Re: Washington Wizards @ Atlanta Hawks Game Thread 10/30/2009 

Post#142 » by DallasShalDune » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:50 am

Well, there's always next game I guess.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#143 » by 80sballboy » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:50 am

Miller did give up that offensive rebound to Marvin, but whatever. You can only do so much when Gil is in outer space and your two other best scorers are hurt. I would sit him the rest of the game and put Mike James in. We need the Nets win. I'm sure Butler will be out indef. :(
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#144 » by Halcyon » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:52 am

Well, without Jamison and now Butler, we lost too much firepower. Not to mention Arenas and the rest of the guards (aside from Mike Miller) played really bad tonight...
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#145 » by closg00 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:53 am

Not surprised, Dallas actually played soft and badly. Tonight is our turn to stink it up.
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#146 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:55 am

Halcyon wrote:Well, without Jamison and now Butler, we lost too much firepower. Not to mention Arenas and the rest of the guards (aside from Mike Miller) played really bad tonight...

Yeah I'm not sure what Gil and Lil Gil's shooting percentages are right now but they can't be great. Still 3 minutes to get the hibachi lit however
AceDegenerate
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#147 » by AceDegenerate » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:55 am

This team and the injuries is ridiculous.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#148 » by 80sballboy » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:00 am

I don't care about his solid defense tonight. Miller has to shoot it. The guy is such a good shooter and has the handle to create separation.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#149 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:01 am

At least Randy Foye passed well. Man Nick Young is some garbage when his shot is not falling.
GilArenas88
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#150 » by GilArenas88 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:01 am

Turnovers, lack of a second option, defensive rebounding, and the freakin refs killed us tonight.

P.S. Plus tyler
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#151 » by yungal07 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:01 am

80sballboy wrote:I don't care about his solid defense tonight. Miller has to shoot it. The guy is such a good shooter and has the handle to create separation.

I agree...he needs to shoot more. Especially when the team is missing their 2 leading scorers from last season.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#152 » by Halcyon » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:02 am

NbdyBeatsTheWiz wrote:
Halcyon wrote:Well, without Jamison and now Butler, we lost too much firepower. Not to mention Arenas and the rest of the guards (aside from Mike Miller) played really bad tonight...

Yeah I'm not sure what Gil and Lil Gil's shooting percentages are right now but they can't be great. Still 3 minutes to get the hibachi lit however
Arenas is going to end up with a decent shooting percentage, but the 7 TOs are killer.

Also aside from Miller and Arenas, Foye + NY1 + Stevenson shot 3/19 from the floor. Ouch.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#153 » by WizarDynasty » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:05 am

Haywood really sucked. We need to give McGee alot more minutes. Haywood has no offensive post coordination and he is still a poor defensive rebounder and almost no explosiveness getting off the ground to shot block. He has lost of alot of what the defining charateristics that made him dominant two years ago. the first was that he had very coordinated hook shot post move. second he was able to consistently hit the mid range jumper on pick and rolls, and he was also far more mobile going after defensive rebounds. time has caused haywood to become even more stiff moving his body and leaping for defensive rebounds. that is what really killed us. Blatche was the only big that caused double teams in the post.
That's the true real problem. Butler has lost all of the explosive athleticism he used to have when he sued to finish in traffic with dunks when he first got here. We don't have a sg or sf that can finish with a dunk in traffic. Nick is pathetic with a weak body. foye is a 6'0 pg trying to play shooting guard. Mike is a player that kills you on perimeter if you have a post player that can create a double team. Haywood can't do that. Flip should be developing his offense to force defenses to double on McGee and Blatche. arenas and foye are not going to take over at will anymore because refs are not calling hand check calls like they did 3 years ago when arenas was playing.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#154 » by 80sballboy » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:05 am

Hopefully the Butler injury isn't serious. We'll need Nick to wake the F up and get his game going. It's not like he doesn't have the talent to score.
go'stags
Sixth Man
And1: 29

Post#155 » by go'stags » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:06 am

We lost this game, and it looks like it will be by double figures, but I am not worried in the least bit. Frustrated, yes, but not worried.

No Jamison, no Butler, on the road, with the refs taking us out of the game in the first half. Gil still doesn't have his handle back, but that will come. Despite his scoring, i don't think Haywood played all that well. But I have no doubt he will return to form with more game action. I actually think Foye played pretty well, his shot just wasn't falling.

Really only Blatche, McGee, and Miller played well. Miller needs to shoot more, we should run him off some more screens to give him some opportunities. Tremendous rebounder though.

Some might think I am crazy saying this after a double digit loss, but by the end of the year the Hawks wont be on our level. The game never really got out of hand, despite all of the things mentioned above.

Yea, we'll be alright.
LyricalRico wrote:
Speaking of giant penises, what's up with Bobby Simmons?.
BanndNDC
Lead Assistant

Post#156 » by BanndNDC » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:07 am

I hate Nick Young. He is now officially my designated scapegoat for anything that goes wrong this season. he really screwed things up with his bad play and by getting us into a horrible rhythm.

we look like crap. the wonderful team oriented offense we saw on opening night seems to have disappeared.

oh well. the positives: blatche had a decent game. maybe the light has turned on. miller and foye are solid never say die players. mcgee continues to work hard and will be a contributor.

the negatives: nick young is still nick young. butler got hurt. gilbert tried to go one on five.
Until Grunfeld goes there is no rebuild.
DallasShalDune
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#157 » by DallasShalDune » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:08 am

I hope you're right stags. In my thinking, we looked great on our 12-0 run (but who doesn't?). We were calm, collected, played good defense, and ran the offense. Miller was dominating on the boards and on D, Gilbert was our general. If Fabricio and Miller didn't get into foul trouble, then we would have won this game no doubt.

Well, that, and if TJ didn't get hurt.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#158 » by closg00 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:16 am

WizarDynasty wrote:Haywood really sucked. We need to give McGee alot more minutes. Haywood has no offensive post coordination and he is still a poor defensive rebounder and almost no explosiveness getting off the ground to shot block.

Amen to that! It really annoys the hell out of me when Haywood is out on the break, the ball is thrown to him, and then........he freezes. Why? because he lacks the coordination and athleticism to finish.
GilArenas88
Sixth Man

Post#159 » by GilArenas88 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:16 am

Im not to dissapointed in tonights loss. We basically played without Butler and Jamison and cut it to 6-7 a few times when no one was making anything. Our defense was poor the first half but didnt do to shabby the second half. Blatche played pretty well on offense, could have played better defense and rebounding, but atleast he showed some consistency on offense. Brendan was solid, Gil had a good 4th quarter. They shoot only 41% from the field and 25% from three, again thats good. Things that killed us was there fast breaking in the end of the first and second period off of our careless turnovers and bad shot attempts. This actually wasn't that bad of a loss, like you would feel in the past, we just didn't make shots and turned the ball over.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,353

Post#160 » by nate33 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:22 am

go'stags wrote:We lost this game, and it looks like it will be by double figures, but I am not worried in the least bit. Frustrated, yes, but not worried.

No Jamison, no Butler, on the road, with the refs taking us out of the game in the first half. Gil still doesn't have his handle back, but that will come. Despite his scoring, i don't think Haywood played all that well. But I have no doubt he will return to form with more game action. I actually think Foye played pretty well, his shot just wasn't falling.

Really only Blatche, McGee, and Miller played well. Miller needs to shoot more, we should run him off some more screens to give him some opportunities. Tremendous rebounder though.

Some might think I am crazy saying this after a double digit loss, but by the end of the year the Hawks wont be on our level. The game never really got out of hand, despite all of the things mentioned above.

Yea, we'll be alright.

Cosign.

The Hawks are an established team who returned their top 6 players from last year, the same coach, and the same system. We came into town with a new coach running a completely different system with only one starter returning from last year's squad. Furthermore, the Hawks were at home and we were missing one of our best players. It was unreasonable to expect a win.

We made a zillion boneheaded mistakes with the basketball and endured horrific shooting from the trio of Stevenson, Young and Foye yet we were still in this thing with 5:00 to go. We're going to be just fine.

That one 6-point swing was a killer. Arenas launched a three that would have cut the lead to five. Arenas had just hit two jumpers and was in a rhythm so it was a good shot. It rimmed out and Atlanta ended up hitting a three at the other end. Next thing you know, we're down 11.

The best takeaway from the game is that Blatche continues to play well. It's not just his numbers (which were only so-so), it's the fact that he played smart basketball. He was in the right spot on D and made the right decisions on offense. He even took a charge at one point but it was ruled a foul because the tip of his heel was in the circle. Still a good play though.

If Blatche continues to play this well, we are going to be an extremely deep team once Jamison gets back.

Return to Washington Wizards