ImageImageImageImageImage

Insight on Miller and Foye from a Wolves fan

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

dr03
Ballboy
And1: 0

Insight on Miller and Foye from a Wolves fan 

Post#1 » by dr03 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:00 am

I still regret the day we traded Brandon Roy for Foye, and I'm glad that is out of our system finally with Kahn GMing the team and Foye in a different place. I thought Foye was decent, had a good outside shot, could do some slashing and has ability to get to the hole. He is very injury prone, he is too small, and doesn't do much on the defensive end. He's a hybrid guard, mix of a point and shoot, but isn't good enough to start in either position. He is a 20 minute a night 10-13 pt kind of guy on a winning team. He is not starter capable on a winning team.

Miller. Miller fell apart this year and was horrid. He lost his 3 point shot, lack explosivenessand is a poor defender. What I like about him is his size, and his shot, which was missing last year and who knows if it ever comes back. I believe he will be a decent player for you and could be a starter. I see him as a 4th option on a winning team.

I can see where you guys are going with this deal, picking up 2 guys who have been around awhile, not thinking you need to rebuild, are already there, etc. You get basically 2 average guys, 2 underachievers imo. Foye has more potential but his size is going ot kill him I think. Miller, if he gets his shot going, which is a big if, I think can help you guys as well. I like the deal more from the Wolves angle because the contracts we get while bad, are all expiring after this year besides Songalia, who basically has an extra year a 4 mill.

I can see how the trade works from both angles, but I think you could've gotten better players from your angle.
Soup's Uncle
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Re: Insight on Miller and Foye from a Wolves fan 

Post#2 » by Soup's Uncle » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:04 am

Man, we got a positive guy here.
F Street = Wall Street
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#3 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:19 am

only 1 side of the story, Foye was also our go to 4th quarter player in his rookie year with KG on the team and he came through time and time again. We called him Fourth Quarter Foye FFS, he earned that nickname too. Then he ran into a couple of injuries that derailed him. Nothing serious, but stuff that took him out of his natural development. His midrange game is weak, but he's a cold blooded 3 point shooter and he's decent around the basket and relatively strong. He'll definitely hit many clutch shots for you and has erased deficits several times. The kind of player that you're team is down 8 w/ 50 seconds to go and you turn off the TV in disgust, then pick up the paper the next morning and read wtf about how Foye hit 2 threes and an And 1 layup and your team somehow won the game. Thats no joke, he has some stuff like that on his resume. As a #1 option he'll piss you off because his game isn't diverse enough for that, but on this team he's gonna be pretty sick, I can guarantee that one.
P'Oed
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#4 » by P'Oed » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:21 am

I think I'll go ahead and trust the guy with 13,000 posts. Thanks.
dr03
Ballboy

Post#5 » by dr03 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:32 am

POed, me and Devil Sidewalk agree on the majority of things.

We both said he's essentially a solid backup.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#6 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:35 am

dr03 wrote:POed, me and Devil Sidewalk agree on the majority of things.

for the Wolves he probably is, but remember that Foye has looked his best in college with Jay Wright's 3 and 4 guard lineups with guys like Kyle Lowry and Allen Ray and in his rookie year of the NBA with KG, Eddie Griffin, and Mark Blount, all jump shooting big men. He's been at his best with teams like this one, free flowing teams that can attack and kick out. The Wolves of the last 2 years he was just a spot up player for Al Jefferson (who isn't a good passer either) and that's the first time he'd been on a team like that and he looked out of place and underutilized. They're going to see a different Randy Foye this season.
B Calrissian
Head Coach
And1: 17

Post#7 » by B Calrissian » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:38 am

P'Oed wrote:I think I'll go ahead and trust the guy with 13,000 posts. Thanks.

Normally it wouldn't be a good idea to trust the devil. In this case he is right.
P'Oed
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#8 » by P'Oed » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:40 am

B Calrissian wrote:

Normally it wouldn't be a good idea to trust the devil. In this case he is right.

I trusted the sidewalk not the Devil.

HIYOOOOOOO (R.I.P. Ed McMahon)
B Calrissian
Head Coach
And1: 17

Post#9 » by B Calrissian » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:44 am

P'Oed wrote:
B Calrissian wrote:

I trusted the sidewalk not the Devil.

HIYOOOOOOO (R.I.P. Ed McMahon)

Good call. The sidewalk is usually a safe bet.
dr03
Ballboy

Post#10 » by dr03 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:50 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:

for the Wolves he probably is, but remember that Foye has looked his best in college with Jay Wright's 3 and 4 guard lineups with guys like Kyle Lowry and Allen Ray and in his rookie year of the NBA with KG, Eddie Griffin, and Mark Blount, all jump shooting big men. He's been at his best with teams like this one, free flowing teams that can attack and kick out. The Wolves of the last 2 years he was just a spot up player for Al Jefferson (who isn't a good passer either) and that's the first time he'd been on a team like that and he looked out of place and underutilized. They're going to see a different Randy Foye this season.

i'll believe it when I see it.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#11 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:57 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:

That's an interesting point. I remember thinking that Foye had a decent rookie year and was poised to take the next step but then dropped off. I didn't consider that the new dynamic with Jefferson could have had an effect. As a 4th or 5th option guy in our offense I think he'll do just fine as a backup PG, considering that much of his time on the court would be with guys who can facilitate (Arenas, Miller, Stevenson).
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#12 » by the_bruce » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:15 am

Devilz is correct. Foye will be fantastic I really like the kid. If he adds a midrange game and works on the pnr he will have a complete offensive game.
MF23
Veteran

Post#13 » by MF23 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:22 am

dr03 I have to disagree with you on Foye's ability to start on a contending Wizards team. He's 6'4 in the east coast and he doesn't need to dominate the ball in order to be effective. He's also clutch and with his ability to hit the spot up jumper it's going to make the Wizards very tough to stop in the 4th qtr. I don't ever remember Foye being anything but a tough defender who gives the type of effort title contending teams ask from their players. I doubt that effort has changed. I'd like to see a little improvement on his TO and FG%. Some of you guys are really undervaluing Foye. He's played well for the T'Wolves and I think he'll improve surrounded by better players. Ernie knows Foye wants a contract and he'll use that to push Foye. This is a real good trade.

Honestly, I think the Wizards are really close to contending now but their not there yet.

Now, with Miller and James the Wizards have huge value with those contracts. Those 2 could be a major part of what puts the Wizards over the top.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#14 » by fishercob » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:40 am

Foye apparantly has a disease/disorder/abnormality in which his organs are all on the opposite side. Kewl!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6bWAp_R ... re=related
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#15 » by fishercob » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:43 am

MF23 wrote:dr03 I have to disagree with you on Foye's ability to start on a contending Wizards team. He's 6'4 in the east coast and he doesn't need to dominate the ball in order to be effective. He's also clutch and with his ability to hit the spot up jumper it's going to make the Wizards very tough to stop in the 4th qtr. I don't ever remember Foye being anything but a tough defender who gives the type of effort title contending teams ask from their players. I doubt that effort has changed. I'd like to see a little improvement on his TO and FG%. Some of you guys are really undervaluing Foye. He's played well for the T'Wolves and I think he'll improve surrounded by better players. Ernie knows Foye wants a contract and he'll use that to push Foye. This is a real good trade.

Honestly, I think the Wizards are really close to contending now but their not there yet.

Now, with Miller and James the Wizards have huge value with those contracts. Those 2 could be a major part of what puts the Wizards over the top.

You sorta just described Mo Williams. If that's Foye in a couple years, that's a nice pickup.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#16 » by miller31time » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:44 am

I see the OP talked a bit about Foye's defense or lack thereof.

Can the other Minnesota fans chime in on that subject (Foye's defense)?

From what I know of the kid, he isn't a detriment but obviously is nothing to rave about. Is that about right? What does he do right on defense? What does he do wrong? Tendencies?
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#17 » by pancakes3 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:56 am

i have 2 big questions that maybe you t-wolves fans can address:

1 - can Foye play point in any capacity?
2 - can miller play 35mpg at shooting guard?

from what little i know, the answer is no for both counts. foye has too much of a scorer's mentality and too little ball handling skills, and miller is too slow to effectively play 2-guard. no? i hope i'm wrong.
Bullets -> Wizards
jade_hippo
Starter
And1: 135

Post#18 » by jade_hippo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:20 am

Foye is not a lockdown defender, and Miller at SG, the only thing i can promise you is he will get burned by faster guys time, and time, and time and time, after time, but he will be the best rebounding guard in the league not named James or Kidd.

Both should shoot much better on this team than they did for the wolves unless Foye goes down with an injury again and Miller really has lost that "eye of the tiger" and will crap out and shoot two attempts a game only to go with 6 rebounds and 6 assists.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#19 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:14 am

dr03 wrote:I still regret the day we traded Brandon Roy for Foye, and I'm glad that is out of our system finally with Kahn GMing the team and Foye in a different place. I thought Foye was decent, had a good outside shot, could do some slashing and has ability to get to the hole. He is very injury prone, he is too small, and doesn't do much on the defensive end. He's a hybrid guard, mix of a point and shoot, but isn't good enough to start in either position. He is a 20 minute a night 10-13 pt kind of guy on a winning team. He is not starter capable on a winning team.

Miller. Miller fell apart this year and was horrid. He lost his 3 point shot, lack explosivenessand is a poor defender. What I like about him is his size, and his shot, which was missing last year and who knows if it ever comes back. I believe he will be a decent player for you and could be a starter. I see him as a 4th option on a winning team.

I can see where you guys are going with this deal, picking up 2 guys who have been around awhile, not thinking you need to rebuild, are already there, etc. You get basically 2 average guys, 2 underachievers imo. Foye has more potential but his size is going ot kill him I think. Miller, if he gets his shot going, which is a big if, I think can help you guys as well. I like the deal more from the Wolves angle because the contracts we get while bad, are all expiring after this year besides Songalia, who basically has an extra year a 4 mill.

I can see how the trade works from both angles, but I think you could've gotten better players from your angle.

Thanks for the insights on Foye and Miller.

I agree with your assessment of the trade 100%, dr03. Minnesota got the better of the deal.

Wizards could have done better.
Bye bye Beal.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#20 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:19 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:

This is encouraging.

Ironically, Eddie Jordan is no longer the coach. He would absolutely LOVE the idea of 3 and 4 guard lineups and would definitely maximize Foye's potential like he did Hughes' a few seasons back.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards