Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

sCoTTYwIN
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: deshawn 

Post#21 » by sCoTTYwIN » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:09 pm

fifthstop wrote:
sCoTTYwIN wrote: hes also the coolest guy on the team

I think you'll find Mike Miller is a very cool dude. And of course there's Haywood and Agent0. So that's 3 right off the top of my head...

brenda is not cool.

the coolest people on the wiz are:

1. deshawn
2. gilbert
3. nick
4. javale
5. blatche
6. dom

nobody else is clown enough
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#22 » by DaRealHibachi » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:11 pm

sCoTTYwIN wrote:
fifthstop wrote:

I think you'll find Mike Miller is a very cool dude. And of course there's Haywood and Agent0. So that's 3 right off the top of my head...

brenda is not cool.

1. deshawn
2. gilbert
3. nick
4. javale
5. blatche
6. dom

Clowns dont win championships...
:beer: Magnumt
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#23 » by FreeBalling » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:27 pm

sCoTTYwIN wrote:
fifthstop wrote:

brenda is not cool.

It's Mr. Haywood to you ScottyWin.

Haywood was on the radio last week, he comes off as educated and level headed and cool. D.S. comes off more like a punk showing his credit card on line with BLING in his mouth, what about the worthless trash D.S. said about Le-Queef.

FWIW, I'm pulling for D.S. to get the starting spot. At the end of the day I want the best player playing S.G.
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#24 » by TheSecretWeapon » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:35 pm

sCoTTYwIN wrote:
fifthstop wrote:

brenda is not cool.

1. deshawn
2. gilbert
3. nick
4. javale
5. blatche
6. dom

Leaving aside DeRealHibachi's accurate point, this list is wrong. From conversations with all these guys, Gil is BY FAR the coolest guy on the team. Absolutely hilarious. Even better, he's filthy rich and a lousy poker player. Best of all, he doesn't know he's a lousy poker player.

Blatche isn't "cool" at all. In person, he's actually kind of boring. Deshawn is a good guy, but he wouldn't be the first guy I'd want to hang out with on the team. Young is more of a goofball than "cool." I like McGuire.

Haywood is a better to guy to hang out with than any of the young'uns. Smart guy. Very funny. Not trying to be an imbecile, which is what some folks do to be "cool."

Etan was actually good to hang with too, but that was because we had a common interest (writing) and not because he was necessarily "cool." If that makes any sense at all.

As for where Deshawn ranks among SGs, nate is correct. Stevenson does have his uses in a limited role -- such as the one he had when Arenas was healthy -- but everyone with the team not named Stevenson would rather see someone else at SG this season. That's why they traded for Miller and Foye.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Kuq_e_Zi91
Rookie
And1: 6

Post#25 » by Kuq_e_Zi91 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:03 pm

sCoTTYwIN wrote:
rofl ur an idiot. how did u get to me a mod on here again?

first of all, calling other players "worse" than other players is relative. deshawn needs to be on the floor for his defense. and Miller and Foye are WORSE than deshawn stevenson at defense. and in the east he would have started for:

Cleveland (who finished number 1) -- would have started over delonte
Orlando (finished 3rd) -- would have started over courtney lee
Chicago
Indiana
Charlotte
the Bucks
knicks
raptors

pwned rofl :lol: :lol:

Is this dude for real? He wouldn't have started for any of these teams. The Knicks maybe but like nate said, Hughes is a better option for D'Antoni. He wouldn't start in Indy either, even with Dunleavy injured, not if Brandon Rush starts off next season from where he left off at the end of last season. In fact, Dahntay Jones would start over him too.

With Miller and Foye in town, and Flip working with Young on coming off screens in catch and shoot situations (like Rip in DET), there's no room for Stevenson. It's not "hating on him", it's just stating the facts. There's better options on this team now.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,360

Post#26 » by Kanyewest » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:39 pm

nate33 wrote:
sCoTTYwIN wrote:
nate33 wrote:You can't name 5 starting shooting guards in this league worse than Deshawn.

first of all, calling other players "worse" than other players is relative. deshawn needs to be on the floor for his defense. and Miller and Foye are WORSE than deshawn stevenson at defense. and in the east he would have started for:

Chicago
Indiana
Charlotte
the Bucks
knicks
raptors

Cleveland: West is better than Stevenson
Orlando: Lee and Pietrus are both better than Stevenson
Chicago: Salmons is better than Stevenson
Indiana: Deshawn would have a shot here - he and Marquis Daniels are about even
Charlotte: Bell is better than Stevenson
Bucks: Redd is miles better than Stevenson. Stevenson might have started when Redd was hurt.
Knicks: Hughes and Stevenson are about equal. D'Antoni would probably take Hughes in his system.
Raptors: Anthony Parker is better than Stevenson.

You can make a case for Indiana and Knicks. There's also Houston while TMac was out (though I'd rather start Battier out-of-position at SG than Stevenson). That's about it.

Are we talking about this year? Or next year? IE John Salmons wasn't the starting shooting guard last year and Marquis Daniels and Anthony Parker were not the starting shooting guards last year.

Assuming DeShawn is healthy:

Indiana- Stevenson has a very good chance of starting here given that Daniels is now on the Celtics
Toronto- Stevenson starts given that Demar DeRoazen isn't rady for prime time
Minnesota- If you have a team that's concerned about winning games: DeShawn Stevenson starts over Wayne Ellington

Last year assuming DeShawn is healthy

- The Bucks: Michael Redd only played 33 games last season
- The Thunder- Stevenson beats out Thabo Sefolosha
- Cleveland: West is the better player but what they really lacked was a reliable bench scorer coming off the bench. Also, a backcourt of Williams and West is very small.
- Philly- Stevenson is better than Willie Green
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#27 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:04 pm

sCoTTYwIN wrote:
nate33 wrote:You can't name 5 starting shooting guards in this league worse than Deshawn.

Chicago
Indiana
Charlotte
the Bucks
knicks
raptors

Nate might be a cat juggler for all we know...

He might be a closet Hanna Montana fan...

He may be, gasp, a Mike Huckabee acolyte...

....but, he is not an idiot. Please keep this kind of nonsense off the board.
In Rizzo we trust
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,455

Post#28 » by nate33 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:05 pm

Kanyewest wrote:Assuming DeShawn is healthy:

Indiana- Stevenson has a very good chance of starting here given that Daniels is now on the Celtics
Toronto- Stevenson starts given that Demar DeRoazen isn't rady for prime time
Minnesota- If you have a team that's concerned about winning games: DeShawn Stevenson starts over Wayne Ellington

Last year assuming DeShawn is healthy

- The Bucks: Michael Redd only played 33 games last season
- The Thunder- Stevenson beats out Thabo Sefolosha
- Cleveland: West is the better player but what they really lacked was a reliable bench scorer coming off the bench. Also, a backcourt of Williams and West is very small.
- Philly- Stevenson is better than Willie Green

Nice breakdown Kanyewest. I disagree about Cleveland, and they're moving Iggy to SG in Philly; but other than that, it's a good list. My original point still stands. Stevenson would have started on less than 5 teams in the league in any of the last 3 seasons.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#29 » by TheSecretWeapon » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:42 pm

Can't count Milwaukee as a place where Stevenson would have started because with Redd on the roster, Stevenson would not have been the starter. Redd would have been the starter -- Stevenson would have been the injury replacement.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,710

Post#30 » by montestewart » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:57 pm

I look forward to SG issue shaking out as the 8-10 man rotation is deployed, and wish there wasn't such a glut of guards where a trade (of Stevenson, James, maybe Crittendon and even Young) might address greater needs. That a healthy Stevenson (who arguably might merit starting on a few teams this year) could be the 3rd or even 4th SG is a surprise, but it shows the depth of the team.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#31 » by hands11 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:41 am

sCoTTYwIN wrote:i am sick of ppl hating on deshawn. he shot 40% from behind the arc his first two seasons with us. last year he was INJURED. hes also the coolest guy on the team and the best backcourt defender we have. i realize that Mike miller can shoot better and Foye is younger, but neither of them are good defenders. flip flip is gonna want him out on the floor, trust me, im a season ticket holder. he also OWNS lebytch.

also, he has scored over 30 multiple times and he took 2nd in the 2001 dunk contest (and he was robbed anyays, should have been first )

In 2001 LOL... Crap .. In 2001 I had a lot more hair on my head.

Look, no one is writing DeShawn off completely. He gets a chance to prove what he can do just like everyone else.

But the fact that you think he is the coolest guy on the team will no doubt paint your views for a lot of people on this board. Personally, I think he is the most immature idiot left on this team and that's saying something. But I think Flip will set a different standard. DS calling out LeBron before a playoff game isn't likely to happen under Flip. I'm pretty confident Flip has explained this to him already in the one on on meeting.

So while he does add a vet presence and some toughness, he is also coming off back surgery and it's been many years since he was a high flier. Well see. If he can be a good defender who can nail a 3, that is valuable.

As of today, I think he will fight for a spot. He could find himself in any role from starter to off the team.

BH, Burto, McGee
AJ, AB, DMAC
CB, MM
Foye, NY
GA, Critter

That's 12 players right there without talking about James or DS

So you could say DS is starting and Foye is backing up Gil. Critter is inactive. It could happen.
At this point, anything could happen. Time will tell.

It's going to be a fight for a roster spot.
Paulomanv8
Ballboy

Post#32 » by Paulomanv8 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:31 am

hands11 wrote:
sCoTTYwIN wrote:i am sick of ppl hating on deshawn. he shot 40% from behind the arc his first two seasons with us. last year he was INJURED. hes also the coolest guy on the team and the best backcourt defender we have. i realize that Mike miller can shoot better and Foye is younger, but neither of them are good defenders. flip flip is gonna want him out on the floor, trust me, im a season ticket holder. he also OWNS lebytch.

also, he has scored over 30 multiple times and he took 2nd in the 2001 dunk contest (and he was robbed anyays, should have been first )

In 2001 LOL... Crap .. In 2001 I had a lot more hair on my head.

Look, no one is writing DeShawn off completely. He gets a chance to prove what he can do just like everyone else.

But the fact that you think he is the coolest guy on the team will no doubt paint your views for a lot of people on this board. Personally, I think he is the most immature idiot left on this team and that's saying something. But I think Flip will set a different standard. DS calling out LeBron before a playoff game isn't likely to happen under Flip. I'm pretty confident Flip has explained this to him already in the one on on meeting.

So while he does add a vet presence and some toughness, he is also coming off back surgery and it's been many years since he was a high flier. Well see. If he can be a good defender who can nail a 3, that is valuable.

As of today, I think he will fight for a spot. He could find himself in any role from starter to off the team.

BH, Burto, McGee
AJ, AB, DMAC
CB, MM
Foye, NY
GA, Critter

That's 12 players right there without talking about James or DS

So you could say DS is starting and Foye is backing up Gil. Critter is inactive. It could happen.
At this point, anything could happen. Time will tell.

It's going to be a fight for a roster spot.

Umm, an immature idiot??? ... how are you going to attack this guy when youve got professional athletes out there bringing guns into clubs and people like j.r. smith who have been responsible for the death of another human... and dont forget about the tons and tons of jaded athletes who complain about their playing time and there roles on their teams (stephon marbury, allen iverson) and players who take entire games off (Rasheed Wallace) ... and then theirs deshawn, who never EVER complains about his roll on the team, works his hardest every game even if he doesnt come through for us, and respects his role on the team of playing hard defense... there are A TON of immature idiots out in the professional basketball/professional sports world... but dont put that on Deshawn, he does nothing but work hard and he NEVER complains... very humble guy, just likes to have fun and turn his swag on(when he doesnt have pinched nerves in his back)
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,360

Post#33 » by Kanyewest » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:24 am

TheSecretWeapon wrote:Can't count Milwaukee as a place where Stevenson would have started because with Redd on the roster, Stevenson would not have been the starter. Redd would have been the starter -- Stevenson would have been the injury replacement.

The assumption was if Stevenson was healthy; not if the entire league was healthy; and for last year. Michael Redd missed more than 1/2 the season so it's a place where he would have started the majority of the season. Of course, Michael Redd is the superior player but Milwaulkee would have been a place where Stevenson would have started because of the injury.

BTW, I wonder if Stevenson would have started over Eric Gordon last year; again if they were concerned about winning games. Davis and Gordon is a very small backcourt. New Orleans could put him in the starting lineup given that their depth in shooting guard is pretty weak.

Again this assumes if Stevenson is healthy and not how he played in the 08-09 season with a back injury
no D in Hibachi
Veteran

Post#34 » by no D in Hibachi » Sun Nov 1, 2009 3:06 pm

Bump.

I've been hard on DeShawn for the better part of two years. I've always thought he was a complete idiot, overpaid, terrible in the playoffs, and last year you could argue no player in NBA history had a worse shooting season. That said, he's been utilized very well thus far this season. In a limited role, only 15 minutes per game, he's provided tough defense and has provided a solid all-round spark off the bench. I hope he can keep this up.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,059

Post#35 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Nov 1, 2009 3:39 pm

I liked his rebounding against New Jersey. He played hard and he played well. Stevenson had a very nice drive coast to coast for a layup at the halftime buzzer.

Andray Blatche mentioned DeShawn Stevenson (along with Sam Cassell) as being instrumental in helping him prepare for this season. Don't know exactly what DeShawn said or did for Andray, but I do feel Stevenson is a good teammate and a good veteran presence on the team.

He's accepted not starting well and he's bringing it when he's out there.

I think he can keep this up. He's obviously healthier than last season and seems as sharp as he ever was.
Bye bye Beal.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#36 » by MJG » Sun Nov 1, 2009 4:05 pm

If he continues to play the way he has, then I think he'll be fine as a 15 MPG backup. And perhaps more importantly, some other team may think he'll be fine as a 15 MPG backup, and will be more willing to take on his extra year for an expiring (we'd still have to sweeten the pot a bit, but that's better than teams rejecting the idea outright).
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#37 » by keynote » Sun Nov 1, 2009 4:16 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I liked his rebounding against New Jersey. He played hard and he played well. Stevenson had a very nice drive coast to coast for a layup at the halftime buzzer.

Andray Blatche mentioned DeShawn Stevenson (along with Sam Cassell) as being instrumental in helping him prepare for this season. Don't know exactly what DeShawn said or did for Andray, but I do feel Stevenson is a good teammate and a good veteran presence on the team.

He's accepted not starting well and he's bringing it when he's out there.

I think he can keep this up. He's obviously healthier than last season and seems as sharp as he ever was.

I can't remember where I read it, but apparently DeShawn helped Blatche improve his diet; now, Dray eats like a grown-up athlete (lean meats, vegetables, etc). Except, of course, for the occasional Cinnabon binge.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#38 » by Halcyon » Sun Nov 1, 2009 5:13 pm

It looked like Stevenson's dribbled has improved a ton from when we last saw him. Am I just imagining this? He looks a lot more in control of his dribble coming up the court and dribbling in the half court.

Anyway right now Stevenson is playing the perfect amount of minutes, around 15-20 minutes a game. He moves the ball around, plays a bit of defense and it looks like he can knock down the open 3s again, so that's a plus. When Butler comes back I bet that goes down by a bit, but he definitely has a role on this team.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#39 » by GhostsOfGil » Mon Nov 2, 2009 3:51 pm

Halcyon wrote:It looked like Stevenson's dribbled has improved a ton from when we last saw him. Am I just imagining this? He looks a lot more in control of his dribble coming up the court and dribbling in the half court.

Anyway right now Stevenson is playing the perfect amount of minutes, around 15-20 minutes a game. He moves the ball around, plays a bit of defense and it looks like he can knock down the open 3s again, so that's a plus. When Butler comes back I bet that goes down by a bit, but he definitely has a role on this team.

really? i remember one possession he was bringing hte ball up court and tried to go around his back and the defender nearly made him turn it over. ds then made a terrible pass to gil and gil turned it over. also there have been plays when hes forced to bring the ball up and full court pressure has really made for some sloppy play. he looked out of control and sloppy imo. ur 2nd paragraph i completely agree with though

Return to Washington Wizards