Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: The What Should We Do With the 5th Pick II: IBJ Edition 

Post#541 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:17 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
DCZards wrote:Rubio is too much of an unknown for me. There's a lot of hype surrounding him but all I've seen are highlights. And, if he slips to 5, that would mean that at least three other GMs have their doubts about a guy that a few weeks ago was the consensus #2 pick.

+1

If La Bomba won MVP in the same league as Rubio, I'm not buying the hype.

What he seems to me to be is a prima donna, a showman who makes flashy passes, and a guy who does play passing lanes hard in going for steals.

I only want Rubio for trade purposes. Otherwise, Harden and Evans both make more sense to me.

If La Bomba played in the NCAA's before going pro and put up those type of numbers in his MVP season, guess what? You'd be touting him as a stud. Navarro had a dissapointing run in America b/c he played for a horrible Memphis franchise. He actually had some decent moments here and showed he was an NBA caliber player, albeit one without a real position. On a legit playoff team he probably would have been looked at in a much different light.

Same with Rubio's numbers, imagine if Rubio played against NCAA competition and dominated. I wonder would you feel the same about him as you do now?

I'm obviously biased toward NCAA ball and undersized PFs, Dat. :)
Bye bye Beal.
wizards-fan
Junior
And1: 0

Post#542 » by wizards-fan » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:27 pm

Rubio at 5 would be worth the gamble IMO. Not having any glaring needs, the Wizards are in a position to gamble on a boom-or-bust player. Rubio was the consensus #2 guy all along, and when a guy like that drops just before the draft I think they tend to turn out okay in the end. I always think of Amare Stoudemire (#9, 2002) as being an example of that.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#543 » by Wizards2Lottery » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:46 pm

We will end up with Rubio no doubt about it now. Unless a team blows us away with a great trade package, i think Rubio will be suiting up for us in the future.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#544 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:52 pm

I know the below quote has been posted a few times, but this really stands out
I reported today that at least half of the league has contacted the Wizards about making a deal in the past few weeks, but Chad Ford dropped this doozy this afternoon over at ESPN.com: The Wizards have gotten at least 10 offers for the pick, but every team I spoke with still was in the dark about where it stood. The Knicks have offered Larry Hughes for Thomas and James. The Wolves reportedly have offered Mike Miller. The Celtics would give them Ray Allen. The Rockets would give them Tracy McGrady and Carl Landry. The Bucks would send them Richard Jefferson. The Nets would entertain unloading Vince Carter. The Suns could do something with Shaquille O'Neal. The Blazers could part ways with Steve Blake, Jerryd Bayless or Travis Outlaw. Washington Post

So, we havent said no....keep the deals coming!
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#545 » by pancakes3 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:01 pm

i doubt that we're fielding offers that include RJ, VC, Shaq, TMac, etc. and the best that Portland can string together is Blake/Bayless/Outlaw.
Bullets -> Wizards
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,447

Post#546 » by mhd » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:01 pm

Following Ric Bucher's Twitter is fun and full of tidbits. Bucher used to be the beat writer for the Wizards at the Post.

http://m.twitter.com/RicBucher

Mentions that Minny and NYN are trying to get #5. Also a scenerio where we trade up the 3 for Rubio in exchange for Harden (at 5) and something else.
Ji
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#547 » by Ji » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:38 pm

we can close this thread...no Blair..no Curry...did we get one of Minnesota's 1st rounders???
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#548 » by Wizardspride » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:56 am

Ji wrote:did we get one of Minnesota's 1st rounders???

Nope.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#549 » by Wizards2Lottery » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:05 am

I wish Ernie made this deal on draft night. Now there is nothing to look forward to...
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#550 » by Rafael122 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:26 am

Well...I for one am looking to see where Rubio goes. He's not a lock for the top 4.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Ji
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#551 » by Ji » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:35 am

I think Ernie could of waited till draft night...I really hope Rubio goes before #5
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#552 » by miller31time » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:36 am

Not locking this since there is still some discussion to be had, but I'm un-stickying it.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#553 » by verbal8 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:41 pm

Ji wrote:I think Ernie could of waited till draft night...I really hope Rubio goes before #5

I think Minnesota must be trying to use both picks to move up to the 2 spot. Otherwise there would not have urgency to make the deal before draft night.

Return to Washington Wizards