ImageImageImageImageImage

Antawn Jamison's Role Next Year

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

DC_Ballin
Sophomore
And1: 0

Antawn Jamison's Role Next Year 

Post#1 » by DC_Ballin » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:04 pm

I wrote an article about possibly moving Jamison to the bench as the sixth man, especially if we are blessed with the opportunity to draft Blake Griffin. Please tell me what you think, because this schmuck who knows nothing but claims he knows everything because he has league pass left a comment on my article saying that Jamison is not a bad defender and that Caron Butler is one of the best defenders at the small forward position in the NBA.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1650 ... ext-season

5-1 on game threads
20MexicanosIn1Van
Veteran
And1: 318

Re: Antawn Jamison's Role Next Year 

Post#2 » by 20MexicanosIn1Van » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:13 pm

Assuming we get Blake, I think that's the general consensus on this board and the obvious best line up to have. That's a deep bench, a good all-around starting five; and with a good coach who will indeed make the obviously right choices/rotations (unlike Eddie Jordan), we should be very good next year.

The more interesting thing is what to do if we don't get Blake.
BanndNDC
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by BanndNDC » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:29 pm

Jamison wasnt bad this year but he was only average (and that was with a ton of effort). Normally he has been extremely poor. Butler was a below average defender this year (who wasnt giving that much effort) but is normally a slightly above average defender who appears better then he is because he's good at getting steals (although how much that was scheme inflated is unknown.

I dont think AJ will be 6th man next year if we get Griffin. Although it would be ideal in the long run, t's just not feasible to do that to the one guy who gave maximum effort all year and has been playing some of the best ball of his career. I would guess that Griffin becomes the 6th man but that the best lineup shifts Butler and Jamison down a slot (i think that's a lot more likely then AJ as 6th man). the problem there is that Butler is too slow and doesnt have good enough handles to play the 2 full time and AJ is too slow to play the 3. However, if Gilbert becomes more of a 1 (like he says) and Griffin is at the 4 then the combination of Griffin and Haywood inside might be enough to negate the speed problem at the 2 and 3 and the ballhandling problem at the 2 with Butler.
Until Grunfeld goes there is no rebuild.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#4 » by nate33 » Fri May 1, 2009 12:45 am

BanndNDC wrote:I dont think AJ will be 6th man next year if we get Griffin. Although it would be ideal in the long run, t's just not feasible to do that to the one guy who gave maximum effort all year and has been playing some of the best ball of his career. I would guess that Griffin becomes the 6th man but that the best lineup shifts Butler and Jamison down a slot (i think that's a lot more likely then AJ as 6th man). the problem there is that Butler is too slow and doesnt have good enough handles to play the 2 full time and AJ is too slow to play the 3. However, if Gilbert becomes more of a 1 (like he says) and Griffin is at the 4 then the combination of Griffin and Haywood inside might be enough to negate the speed problem at the 2 and 3 and the ballhandling problem at the 2 with Butler.

What he said.

Griffin will come off the bench and bump Jamison to SF. There are 96 minutes to share at the two forward spots and Butler can play about 8 minutes a game at SG. That 36 minutes a piece for Jamison and Butler, and 32 minutes for Griffin. It won't be too much of a problem except maybe during crunch time when all 3 guys want to be on the floor.

If Griffin proves to be a beast from the get go, then Jamison will have to accept a demotion to 6th man. I don't think it'll be that much of a problem as long as Griffin is clearly the best option at PF.
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst

Post#5 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Fri May 1, 2009 12:48 am

Jamison and Griffin would kill each other in practice trying to prove the other doesn't deserve to start. Maybe Jamison will learn to play defense that way.
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#6 » by DaRealHibachi » Fri May 1, 2009 1:43 am

ZonkertheBrainless wrote:Jamison and Griffin would kill each other in practice trying to prove the other doesn't deserve to start. Maybe Jamison will learn to play defense that way.

Win-win situation... Both could do better on the defensive end...
:beer: Magnumt
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,392

Post#7 » by Jimmy Recard » Fri May 1, 2009 3:24 am

I'd love to see Antawn come off the bench backing up Griffin oreven Blatche. Imagine him and Nick tearing up other second units in the league.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#8 » by MJG » Fri May 1, 2009 3:38 am

I don't see much change for Jamison next year. Maybe a smidge fewer minutes per game, but that's about it.

The only way I picture him coming off the bench is if we get Griffin and he's an all-star from day one. Anything less than that, and Flip won't bench him, nor will Jamison accept being benched. And even if that were the case, my guess is we'd try a big Arenas-Caron-Jamison-Griffin-Haywood lineup before going the bench route.
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#9 » by FreeBalling » Fri May 1, 2009 8:35 pm

Jamison off the bench, I dont see it. 22 ponints a game 9 boards and 38 Dbl/Dbl games (9th in the NBA.)

Who would fill his shoes? That's a lot of production to miss every night.

Asking your captin to come off the bench seems a little odd to me.
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#10 » by nate33 » Fri May 1, 2009 8:55 pm

FreeBalling wrote:Jamison off the bench, I dont see it. 22 ponints a game 9 boards and 38 Dbl/Dbl games (9th in the NBA.)

Who would fill his shoes?

Blake Griffin
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#11 » by Dat2U » Fri May 1, 2009 8:58 pm

Jamison's ideal role next year? Starting at PF for a team other than the Wizards.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#12 » by nate33 » Fri May 1, 2009 9:17 pm

Dat2U wrote:Jamison's ideal role next year? Starting at PF for a team other than the Wizards.

What we really need to do is draft Griffin and then trade Jamison for Rudy Fernandez, Steve Blake and Travis Outlaw. Cut Blake and Outlaw (non-guaranteed contracts) and we'd have the following lineup:

PG Arenas/James
SG Rudy/Young
SF Butler/DMac
PF Griffin/Songaila
C Haywood/Blatche
Extra depth: Crittenton, Stevenson, McGee, Pecherov, Etan

And we're below the luxtax!

If we follow up by trading Crittenton, Pecherov and James for Hinrich, we'd be legit championship contenders once Griffin and McGee have had a year or two of seasoning. Our lineup in 2010:

PG Arenas/Hinrich/2010 pick
SG Rudy/Hinrich/Young
SF Butler/DMac
PF Griffin/Songaila/Blatche
C Haywood/McGee/Blatche
:nod:
FreeBalling
Starter

Post#13 » by FreeBalling » Fri May 1, 2009 10:15 pm

nate33 wrote:
FreeBalling wrote:Jamison off the bench, I dont see it. 22 ponints a game 9 boards and 38 Dbl/Dbl games (9th in the NBA.)

Who would fill his shoes?

Blake Griffin

Care to bet on it, Nate33 if we get Blake. Something simple. Like a bottle of Scotch 18 years.

Not in his 1st year.

(Edit: But I hope your correct.)
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten

FreeBalling
Starter

Post#14 » by FreeBalling » Sat May 2, 2009 12:51 am

This could be yours Nate33 or a pair of Wizards tickets.

I'll even bet you if Blake goes to another team.

*** If your under 21 the bet is only for tickets.

FINAL UPDATE
You Are Not Forgotten

dnk
Sophomore

Post#15 » by dnk » Sat May 2, 2009 1:32 am

nate33 wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Jamison's ideal role next year? Starting at PF for a team other than the Wizards.

What we really need to do is draft Griffin and then trade Jamison for Rudy Fernandez, Steve Blake and Travis Outlaw. Cut Blake and Outlaw (non-guaranteed contracts) and we'd have the following lineup:

PG Arenas/James
SG Rudy/Young
SF Butler/DMac
PF Griffin/Songaila
C Haywood/Blatche
Extra depth: Crittenton, Stevenson, McGee, Pecherov, Etan

And we're below the luxtax!

If we follow up by trading Crittenton, Pecherov and James for Hinrich, we'd be legit championship contenders once Griffin and McGee have had a year or two of seasoning. Our lineup in 2010:

PG Arenas/Hinrich/2010 pick
SG Rudy/Hinrich/Young
SF Butler/DMac
PF Griffin/Songaila/Blatche
C Haywood/McGee/Blatche
:nod:

God, that line up is so awesome. That is a championship team. But I don't know if either the Blazers or Bulls make those trades. Especially the Blazers (why do they make that trade?).
dnk
Sophomore

Post#16 » by dnk » Sat May 2, 2009 1:32 am

Jamison would still play a fair amount. Look at Ginobili.
FreeBalling
Starter

Post#17 » by FreeBalling » Sat May 2, 2009 2:39 am

You guys that think that Griffin (R) can replace Mr, AJ are high in his 1st year or even his 2nd year are foolish.

[size=200]
Dream on, I posted AJ stats. Take the bet. I'll take two years, pay the 1st, I'll pay the 2nd.
FINAL UPDATE
You Are Not Forgotten

FreeBalling
Starter

Post#18 » by FreeBalling » Sat May 2, 2009 2:43 am

Miller will you take my bet the 1st year? How about the 2nd year?

Better than AJ this year?

A fool takes this bet.
FINAL UPDATE
You Are Not Forgotten

Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#19 » by Dat2U » Sat May 2, 2009 3:25 am

Could Griffin match Jamison's production of 22 & 9 every night? No, I'm sure he won't. But can have a bigger impact? I think he can and will. "Captain Antawn" is the master of getting his numbers while his team loses. I suspect that Griffin could potentially be a better rebounder off the bat and may actually not be a total sieve on the defensive end of the court.

I would love to see Griffin & Jamison matched up in practice. The way Antawn plays defense Griffin would absolutely destroy him. I don't see Jamison matching up very well against Griffin athletically or physically. It would be a total mismatch.
FreeBalling
Starter

Post#20 » by FreeBalling » Sat May 2, 2009 3:41 am

Dat2U wrote:

Could Griffin match Jamison's production of 22 & 9 every night? No, I'm sure he won't. But can have a bigger impact? I think he can and will. "Captain Antawn" is the master of getting his numbers while his team loses. I suspect that Griffin could potentially be a better rebounder off the bat and may actually not be a total sieve on the defensive end of the court.

I would love to see Griffin & Jamison matched up in practice. The way Antawn plays defense Griffin would absolutely destroy him. I don't see Jamison matching up very well against Griffin athletically or physically. It would be a total mismatch.

Yes or no, dont puss out dat33.
FINAL UPDATE
You Are Not Forgotten

Return to Washington Wizards