Blatche Changes From #32 to #7

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

igetbucketsson
Ballboy
And1: 0

Blatche Changes From #32 to #7 

Post#1 » by igetbucketsson » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:32 pm

http://www.washingtonwizardsblog.com/20 ... m-32-to-7/

WWBlog.com: What was the reason for the number change?
Andray Blatche: “It is a new beginning. Like Obama said it is time for a change. For me it was time for a change. I had to change everything up. We have a new coach and a new staff. I had to change my number and get ready for a whole new me.”
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: Blatche Changes From #32 to #7 

Post#2 » by fishercob » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:35 pm

Nice. So now McGee and Haywood are the only rostered players with non-FIBA numbers right?
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
fishercob
RealGM

Post#3 » by fishercob » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:36 pm

WWBlog.com: Any reason you chose the #7?
Andray Blatche: “You know seven days of the week. Seven days of hard work each week. You have to stay focused seven days out of the week.”

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
— Steve Martin
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#4 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:38 pm

^ Oh, that's what it means. I thought he was planning to wear whatever number equalled his turnovers in the previous day's game.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,448

Post#5 » by mhd » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:38 pm

I thought it was because he saw how good Odom played in the playoffs.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#6 » by Kanyewest » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:39 pm

fishercob wrote:Nice. So now McGee and Haywood are the only rostered players with non-FIBA numbers right?

FIBA numbers are only 4-15. Meaning Arenas, Young, Stevenson, and Butler have non-FIBA numbers.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#7 » by miller31time » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:41 pm

LyricalRico wrote:^ Oh, that's what it means. I thought he was planning to wear whatever number equalled his turnovers in the previous day's game.

:lol:
fishercob
RealGM

Post#8 » by fishercob » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:44 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
fishercob wrote:Nice. So now McGee and Haywood are the only rostered players with non-FIBA numbers right?

FIBA numbers are only 4-15. Meaning Arenas, Young, Stevenson, and Butler have non-FIBA numbers.

Crap, there goes our shot at a Euroleague title. I do like it as a fun team unity idiosyncrasy. No way Haywood changes his number again though.
— Steve Martin
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#9 » by Severn Hoos » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:53 pm

fishercob wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:

Crap, there goes our shot at a Euroleague title. I do like it as a fun team unity idiosyncrasy. No way Haywood changes his number again though.

At one point, I would bug my wife by explaining how the positions are labeled one through five (PG=One, C=Five, etc.) by saying:

We have a #1, but he plays the three. And we have a #2, but he plays the one. Our #3 plays the two, and our #5 plays the four. Got it? (JJ, Blake, Dixon, Kwame) She'd just do this ----> :roll: . She does that a lot.

We're fairly well balanced now. Our #4 plays the four, our #3 plays the three, our #2 plays - well is listed as - a two. We have a problem with #1 (two) and #0 (one), but if Blatche is the second guy off the bench, he could kinda be a #7. But I don't think we want to see Dom at C any time soon.
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#10 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:03 pm

I'm very confident that #7 will be a better player than #32 was.

Blatche is making slow but steady progress and I think this coaching staff will reward his progress.
Bye bye Beal.
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#11 » by bulletproof_32 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:34 pm

I thought he was changing it because the Vegas Summer League is retiring his #32 jersey.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#12 » by fishercob » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:00 pm

bulletproof_32 wrote:I thought he was changing it because the Vegas Summer League is retiring his #32 jersey.

— Steve Martin
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#13 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:26 am

bulletproof_32 wrote:I thought he was changing it because the Vegas Summer League is retiring his #32 jersey.

good one
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#14 » by verbal8 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:03 am

igetbucketsson wrote:http://www.washingtonwizardsblog.com/2009/07/15/blatche-officially-changes-from-32-to-7/

WWBlog.com: What was the reason for the number change?
Andray Blatche: “It is a new beginning. Like Obama said it is time for a change. For me it was time for a change. I had to change everything up. We have a new coach and a new staff. I had to change my number and get ready for a whole new me.”

After having Arenas and Haywood healthy, a serious Blatche may be the most reason for optimism about this season. It may be also be a sign the window for Nick Young to get with the program or get shipped out is getting smaller.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#15 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:27 am

verbal8 wrote:It may be also be a sign the window for Nick Young to get with the program or get shipped out is getting smaller.

Oh I fully expect that the window for both Blatche/Young is a season or less at this point. If they are still inconsistent at the trade deadline, they're gone IMO.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#16 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:35 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
verbal8 wrote:It may be also be a sign the window for Nick Young to get with the program or get shipped out is getting smaller.

Oh I fully expect that the window for both Blatche/Young is a season or less at this point. If they are still inconsistent at the trade deadline, they're gone IMO.

+1

Blatche and Young are most on the hot seat, but everybody's feeling some heat.

Jamison better defend better or his minutes are going down and he might be traded. Ditto to a lesser extent for Caron. I strongly suspect by the end of the season one and/or the other will be somewhere else if all doesn't go well. Miller can play SF. Caron has to know that.

Even Javale better step it up because Flip's first impressions are going to determine his future as a Wizard.

I do like this coaching staff and predict we'll see a bit more than status quo come regular season. I believe Flip when he says the minutes will work themselves out according to who plays well.
Bye bye Beal.
VA_story
Junior
And1: 0

Post#17 » by VA_story » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:49 pm

Good to read ..let's hope it translates to the NBA season.
LEADER OF THE "FIRE FLIP" CAMPAIGN
TheGameWinner
Veteran
And1: 1,362

Post#18 » by TheGameWinner » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:09 am

He wants to be like Bargnani ;) jk. That's sick what he said about Obama and change.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#19 » by doclinkin » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:15 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:

+1

Blatche and Young are most on the hot seat, but everybody's feeling some heat.

Depth and competition are bound to help everybody. At the least, we're better poised to weather injuries now than we've been in years past. But Flip likes to tinker and develop set plays for certain personnel packages. He's got a ton of options now.

I've bee loving how Nick is playing in summerleague. Bodes well. He gets tired running off screens all game, but as the hot hand off the bench he won't need heavy minutes to do what he does well. Run through screens, shoot as soon as the ballhandler catches you open. Javaris has been setting him up well, running the team with patience.

And Nick's man-on defense has been pretty strong so far. He has definitely defined a role for himself as a mercenary gunfighter off the bench. I like that much better than asking him to dribble (carries the ball too often; dribbles into trouble then shoots a fadey) or pass (hits the opposing players as often as his teammates; takes too long to decide to pass, allowing defense to steal it). But as a catch and shoot player he's got strong utility in a ton of sets. Teams have to account for him, leaving other players open.

Return to Washington Wizards