talking about Camby as a full-time PF. That's the problem I have with your scenario.
RealGM

Post#1420 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:55 am

LyricalRico wrote:^ Yes, the Clippers were better when Camby played...center. The point I'm making is that dumping Jamison for Camby is a huge downgrade when you're talking about Camby as a full-time PF. That's the problem I have with your scenario.

(EDITED TO ADD: You have a point, but I'd trust Blatche or McGee at PF if Camby were relegated to C only. I know Camby's a wretched scorer and not a true PF but I'd rather have his defense at PF than Jamison's offense.)

Adding Hamillton and Maxiel add offense. I didn't say trade Jamison for Camby. I said if you get Camby for scraps, add Hamilton.

I think more rebounds, better defense, better balance between frontcourt and backcourt all on balance make the team way better.

You also get Jamison's contracts off the books this season and have added two guys with championship finals experience. To me, the whole scenario's a no-brainer win for the Wizards.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards