ImageImageImageImageImage

Washington Wizards Salary Cap

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Washington Wizards Salary Cap 

Post#1 » by mohammed10 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:56 am

For all of us arm-chair GMs, I thought it would be a good idea to post an up-to-date link to our current cap situation...

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9153

OK, let the 'trades' commence
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
mohammed10
Assistant Coach

Re: Washington Wizards Salary Cap 

Post#2 » by mohammed10 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:35 am

...and here's the link to the pending FA crop:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/stor ... ents-09-10

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,353

Post#3 » by nate33 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:09 pm

mohammed10 wrote:For all of us arm-chair GMs, I thought it would be a good idea to post an up-to-date link to our current cap situation...

The 2010 luxtax threshold will probably be around $68M, maybe a bit lower. It is doubtful that we will retain all 3 of Haywood, Miller and Foye unless other cap-cutting measures are taken.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#4 » by LyricalRico » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:22 pm

^ Which is why I think they're going to use Nick Young to unload DeBrick's contract, which I'm totally in favor of.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#5 » by Benjammin » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:38 pm

nate33 wrote:
mohammed10 wrote:For all of us arm-chair GMs, I thought it would be a good idea to post an up-to-date link to our current cap situation...

The 2010 luxtax threshold will probably be around $68M, maybe a bit lower. It is doubtful that we will retain all 3 of Haywood, Miller and Foye unless other cap-cutting measures are taken.

If the Wizards don't retain all 3 of Haywood, Miller and Foye (or get value for them), then that is a terrible indictment of the trade. If the luxury tax threshold is 68M, then the Wizards if they truly want to be a seriously competitive squad will likely need to have total salaries around 75-78 million. I do like the idea of using N1 to dump Stevenson if necessary, but I don't know how much savings the Wizards can reasonably expect from such a move. It's certainly an indictment of the Stevenson re-signing which some of us hated the moment it was made.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#6 » by Hoopalotta » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:48 pm

$68M would be absolutely brutal!

I don't know how many teams would be under that, but I bet that they would be looking at pocketing mucho-mulla.

But losing Young and Stevenson is too much. We would be losing one of the main benefits of the trade just made: depth on the wing.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#7 » by nate33 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:25 pm

There's a small chance that Stevenson regains his old form. If he plays like two years ago, then we might be able to trade him for an expiring contract if we throw in $3M cash to pay for most of his 2011 salary.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#8 » by Rafael122 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:20 pm

I think Ernie needs to stop giving player options.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by Benjammin » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:36 pm

Rafael122 wrote:I think Ernie needs to stop giving player options.

Unfortunately, a lot of other GMs do it as well, but I agree with you. Now team options, those are awesome if you can get a player to agree.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by mohammed10 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:57 pm

Rafael122 wrote:I think Ernie needs to stop giving player options.

Didn't realize there were so many Wiz kids with the player options. Totally agree, Raf!

:talkhand:

mohammed10
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by mohammed10 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:14 pm

Just saw this on *ahem, another website, ahem*

These guys really do, and did, their homework. Instead of all of us hacks recommending who EG should pick up, check this out.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2009/6/28 ... agents-who

Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#12 » by Hoopalotta » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:24 am

A lot of the guys on that list are way over optimistic though. I don't see how we can be looking at anything close to an MLE guy; we'd push the cap to over $80M and would have to watch some important players walk next year.

Foyle maybe, but I think some of the guys that were ruled out are more like it.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,447

Post#13 » by mhd » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:18 am

You know, I forgot about Rasho. He's a pretty solid, if unspectacular big. Flip has coached him before. He probably wouldn't care if he sat for some games. He has a big body.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by mohammed10 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:24 pm

mhd wrote:You know, I forgot about Rasho. He's a pretty solid, if unspectacular big. Flip has coached him before. He probably wouldn't care if he sat for some games. He has a big body.

FYI - Milwaukee just renounced their rights to Charlie Villenueva. I know he plays little D, but would it be worth taking a flyer on him?

fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#15 » by fishercob » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:57 pm

mohammed10 wrote:
mhd wrote:You know, I forgot about Rasho. He's a pretty solid, if unspectacular big. Flip has coached him before. He probably wouldn't care if he sat for some games. He has a big body.

FYI - Milwaukee just renounced their rights to Charlie Villenueva. I know he plays little D, but would it be worth taking a flyer on him?

There's no role for him here. He's a worse version of Jamison. He's going to sign with Cleveland.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
1977Odualum
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#16 » by 1977Odualum » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:46 pm

If the Wizards, as a team, really wanted to win a championship they would realize that they need a All-Star caliber player at center. Due to their current salary level, there is NO money to go out and get that type of player. Gilbert was considerate in returning some money to the team, but was it enough to do anything?......I'll tell ya the answer, absolutely note. If Gilbert was serious about a championship he would hand back another $5M per year. Could he possibly live on just the $11M per year...absolutely. If Jamison, took reduction of $4M and put him at about $9M, could he live on that? If Butler took a $1M reduction to $10M per year, could he manage through life.......of course. These cuts won't make big differences in their individual life BUT it could provide the Wizards with an additional $11M per year, could that make a difference to the team...ABSOLUTELY. Do the big three have any desire to make that happen...NOPE, therefore another season of getting knocked out of the playoffs in the first round...sad!
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#17 » by nate33 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:27 am

1977Odualum wrote:If the Wizards, as a team, really wanted to win a championship they would realize that they need a All-Star caliber player at center.

Thanks for that bit of sage advice. Clearly, the problem is that Wizards management didn't realize that having a good big man is helpful. Now they know.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Benjammin » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:41 am

nate33 wrote:
1977Odualum wrote:If the Wizards, as a team, really wanted to win a championship they would realize that they need a All-Star caliber player at center.

Thanks for that bit of sage advice. Clearly, the problem is that Wizards management didn't realize that having a good big man is helpful. Now they know.

Nate, I think the problem is that Wizards management does not realize that there is both a big man store and a big man orchard. You can go to either of these places and pick out the dominating big man you need and put the purchase on your credit card.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#19 » by Wizards2Lottery » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:07 am

1977Odualum wrote:If the Wizards, as a team, really wanted to win a championship they would realize that they need a All-Star caliber player at center. Due to their current salary level, there is NO money to go out and get that type of player. Gilbert was considerate in returning some money to the team, but was it enough to do anything?......I'll tell ya the answer, absolutely note. If Gilbert was serious about a championship he would hand back another $5M per year. Could he possibly live on just the $11M per year...absolutely. If Jamison, took reduction of $4M and put him at about $9M, could he live on that? If Butler took a $1M reduction to $10M per year, could he manage through life.......of course. These cuts won't make big differences in their individual life BUT it could provide the Wizards with an additional $11M per year, could that make a difference to the team...ABSOLUTELY. Do the big three have any desire to make that happen...NOPE, therefore another season of getting knocked out of the playoffs in the first round...sad!

Hi, Wiznasty. You aren't fooling anybody with this new handle.
1977Odualum
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#20 » by 1977Odualum » Thu Jul 2, 2009 11:59 am

Have no idea who (or what) Wiznasty is. My only point that I was making is that if the top three players take half the team salary then what kind of talent do you expect for the rest of them. We need a top notch Center (that actually plays defense) and we (the Wiz) don't have the money to get one. Maybe Arenas, Butler and Jamison can tell us why we don't have the money.

Return to Washington Wizards