ImageImageImageImageImage

Book Thread. I have nothing good to read.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Book Thread. I have nothing good to read. 

Post#301 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:28 pm

I love Joe Hill's disturbing book of short stories - "Full Throttle" - which also has good stories of growing up as Stephen King's son.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#302 » by gambitx777 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:30 pm

If any one likes comics my god king in black is so I believably good right now.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,876

Post#303 » by payitforward » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:53 am

I just read Proust. Took a long time! :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Vladimir777
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,121

Post#304 » by Vladimir777 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:13 am

payitforward wrote:I just read Proust. Took a long time! :)

How was it? I would love to read it. I known Penguin is doing a new translation, but I don't think they've finished it yet? I find it strange that each book has a different translator from my memory in the new version.

After I pass my NCLEX, I'm starting Don Quixote next. It's not Proust, but not short either!
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#305 » by bsilver » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:45 pm

Recently read The Queen’s Gambit by Walter Tevis, since it came up on Hoopla, and is getting so much hype on Netflix. Thoroughly enjoyed it but would hesitate to recommend. I was a tournament chess player more than forty years ago, so know the jargon. So, if you don’t know anything about the Sicilian Defense, probably should stay away because you’ll find out the heroine is not only playing the Sicilian Defense, but it’s the Alekhine Variation.

BTW Hoopla is great. My library has limited ebooks, but has access to Hoopla ebooks which greatly increases the selection.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#306 » by bsilver » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:58 pm

For those that like noir genre mysteries I would recommend Adrian Mckinty, a writer from Northern Ireland. I’m currently reading his series about a police detective in NI during the “troubles”. It’s amazing how bad the situation was there not long ago. Pretty good there now. Fortunately, brexit didn’t screw it up.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#307 » by Ruzious » Wed May 26, 2021 3:06 pm

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#308 » by dobrojim » Wed May 26, 2021 6:24 pm

Anybody local want a copy of Eddie Glaude’s book on James Baldwin, Begin Again? Someone gave me a copy and just wants it to circulate.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
payitforward
RealGM

Post#309 » by payitforward » Wed May 26, 2021 7:22 pm

Vladimir777 wrote:

How was it? I would love to read it. I known Penguin is doing a new translation, but I don't think they've finished it yet? I find it strange that each book has a different translator from my memory in the new version.

After I pass my NCLEX, I'm starting Don Quixote next. It's not Proust, but not short either!

Don Quixote is a great book.

Crap -- sorry to be so long getting back into this thread.

Re: Proust -- I read Lydia Davis' translation of the first volume, Swann's Way. Then I did a little comparing of Volume 2 in the Penguin translation vs. the classic H. Scott Moncrieff version. I didn't like one much less or more than the other, so I finished the whole thing on my Kindle -- where the old translations are essentially free.

The deal with Proust is either you are on board with his way of looking at things, in which case the books are wonderful, or you find it hard to make that leap, in which case you get bored. Obviously, I was able to jump on his bus -- though there were times when I was tempted to pull the cord & jump off at the next stop. Overall, I enjoyed it tremendously.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#310 » by payitforward » Wed May 26, 2021 7:25 pm

bsilver wrote:Recently read The Queen’s Gambit by Walter Tevis, since it came up on Hoopla, and is getting so much hype on Netflix. Thoroughly enjoyed it but would hesitate to recommend. I was a tournament chess player more than forty years ago, so know the jargon. So, if you don’t know anything about the Sicilian Defense, probably should stay away because you’ll find out the heroine is not only playing the Sicilian Defense, but it’s the Alekhine Variation.

BTW Hoopla is great. My library has limited ebooks, but has access to Hoopla ebooks which greatly increases the selection.

Haven't read the book but definitely loved the adaptation as a series on I think Netflix.

I remember studying the Sicilian Defense as a teenager. But, I was a terrible chess player! Really awful. Yet... I loved the game!
payitforward
RealGM

Post#311 » by payitforward » Wed May 26, 2021 7:29 pm

I'm reading an absolutely great multi-volume work by the Chinese sci-fi writer Cichin Liu -- the series is called "The Three Body Problem," & that's the title of Volume 1 as well. Cannot recommend it highly enough.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#312 » by Ruzious » Wed May 26, 2021 10:28 pm

payitforward wrote:I'm reading an absolutely great multi-volume work by the Chinese sci-fi writer Cichin Liu -- the series is called "The Three Body Problem," & that's the title of Volume 1 as well. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

I've also heard it's terrific, and Netflix is working on a series based on it. I'm looking forward to reading it - it's always more enjoyable to read a book/trilogy first before watching the series or movie based on it, imo. I think it's also sometimes called Remembrance of Earth's Past.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#313 » by dobrojim » Wed May 26, 2021 10:40 pm

I also recently read Hiaasen’s latest novel Squeeze which was an
extremely thinly veiled rank on tRump and tRumpism. Pretty funny.

Vladimir777
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,121

Post#314 » by Vladimir777 » Thu May 27, 2021 4:01 am

payitforward wrote:
Vladimir777 wrote:

Don Quixote is a great book.

Crap -- sorry to be so long getting back into this thread.

Re: Proust -- I read Lydia Davis' translation of the first volume, Swann's Way. Then I did a little comparing of Volume 2 in the Penguin translation vs. the classic H. Scott Moncrieff version. I didn't like one much less or more than the other, so I finished the whole thing on my Kindle -- where the old translations are essentially free.

The deal with Proust is either you are on board with his way of looking at things, in which case the books are wonderful, or you find it hard to make that leap, in which case you get bored. Obviously, I was able to jump on his bus -- though there were times when I was tempted to pull the cord & jump off at the next stop. Overall, I enjoyed it tremendously.

No worries about the late reply. I don't make it on here a lot of the time. I'm about 150 pages into DQ, so I have a ways to go. In Search of Lost Time is definitely one of the few longer novels than DQ! Glad you enjoyed it.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#315 » by payitforward » Fri May 28, 2021 10:41 pm

Well, there are a lot of loooong Russian novels!

Speaking of long.... Roberto Bolano's 2666 is absolutely tremendous as is his The Savage Detectives.

Also George Perec's Life A User's Manual.

Pretty much anything by Haruki Murakami is fantastic; The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is one of a kind.

David Mitchell's The Bone Clocks is a wonderful novel as well. Anything by him, really....
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#316 » by dobrojim » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:34 pm

Just finished reading Brene Brown's Atlas of the Heart. Great book.

badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 884

Post#317 » by badinage » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:12 pm

I’m currently reading two:

Family Lexicon. Natalia Ginzburg. It’s not a guy’s book (but then, I don’t like most guy books, unless that guy is P. Roth). So, no action, or not much action; no cheap, obvious drama. Nor is it one of those programmatic and drearily concepty Gladwell projects where we learn how (in ways subtle and not-so) to crush another man like a bug. Ginzburg is terrific. Brilliant, even, at times. The world she writes about is Italy in the mid-20th c. Keen insights into family and people and language. I love how non- it is: non-linear, non-commercial, non-contemporary.

The other is The Books of Jacob. Olga Tokarczuk. She won the Nobel a few yrs ago. Nominally about a false messiah among the Jews of Poland who converts to Islam and then converts thousands of Jews to Catholicism, it’s really about the world he’s at the center of — a world of liars, schemers, frauds; of fake news; of the worst, who are full of passionate intensity; of strivers and climbers; of things coming undone. A world very much like ours. It’s a daunting read, clocking in at almost a thousand pages. But she’s so sprightly and fun, and there’s fascination so far on every page.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#318 » by penbeast0 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:31 pm

Reread Thinking: Fast and Slow, by Daniel Kahneman recently. Still throwing curves I have to think about even in second reading.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,163

Post#319 » by AFM » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:20 am

Finishing up Five Decembers right now. Probably the book of the year for me.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#320 » by payitforward » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:11 am

badinage wrote:I’m currently reading two:

Family Lexicon. Natalia Ginzburg. It’s not a guy’s book (but then, I don’t like most guy books, unless that guy is P. Roth). So, no action, or not much action; no cheap, obvious drama. Nor is it one of those programmatic and drearily concepty Gladwell projects where we learn how (in ways subtle and not-so) to crush another man like a bug. Ginzburg is terrific. Brilliant, even, at times. The world she writes about is Italy in the mid-20th c. Keen insights into family and people and language. I love how non- it is: non-linear, non-commercial, non-contemporary.

The other is The Books of Jacob. Olga Tokarczuk. She won the Nobel a few yrs ago. Nominally about a false messiah among the Jews of Poland who converts to Islam and then converts thousands of Jews to Catholicism, it’s really about the world he’s at the center of — a world of liars, schemers, frauds; of fake news; of the worst, who are full of passionate intensity; of strivers and climbers; of things coming undone. A world very much like ours. It’s a daunting read, clocking in at almost a thousand pages. But she’s so sprightly and fun, and there’s fascination so far on every page.

Tokarczuk is great -- I loved & highly recommend Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead. Can't wait to read The Books of Jacob.

Badinage -- do you know who Sabbatai Sevi was? A 17th century false messiah from Smyrna. His influence was enormous at the time, & he had a profound effect on European history. Don't have time to get into it now, but some day I'll write it up here. If you're interested enough to read a loooong book, Gershom Scholem wrote one about him.

Light reading: Martin Walker series about "Bruno, Chief of Police." Mysteries set in the Perigord (in France). Highly recommended.

Return to Washington Wizards