ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Brendan Haywood Sells DC Area House

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

GilArenas88
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Re: OT: Brendan Haywood Sells DC Area House 

Post#21 » by GilArenas88 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:19 pm

If Haywood leaves I think I'll cry. Haywood is probably my second favorite player on the team when Gil isn't playing with his head up his ass. This year he's been the only bright spot on a so-far struggling squad. IMO he's the most underater, or right there, player in the league. Im keeping hope we resign him though.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#22 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:25 pm

Well yes. If we intend to rebuild, then certainly a Haywood S&T is possible. However, if we plan to rebuild, then we may as well start right now. We'll get more value trading Haywood at the Trade Deadline that if we wait for a S&T this summer. There are a few quality teams that are a defensive center away from being a legit contender: Dallas and Miami come to mind immediately. San Antonio, Utah, New Orleans and Atlanta might consider a Haywood trade as well. Toronto and OKC might also be interested in Haywood from a more long-term perspective.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#23 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:29 pm

Haywood needs to stay, Caron may be on the way out
sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#24 » by sashae » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:44 pm

I don't blame Brendan if he wants to leave. What a disaster this team is.
ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#25 » by fishercob » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:39 pm

nate33 wrote:Well yes. If we intend to rebuild, then certainly a Haywood S&T is possible. However, if we plan to rebuild, then we may as well start right now. We'll get more value trading Haywood at the Trade Deadline that if we wait for a S&T this summer. There are a few quality teams that are a defensive center away from being a legit contender: Dallas and Miami come to mind immediately. San Antonio, Utah, New Orleans and Atlanta might consider a Haywood trade as well. Toronto and OKC might also be interested in Haywood from a more long-term perspective.

Given who they're run by, I would indeed expect OKC to be interested in Haywood. But I don't see them trading for him, but rather just going after him in free agency. I think it's likely that Presti and his team understand and value Haywood's contributions highly, and see him as a missing pice to them making "the leap."

He's a great fit there; they have a great young team and the ability to pay him. That worries me -- a lot.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#26 » by verbal8 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:15 pm

fishercob wrote:Given who they're run by, I would indeed expect OKC to be interested in Haywood. But I don't see them trading for him, but rather just going after him in free agency. I think it's likely that Presti and his team understand and value Haywood's contributions highly, and see him as a missing pice to them making "the leap."

He's a great fit there; they have a great young team and the ability to pay him. That worries me -- a lot.

It is kind of amusing he would be replacing Etan if he goes to OKC. Haywood and Krstic would give them a lot of options at the Center position.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#27 » by fishercob » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:36 pm

verbal8 wrote:
fishercob wrote:Given who they're run by, I would indeed expect OKC to be interested in Haywood. But I don't see them trading for him, but rather just going after him in free agency. I think it's likely that Presti and his team understand and value Haywood's contributions highly, and see him as a missing pice to them making "the leap."

It is kind of amusing he would be replacing Etan if he goes to OKC. Haywood and Krstic would give them a lot of options at the Center position.

Durant, Green, Westbrook, Haywood, Harden, Thabo, Kristic and Collison is a really, really good top 8.
— Steve Martin
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#28 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:37 pm

fishercob wrote:
nate33 wrote:Well yes. If we intend to rebuild, then certainly a Haywood S&T is possible. However, if we plan to rebuild, then we may as well start right now. We'll get more value trading Haywood at the Trade Deadline that if we wait for a S&T this summer. There are a few quality teams that are a defensive center away from being a legit contender: Dallas and Miami come to mind immediately. San Antonio, Utah, New Orleans and Atlanta might consider a Haywood trade as well. Toronto and OKC might also be interested in Haywood from a more long-term perspective.

Given who they're run by, I would indeed expect OKC to be interested in Haywood. But I don't see them trading for him, but rather just going after him in free agency. I think it's likely that Presti and his team understand and value Haywood's contributions highly, and see him as a missing pice to them making "the leap."

I'm hoping that they're hesitant to commit big money to Haywood when they know they have to resign Green and Durant down the road.

Haywood would be a very good center for them, but only at the right price. They'd probably love to have him at $6M a year. $8-9M a year? Not so much.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#29 » by MJG » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:06 pm

On another Haywood note, Hollinger tabbed him as his second most underrated center, behind Marc Gasol:
Haywood is the type of no-frills player who's easy to overlook, especially on a Wizards team with so many scorers. However, he's been a quietly productive center for several years now and it's no accident that the Wiz slid down the tubes last season when he missed nearly the entire season with a wrist injury.

Haywood has limited range but scores surprisingly often (15.2 points per 40 minutes in 2007-08), using the occasional dribble drive. Meanwhile, his size makes him a force at the defensive end despite a lack of highlight-reel blocked shots.

Nice to see someone finally give some of the "credit" for last season's failure to the fact that Haywood was out.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#30 » by fishercob » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:53 pm

nate33 wrote:
fishercob wrote:

I'm hoping that they're hesitant to commit big money to Haywood when they know they have to resign Green and Durant down the road.

Haywood would be a very good center for them, but only at the right price. They'd probably love to have him at $6M a year. $8-9M a year? Not so much.

Perhaps. I fear that's wishful thinking though. With Westbrook, Harden and Thabo locked up on the relative cheap for a few more years, I can see them springing for Haywood -- especially if they could get him to agree to a front loaded (i.e. declining deal).
— Steve Martin
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#31 » by closg00 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:07 pm

MJG wrote:On another Haywood note, Hollinger tabbed him as his second most underrated center, behind Marc Gasol:
Haywood is the type of no-frills player who's easy to overlook, especially on a Wizards team with so many scorers. However, he's been a quietly productive center for several years now and it's no accident that the Wiz slid down the tubes last season when he missed nearly the entire season with a wrist injury.

Haywood has limited range but scores surprisingly often (15.2 points per 40 minutes in 2007-08), using the occasional dribble drive. Meanwhile, his size makes him a force at the defensive end despite a lack of highlight-reel blocked shots.

Nice to see someone finally give some of the "credit" for last season's failure to the fact that Haywood was out.

The not-so secret is out and you can bet that Wood is on the radar of more than a few teams.
Wood could have held onto his house until he knew the outcome of the season, but he didn't even wait for that cause his mind is already made-up, it's anywhere but DC. I still suspect that he has a deal waiting for him elsewhere.
Hawaii
Pro Prospect
And1: 21

Post#32 » by Hawaii » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:20 am

I'm expecting him to leave DC, he's spent a long time here without significant forward progress. Somebody said he'd fit in well with the Spurs, and I agree. Sucks to see him go because I like him with us, but what do you expect? He's probably putting his house on the market now because the market's so bad. Did the house sell already?
Hawaii
Pro Prospect
And1: 21

Post#33 » by Hawaii » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:21 am

bulletproof_32 wrote:Word on the street is that DeShawn has volunteered to be the bricklayer for Wood's new house.

hahahahahahaha!
closg00
RealGM

Post#34 » by closg00 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:51 am

Hawaii wrote:I'm expecting him to leave DC, he's spent a long time here without significant forward progress. Somebody said he'd fit in well with the Spurs, and I agree. Sucks to see him go because I like him with us, but what do you expect? He's probably putting his house on the market now because the market's so bad. Did the house sell already?

Yes, Wood sold his house in Virginia.
closg00
RealGM

Post#35 » by closg00 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:04 am

Per David Aldridge's piece, Wood turned down a 32-33 million extension offer from us so yeah, he's in a rental with his bags packed. :wave:
newslowsad
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#36 » by newslowsad » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:19 am

I won't be mad at Wood if he leaves. In hindsight, he should have left years ago considering how much Eddie Jordan was holding him back.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#37 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:10 pm

newslowsad wrote:I won't be mad at Wood if he leaves. In hindsight, he should have left years ago considering how much Eddie Jordan was holding him back.

On the other hand, he is thriving under Flip. Washington is also close to his home town in North Carolina. I think if the Wizards put forth a competitive offer, there's a good chance he'll stay. Haywood just believes (and probably rightly so) that $33M isn't a as much as what he can get this summer.
closg00
RealGM

Post#38 » by closg00 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:29 pm

nate33 wrote:
newslowsad wrote:I won't be mad at Wood if he leaves. In hindsight, he should have left years ago considering how much Eddie Jordan was holding him back.

On the other hand, he is thriving under Flip. Washington is also close to his home town in North Carolina. I think if the Wizards put forth a competitive offer, there's a good chance he'll stay. Haywood just believes (and probably rightly so) that $33M isn't a as much as what he can get this summer.

I think he's just done with this group Nate, read between the lines with all of his comments past and present. Wood has put in a lot of years here and now it's time to get paid and play elsewhere...preferably with a tier-1 team or team on the rise (OKC?).

And Nate, I think you can put Wood on your list of conservative NBA players, I have him pegged as a closet black Republican :) Remember this article?
http://www.bvonsports.com/2009/07/23/wi ... ch-athlet/
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#39 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:03 pm

closg00 wrote:I think he's just done with this group Nate, read between the lines with all of his comments past and present. Wood has put in a lot of years here and now it's time to get paid and play elsewhere...preferably with a tier-1 team or team on the rise (OKC?).

And Nate, I think you can put Wood on your list of conservative NBA players, I have him pegged as a closet black Republican :) Remember this article?
http://www.bvonsports.com/2009/07/23/wi ... ch-athlet/

I get the feeling that Haywood is to the right of the typical black athlete, but I wouldn't call him a conservative. He voted for Obama and he was against Rush Limbaugh owning an NFL franchise.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#40 » by keynote » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:28 pm

So far, I can't find anything on the net to shed more light on the Wizards' off-season contract offer. I've asked Mike Lee via Twitter. I'm not an avid user; we'll see how that goes.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.

Return to Washington Wizards