Organizational Change

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Organizational Change 

Post#1 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:31 pm

Although it might not be tactful to discuss this so soon after hearing of Abe's passing, it's going to get discussed anyhow. I figure we should start a separate thread to keep the superficial basketball analysis apart from the real life commentary on the other thread.

no D in Hibachi brought up an interesting point in the EG thread:
no D in Hibachi wrote:The loss of Abe Pollin is really going to put EG on thin ice. Pollin was loyal to his GM's and coach's to a fault. If EG's product doesn't produce I can see Ted make some schrewd moves. When Leonsis took over the Caps the organization was essentially overhauled and since became on of the top NHL teams. His formula for success worked once, I suppose he believes it will happen again. I think the Wiz have until the trade deadline to make it work.

Can somebody fill an out-of-towner like me in on this? What exactly did Leonsis do when he took over the Caps? What might we expect to happen in the next few seasons with the Wizards?
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: Organizational Change 

Post#2 » by fishercob » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:40 pm

To my knowledge, Ted has a first refusal right on the sale of the Wizards. I do wonder if/how much this ties Ernie's hand for the foreseeable future.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#3 » by Halcyon » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:42 pm

From what I can remember when Leonsis bought the team from Abe in 1999, he retained the GM, who was George McPhee. They went through a few years of trying to buy talent, which resulted in some disastrous years. However after that didn't work they went with the new approach of building on young talent. Through all this he kept McPhee...so my feeling is that if Grunfield and Leonsis are on the same page, he will stick with GMEG, but Leonsis is flexible in his views and is definitely willing to change his approach.
Zerocious
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Zerocious » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:45 pm

Although leonsis has first refusal, who are other ownership candidates?
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#5 » by verbal8 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:52 pm

My initial impression of Leonis is he is what would happen if Snyder "got-it" about how to run a sports franchise.

However I think a less outspoken Cuban may be a better comparison.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#6 » by fishercob » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:05 pm

Who knows if Ted will even exercise the buy right. There are precious few two-sport franchise owners anymore. Plus, I cannot imagine his financial position is anywhere near as good as it was a few years ago.

OTOH, he bought the Mystics just to get a shot at the Wiz. More than likely he brings in whatever investors he needs and acts as the front man.
— Steve Martin
tkunit
Head Coach
And1: 7

Post#7 » by tkunit » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:05 pm

does Abe have any sons that would take the team?
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#8 » by Hoopalotta » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:06 pm

Zerocious wrote:Although leonsis has first refusal, who are other ownership candidates?

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#9 » by LyricalRico » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:10 pm

I actually don't think Leonsis has been all that great. The biggest thing Leonsis did was draft Ovechkin...which he was only able to do because the team was so bad. Prior to that all he had to his credit were sub-par trades and overpriced free agent disasters. Pretty much similar to Snyder IMO - willing to spend money but not necessarily doing it wisely.

But Leonsis likely has zero loyalty to any Wiz incumbents, either in management or on the court, there is definitely the potential for change.
MF23
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#10 » by MF23 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:10 pm

I hope Teddy big bucks takes ownership. I wonder what the approach will be now towards building a contender. I think things will change a bit and I'd be excited to see some changes to several areas in the Wizards org.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#11 » by Halcyon » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:14 pm

LyricalRico wrote:I actually don't think Leonsis has been all that great. The biggest thing Leonsis did was draft Ovechkin...which he was only able to do because the team was so bad. Prior to that all he had to his credit were sub-par trades and overpriced free agent disasters. Pretty much similar to Snyder IMO - willing to spend money but not necessarily doing it wisely.

But Leonsis likely has zero loyalty to any Wiz incumbents, either in management or on the court, there is definitely the potential for change.

Well the biggest thing he did imo was to be truly honest with the fans. After his debacle with Jagr, and various FA acquisitions that didn't work out (which you reference), they told the fans that they would suck for a few years, but would rebuild the "right" way. Granted he lucked into getting a HOF player like Ovie, but the team is filled with young talent which will keep this team very competitive for years to come.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#12 » by Benjammin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:14 pm

fishercob wrote:Who knows if Ted will even exercise the buy right. There are precious few two-sport franchise owners anymore. Plus, I cannot imagine his financial position is anywhere near as good as it was a few years ago.

OTOH, he bought the Mystics just to get a shot at the Wiz. More than likely he brings in whatever investors he needs and acts as the front man.

It's my understanding that Leonsis (and/or his group) already owns 40% of WSE which is the umbrella company that includes the Wizards and the arena, etc. I have a hard time believing he wouldn't want to get majority control and if he needs to get other investors or partners, to go ahead and do that.

As for the question that was posed about Mr. Pollin's sons, it has been consistently reported that they are not interested in running a sports franchise.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#13 » by keynote » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:16 pm

What's the Capitals' medical staff like? To me, that's the biggest area for potential improvement in the Wizards' org. If Ted needs to throw wads of cash at the Pistons' shamans or the Suns' faith healers, so be it. Heck, make Tim Grover a part owner if that's what it takes.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#14 » by fishercob » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:21 pm

LyricalRico wrote:I actually don't think Leonsis has been all that great. The biggest thing Leonsis did was draft Ovechkin...which he was only able to do because the team was so bad. Prior to that all he had to his credit were sub-par trades and overpriced free agent disasters. Pretty much similar to Snyder IMO - willing to spend money but not necessarily doing it wisely.

Are you high? Have you been to a Caps game recently and experienced the vibe in the arena on any game night? The guy listens to fans -- answers emails for crissakes. He's every loser fan's (yes, I'm talking about all of us who spend hours upon hours on this website) wet dream.

Yeah, Ovechkin was great. But they've built an entire organization from the ground up. Semin, Green, Varlamov, Alzner, Carlson, maybe a dozen others. We'd probably have our own D-league squad in Baltimore if Ted buys this joint.
— Steve Martin
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#15 » by LyricalRico » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:24 pm

Halcyon wrote:

Well the biggest thing he did imo was to be truly honest with the fans. After his debacle with Jagr, and various FA acquisitions that didn't work out (which you reference), they told the fans that they would suck for a few years, but would rebuild the "right" way. Granted he lucked into getting a HOF player like Ovie, but the team is filled with young talent which will keep this team very competitive for years to come.

Maybe comparing him to Snyder wasn't the right analogy because Ted doesn't meddle. He seems to let the hockey people make the hockey decisions.

At any rate, he doesn't strike me as a guy afraid to shake things up or go in a new direction. So I definitely don't expect the status quo if Ted does actually take over.
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#16 » by dandridge 10 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:26 pm

Actually, according to law, unless his will expressed something differently, his ownership of the Wizards would pass to his wife, who is still alive. I saw an interview with Ms. Pollin a few weeks ago, when she was asked whether she would run the ship if and when Abe passed away. I thought it was a pretty direct and somewhat insensitive questions. However, she handled it with grace and said she didn't know and that she would make that decision when the time came. Right now, I think it is her call on whether to sell the team.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#17 » by fishercob » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:27 pm

dandridge 10 wrote:Actually, according to law, unless his will expressed something differently, his ownership of the Wizards would pass to his wife, who is still alive. I saw an interview with Ms. Pollin a few weeks ago, when she was asked whether she would run the ship if and when Abe passed away. I thought it was a pretty direct and somewhat insensitive questions. However, she handled it with grace and said she didn't know and that she would make that decision when the time came. Right now, I think it is her call on whether to sell the team.

Thanks counselor :wink:
— Steve Martin
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#18 » by dandridge 10 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:31 pm

fishercob wrote:
dandridge 10 wrote:Actually, according to law, unless his will expressed something differently, his ownership of the Wizards would pass to his wife, who is still alive. I saw an interview with Ms. Pollin a few weeks ago, when she was asked whether she would run the ship if and when Abe passed away. I thought it was a pretty direct and somewhat insensitive questions. However, she handled it with grace and said she didn't know and that she would make that decision when the time came. Right now, I think it is her call on whether to sell the team.

Your are welcome. Where do I send the bill to? :D
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#19 » by miller31time » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:38 pm

Yeah, I was also thinking that Mrs. Pollin might opt to keep the team. I'd much rather have Leonsis, though. If for no other reason than what fishercob mentioned - the change of culture.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#20 » by fishercob » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:40 pm

dandridge 10 wrote:
fishercob wrote:

Your are welcome. Where do I send the bill to? :D

send it to wes_tiny_abe
— Steve Martin

Return to Washington Wizards