ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards vs. Raptors (Tuesday, December 1)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

gowiz999
Veteran
And1: 0

Re: Wizards vs. Raptors (Tuesday, December 1) 

Post#81 » by gowiz999 » Wed Dec 2, 2009 2:28 am

at least AB nailed his FTs. good job
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#82 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Wed Dec 2, 2009 2:30 am

nate33 wrote: (One caveat: Bargnani is a terrible rebounder and Haywood is the best offensive rebounder in the NBA. Haywood might have a field day on the offensive glass.)

Props on this seeming afterthought. Right on the money, concerning our bigs on the glass.
GilArenas88
Sixth Man

Post#83 » by GilArenas88 » Wed Dec 2, 2009 2:31 am

Good **** Blatche!
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#84 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Wed Dec 2, 2009 2:34 am

Atta'boy Turk, way to ice Boykins on those freebies :roll:
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#85 » by 80sballboy » Wed Dec 2, 2009 2:35 am

How do you explain this team? Give Flip some credit on adjusting the lineups at the end. Playing D-Mac, no D-Brick again. We make FTs and we win this in double digits. Good win.
gowiz999
Veteran

Post#86 » by gowiz999 » Wed Dec 2, 2009 2:35 am

good win. No let down tomorrow night like last week.
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#87 » by DaRealHibachi » Wed Dec 2, 2009 2:39 am

Great win...

Haywood is the most UNDERRATED center in the NBA, by far... He shut Bosh down down the stretch... Gil @ the 2 makes his life that much easier... Flip also with the great suns at the end...

Great win, great win...
:beer: Magnumt
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#88 » by closg00 » Wed Dec 2, 2009 2:40 am

Wow, two teams that on-paper were supposed to much, much better. We are bad, but Toronto is worse surprisingly. This soft Raps team also out-rebounded us 50-43.
GilArenas88
Sixth Man

Post#89 » by GilArenas88 » Wed Dec 2, 2009 2:41 am

I hate listening to Chris Miller and Ron Thompson, they know zero about bball, just were handed jobs.
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#90 » by yungal07 » Wed Dec 2, 2009 2:42 am

closg00 wrote:Wow, two teams that on-paper were supposed to much, much better. We are bad, but Toronto is worse surprisingly. This soft Raps team also out-rebounded us 50-43.

And not surprisingly, here you come with your usual bitching and whining after a win.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#91 » by Hoopalotta » Wed Dec 2, 2009 2:47 am

Thoughts on the game:

Jay Triano has wonderful unintentional comic sense. I love when they cut to him after something is going wrong for the Ratpors; he just looks hilarious. He could have easily been cast as the 'Evil' principal in 'Ferris Beullers Day Off” without the movie losing anything.

It's hard to root for Butler at this point, even when he does something good. He's just rubbing me the wrong way with the decisions he's making offensively combined with the look on his face. I'm just not feeling him these days. Even when it goes in I cringe. I suppose he was always a bit of a street baller, but that was easier to deal with when he was passing. I mean, he was a glue guy! I think he really needs a change of scenery; he's not having any fun out there.

I loved how Gil played tonight. I know a lot of people are down on him, but he really fought through it all tonight and did what he can do. Very, very easy to build some confidence off a showing like that. I think a few days off had his body feeling better and then he really fought through any 'negative waves, man' with a commitment to attack mode. Sure people would like to see more drives, but these are the nascent embers of excellence blazing deep in the ash of the Hibachi right here.

Though this was a veteran win, the young guys had some involvement, if even just in the first half. McGee and Blatche are making me feel a certain comfort level going forward.

The Woodsman was awesome. I mean, he was a disaster from the line and the matchup against Bosh was tough at times in defense against the face up game. But co me on, the man was a rock for us. On both ends really too, because he was a killer garbage man down low on catching and dunking or on the O-glass. He was just really locked in with laser focus and made some great heady plays from the 1st to the 4th.

Despite my misgivings on Butler, basically, I guess this was our first 'Big Three' win of the season. Kind of odd to see if finally happen.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#92 » by Halcyon » Wed Dec 2, 2009 2:48 am

I caught glimpses of the game, wasn't always pretty but I'll take the W.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#93 » by Rafael122 » Wed Dec 2, 2009 2:48 am

GilArenas88 wrote:I hate listening to Chris Miller and Ron Thompson, they know zero about bball, just were handed jobs.

I have an utter dislike for Miller. Everything is either the greatest thing ever, or the worse thing that would ever happen.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#94 » by nate33 » Wed Dec 2, 2009 2:52 am

This was a very good win. Basically, we destroyed Toronto except we missed a ridiculous number of free throws. If the Wizards hit 78% of their free throws and don't let Turk hit that meaningless 3, they would have won by 12.

Obviously, Haywood and Jamison were huge, but I'm even more happy that Butler and Arenas both broke out of their funk. Butler finished with 19 and 7 with a TS% north of 65% while shutting down Turkaglu (3-11, 4 turnovers). Arenas had 9 assists to 1 turnover, but then looked like the Arenas of old, scoring 12 points in the 4th quarter.

Young didn't get many shots, but he looked pretty good out there too. His defense was solid again. DeRozan had just 2 points and Belinelli had 5 (at least 3 of which happened when Young was sitting).

The only guy who really didn't play well was Blatche, but at least he hit the clutch free throws down the stretch.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#95 » by nate33 » Wed Dec 2, 2009 2:59 am

Haywood utterly owned Bosh.

Bosh's numbers with Haywood off the court:
FG: 2/4
FT: 4/4
TO: 0

Bosh's numbers with Haywood on the court:
FG: 5/18
FT: 4/5
TO: 3
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#96 » by Hoopalotta » Wed Dec 2, 2009 3:00 am

nate33 wrote:This was a very good win. Basically, we destroyed Toronto except we missed a ridiculous number of free throws. If the Wizards hit 78% of their free throws and don't let Turk hit that meaningless 3, they would have won by 12.

Obviously, Haywood and Jamison were huge, but I'm even more happy that Butler and Arenas both broke out of their funk. Butler finished with 19 and 7 with a TS% north of 65% while shutting down Turkaglu (3-11, 4 turnovers). Arenas had 9 assists to 1 turnover, but then looked like the Arenas of old, scoring 12 points in the 4th quarter.

Young didn't get many shots, but he looked pretty good out there too. His defense was solid again. DeRozan had just 2 points and Belinelli had 5 (at least 3 of which happened when Young was sitting).

The only guy who really didn't play well was Blatche, but at least he hit the clutch free throws down the stretch.

You know, it was weird, but this was about the first game ever where Young just kind of blended in. He's usually such a love-hate kind of guy, but it seems that here he was just focused on doing what the coaching staff told him and eased back on his hero-work. His Man-D, especially on the ball, is looking pretty good. He doesn't look like a guy in danger of playing in Helsinki next year.

As to Butler, the numbers are OK, but it really just feels off. It's like him against the world. Though yes, it's true, he's been good on the glass and D-ing up.

For Blatche, I thought he brought good energy early, so nothing to really be alarmed about I'd say. Though I hated that O-board he gave up off the free throw (I was worried when Flip subbed out Wood).
no D in Hibachi
Veteran

Post#97 » by no D in Hibachi » Wed Dec 2, 2009 3:00 am

GilArenas88 wrote:I hate listening to Chris Miller and Ron Thompson, they know zero about bball, just were handed jobs.

Truer words have never been spoken. Ron Thompson is such a tool.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#98 » by fishercob » Wed Dec 2, 2009 3:03 am

I watched big chunks of the game with the sound off (@ the gym and Mrs. Fish was on the phone at home). I recommend the experience sometime; it's really a different perspective.

Very satisfying W. Brendan Haywood is a really effing good basketball player. He's one of the single best offensive rebounders in the entire league right now and played very consistent and clutch D from what I saw. We gotta re-sign this cat.

Really liked the 4Q minutes from DomDom (re-infororces my feeling that with Miller, Jamison and Dmac we're FINE at the 3, thank you very much, but that's for another thread). He was active and smart when he was out there.

LOVED that Flip was going offense-defense at the end. It's like he wasn't sick that day in coaching school. Paid huge dividends when Dray hit those FT's for Brendan. That's team ball -- picking up your mates when they're struggling.

Jamison was typically awesome with his "empty stats" (30 and 12 I think? haven't checked a box score yet), putting all sorts of pressure on that D.

I thought overall the D was very strong against a team that was 3rd in the league in offensive efficiency coming tonight.

Don't look now, but we've won 3 of 4. Big one tomorrow night. ...
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#99 » by nate33 » Wed Dec 2, 2009 3:05 am

fishercob wrote:LOVED that Flip was going offense-defense at the end. It's like he wasn't sick that day in coaching school. Paid huge dividends when Dray hit those FT's for Brendan. That's team ball -- picking up your mates when they're struggling.

:lol:
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#100 » by fishercob » Wed Dec 2, 2009 3:09 am

Hoopalotta wrote:
nate33 wrote:This was a very good win. Basically, we destroyed Toronto except we missed a ridiculous number of free throws. If the Wizards hit 78% of their free throws and don't let Turk hit that meaningless 3, they would have won by 12.

You know, it was weird, but this was about the first game ever where Young just kind of blended in. He's usually such a love-hate kind of guy, but it seems that here he was just focused on doing what the coaching staff told him and eased back on his hero-work. His Man-D, especially on the ball, is looking pretty good. He doesn't look like a guy in danger of playing in Helsinki next year.

As to Butler, the numbers are OK, but it really just feels off. It's like him against the world. Though yes, it's true, he's been good on the glass and D-ing up.

For Blatche, I thought he brought good energy early, so nothing to really be alarmed about I'd say. Though I hated that O-board he gave up off the free throw (I was worried when Flip subbed out Wood).

Absolutely. I noticed that too. It seems like the lines are starting to blur between the "big 3," "starters," "young'ns", "vets," etc. In that sense maybe CB and Gil's struggles actually have a silver lining. If Nicks' just another guy on the team and not "the designated bench scorer" or whatever. This is a good thing.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin

Return to Washington Wizards