ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards vs. Bucks (Wednesday, December 2nd)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: Wizards vs. Bucks (Wednesday, December 2nd) 

Post#121 » by fishercob » Thu Dec 3, 2009 3:19 am

Just got home from the game. So happy. 4 of 5. Keep it up!
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#122 » by LyricalRico » Thu Dec 3, 2009 3:24 am

fishercob wrote:Just got home from the game. So happy. 4 of 5. Keep it up!

And this being done sans Miller makes it even better. As soon as he's healthy he becomes our 6th man off the bench, limiting Foye's minutes and making DeBrick completely disappear from the rotation. Miller can even take some of Butler's minutes. That probably gets our offense on track to match our defense.
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#123 » by dandridge 10 » Thu Dec 3, 2009 3:51 am

Just got home from the game too. I'm estatic about the win. I'm also happy that Arenas, Jamison and to a certain degree Butler seem to be getting in a better groove, NY and Blatche are playing well, and Haywood is just dominating on defense. However, at the rist of sounding like a negative ninny, I feel like we were a little fortunate to win tonight. Honestly, I love Earl for what he has done so far, but I also have a feeling he is fools gold to a certain extent. I actually thought the last two offensive possessions were horrible. The first was basically Earl pounding the ball for almost the entire shot clock before he found Haywood going to the basket. Had the Bucks not had that mental break-down on defense, we all would have said that was a horrible possession. Also, as much as I like the spark that Boykins provides on offense, I don't want to see him winding down the clock to take our last shot. Had he been guarded by someone other than a rook, it probably would have been a wasted possession. Basically, Jennings bailed Earl out. Overall, I felt that the Bucks kind of lost that game instead of us winning it. But, hey, a win is a win. :D
TheBigThree
Starter
And1: 124

Post#124 » by TheBigThree » Thu Dec 3, 2009 3:52 am

I just don't see Miller coming off the bench if he's healthy. I wouldn't mind him supplanting some of Caron's minutes and being played with NY though.

Anyway, sloppy win, but a good win. Hopefully we shore up the dumb mistakes. Love me some Boykins.
20MexicanosIn1Van
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#125 » by 20MexicanosIn1Van » Thu Dec 3, 2009 3:53 am

LyricalRico wrote:

And this being done sans Miller makes it even better. As soon as he's healthy he becomes our 6th man off the bench, limiting Foye's minutes and making DeBrick completely disappear from the rotation. Miller can even take some of Butler's minutes. That probably gets our offense on track to match our defense.

I was just about to post that Mike Miller should be starting when he returns but then got to thinking that Miller as a 6th man and Nick as a started would be much more balanced. Given Flip's tighter and different rotation as of late, I could see him running something like this:

Arenas/Boykins
Young/Miller
Butler/Miller
Jamison/Blatche
Haywood/Blatche

Situational Minutes: McGee, McGuire, Stevenson

That's a solid 8 man rotation. I also really like the balance in the second and first units. Offensive facilitators in the second unit, along with good scorers in the first unit, could help revive our offense.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#126 » by pancakes3 » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:04 am

it'd be interesting to see how flip works MM back. i think 6th man is the way to go. with the renaissance of nick young, you don't mess with that chemistry. however, i do think MM is going to phase boykins out of the end-of-game situations.

i agree with dandridge that jennings bailed us out with that foul. i would say it's a rookie mistake but boykins gets a lot of guys with that pump fake. on paper, he shouldn't be out there, or be playing basketball in general. however it's hard to argue against results - he's helping us win. he'll probably play based on matchups in a game-to-game basis.
Bullets -> Wizards
jimij
Analyst
And1: 18

Post#127 » by jimij » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:09 am

dandridge 10 wrote:Just got home from the game too. I'm estatic about the win. I'm also happy that Arenas, Jamison and to a certain degree Butler seem to be getting in a better groove, NY and Blatche are playing well, and Haywood is just dominating on defense. However, at the rist of sounding like a negative ninny, I feel like we were a little fortunate to win tonight. Honestly, I love Earl for what he has done so far, but I also have a feeling he is fools gold to a certain extent. I actually thought the last two offensive possessions were horrible. The first was basically Earl pounding the ball for almost the entire shot clock before he found Haywood going to the basket. Had the Bucks not had that mental break-down on defense, we all would have said that was a horrible possession. Also, as much as I like the spark that Boykins provides on offense, I don't want to see him winding down the clock to take our last shot. Had he been guarded by someone other than a rook, it probably would have been a wasted possession. Basically, Jennings bailed Earl out. Overall, I felt that the Bucks kind of lost that game instead of us winning it. But, hey, a win is a win. :D

Couldn't agree more about Earl. It worked out great but we got VERY luck those last couple of plays worked. For all he brings to the table, he's horrible on defense and I hope we don't try to rely on him for the long term. Once MM gets back, I want to see him closing the games with the Big Three and either Wood or 7DD.
20MexicanosIn1Van
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#128 » by 20MexicanosIn1Van » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:09 am

pancakes3 wrote:it'd be interesting to see how flip works MM back. i think 6th man is the way to go. with the renaissance of nick young, you don't mess with that chemistry. however, i do think MM is going to phase boykins out of the end-of-game situations.

i agree with dandridge that jennings bailed us out with that foul. i would say it's a rookie mistake but boykins gets a lot of guys with that pump fake. on paper, he shouldn't be out there, or be playing basketball in general. however it's hard to argue against results - he's helping us win. he'll probably play based on matchups in a game-to-game basis.

Good point, he really does get a lot of guys with that. I think it's because people are so anxious to block the sh*t outta the lil fella.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#129 » by dobrojim » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:17 am

REDardWIZskin wrote:an efficient N1 could it be... oh yea 8-)

this is the guy I envisioned when I predicted he would be the starter.

Creates a delicious problem for Flip when MM gets back. Also it
takes the pressure off MM to come back too early, as long as
we keep winning. Since N1 became the starter, our record is
PHL -W
MIA - W
CHA - L
TOR - W
MIL - W

if u like results, you should be pretty happy with that
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#130 » by dobrojim » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:18 am

ErikChowbay023 wrote:great win...great earl...I am shaking right now...we should have blown them out...are free throw shooting is very poor...

Everybody played pretty well...Defense..was not that good..they missed more easy shots than they made...then only shot 44 percent and we shot at 54 percent..but they hit 9 threes to our 3...so that kept them in the game... Caron played better..Gilbert is looking a lot more confident...

well thats 4 wins out of the last 5 ...Lets keep it rolling...

Caron with a seriously nasty dunk on Bogut, posterized the 7 fter

dobrojim
RealGM

Post#131 » by dobrojim » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:21 am

yungal07 wrote:Nick "Quiet Ninja" Young was the silent hero tonight. 21 points, 5 boards, good defense, and he scored in the flow.

and iirc, he shot > .500 (7-12)

dobrojim
RealGM

Post#132 » by dobrojim » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:23 am

nate33 wrote:I like that we're winning even though our offense is clicking well at all. If we can tighten up the offense and quit with the silly turnovers, we'll be in good shape.

I think you meant isn't...

While part of me wants to agree with you, I'll note that we
scored over 100 and had GREAT balanced scoring. And shot 54% freakin
percent. The league's in trouble if this is us on an off night.

dobrojim
RealGM

Post#133 » by dobrojim » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:24 am

hey fish, next time you go to a game, come on by 107 and meet me and 'proof

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#134 » by nate33 » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:27 am

dobrojim wrote:
nate33 wrote:I like that we're winning even though our offense is clicking well at all. If we can tighten up the offense and quit with the silly turnovers, we'll be in good shape.

percent. The league's in trouble if this us on an off night.

Yes. Isn't

We're shooting well, but we're still sloppy with the turnovers. Play like that but with 12 turnovers instead of 17, and we win easily
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#135 » by dobrojim » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:28 am

dandridge 10 wrote:Just got home from the game too. I'm estatic about the win. I'm also happy that Arenas, Jamison and to a certain degree Butler seem to be getting in a better groove, NY and Blatche are playing well, and Haywood is just dominating on defense. However, at the rist of sounding like a negative ninny, I feel like we were a little fortunate to win tonight. Honestly, I love Earl for what he has done so far, but I also have a feeling he is fools gold to a certain extent. I actually thought the last two offensive possessions were horrible. The first was basically Earl pounding the ball for almost the entire shot clock before he found Haywood going to the basket. Had the Bucks not had that mental break-down on defense, we all would have said that was a horrible possession. Also, as much as I like the spark that Boykins provides on offense, I don't want to see him winding down the clock to take our last shot. Had he been guarded by someone other than a rook, it probably would have been a wasted possession. Basically, Jennings bailed Earl out. Overall, I felt that the Bucks kind of lost that game instead of us winning it. But, hey, a win is a win. :D

fair points, but it's also true that Earl is among the league leaders in 4thQ scoring.
Crazy stat that maybe we shouldn't put much faith in but there it is.

I did say the same thing about Earl after the first game, fool's gold.
Now I feel like it's all in how Flip uses him. As the league adapts to
what he's doing for us, and it likely will, Flip will need to adjust as well.
By then maybe Gil will be closer to Mr 111. That's the optimist in me talking.

dobrojim
RealGM

Post#136 » by dobrojim » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:30 am

TheBigThree wrote:I just don't see Miller coming off the bench if he's healthy. I wouldn't mind him supplanting some of Caron's minutes and being played with NY though.

Anyway, sloppy win, but a good win. Hopefully we shore up the dumb mistakes. Love me some Boykins.

I dunno. MM is a former 6MOY. Of course so is AJ. Hey, imagine if
we started 7DD and N1 and brought both former 6MOYs off the bench.

dobrojim
RealGM

Post#137 » by dobrojim » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:33 am

jimij wrote:Couldn't agree more about Earl. It worked out great but we got VERY luck those last couple of plays worked. For all he brings to the table, he's horrible on defense and I hope we don't try to rely on him for the long term. Once MM gets back, I want to see him closing the games with the Big Three and either Wood or 7DD.

depends on what the other team is trying to do and what their
personnel is. He can be potentially an effective disruptive force
defensively. Not saying that'll be true all the time, just sayin'

dobrojim
RealGM

Post#138 » by dobrojim » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:35 am

nate33 wrote:
dobrojim wrote:

percent. The league's in trouble if this us on an off night.

Yes. Isn't

We're shooting well, but we're still sloppy with the turnovers. Play like that but with 12 turnovers instead of 17, and we win easily

Yup TOs and less than stellar FT shooting are our weaknesses now.
Haywood has been a total stud. And with a choice of 7DD, JM or even
FO backing him up, our 'bigs' are getting it done.

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#139 » by nate33 » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:43 am

dobrojim wrote:
jimij wrote:Couldn't agree more about Earl. It worked out great but we got VERY luck those last couple of plays worked. For all he brings to the table, he's horrible on defense and I hope we don't try to rely on him for the long term. Once MM gets back, I want to see him closing the games with the Big Three and either Wood or 7DD.

depends on what the other team is trying to do and what their
personnel is. He can be potentially an effective disruptive force
defensively. Not saying that'll be true all the time, just sayin'

I agree with dobrojim. Boykins can be an effective defender at times. Obviously, his stature is a huge disadvantage and smart teams will game plan against him if he was a starter or major rotation player. But as a 15 mpg backup, he can really be disruptive to opposing ball handlers. He sure as hell is better than Arenas at defending the pick-and-roll.

For now, I'm content with Flip's strategy of using Boykins in the 4th. If all goes well, Arenas will continue to improve as a PG in Flip's system so that Boykins will no longer be necessary when the playoffs come around.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#140 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Thu Dec 3, 2009 4:53 am

earl the squirrel was money in the 4th

Loved the way CB played early, those dunks were nasty. I like to see gil shooting like this, even if they arent going in right now (the 3's) he has to just get that muscle memory going.

Return to Washington Wizards