Rest of the regular season
51%

Total votes: 74

AceDegenerate
Banned User
And1: 1

Re: Over-Under on Gilbert Arenas Suspension 

Post#41 » by AceDegenerate » Sun Jan 3, 2010 8:13 pm

I think the entire reaction to this situation has been unwarranted. I don't even comment here anymore, I'm only posting on the off chance that maybe Gilbert or somebody he knows is reading this and he can see that there is at least SOMEBODY out here supporting him. The fickle nature of you so-called Fans in general is absolutely pathetic, and represents just how insignificant your own lives must really be.
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#42 » by DaRealHibachi » Sun Jan 3, 2010 8:27 pm

Krizko Zero wrote:I think the entire reaction to this situation has been unwarranted. I don't even comment here anymore, I'm only posting on the off chance that maybe Gilbert or somebody he knows is reading this and he can see that there is at least SOMEBODY out here supporting him. The fickle nature of you so-called Fans in general is absolutely pathetic, and represents just how insignificant your own lives must really be.

+1

People always find someone to hate, whether it's Gil, Flip, Ernie, Abe or whomever... I mean, of course they have done some things we all can disagree with, but damn... They (like us) are just human...

The hate around these parts is ridiculous... :nonono:
:beer: Magnumt
GoneShammGone
Junior
And1: 168

Post#43 » by GoneShammGone » Sun Jan 3, 2010 9:20 pm

mohammed10 wrote:
nate, while that may be good PR for the WIz (and goodness knows we need some right now), can someone - anyone - please tell me why Arenas is still in uniform and not in jail.

Suppose this were a high school student rather than a privilidged NBA multimillionaire. What would happen to a disgruntled youth if they brought a gun into a classroom. They would be immediately arrested by the police and expelled by that school. No questions asked! Period!

Gilbert Arenas should be treated the same as anyone else. Let him have his day in court - not on it!!!

Yes, exactly. Good point. Because a "disgruntled youth" bringing a possibly loaded gun into a school classroom, and an NBA player storing unloaded guns in his locker and showing them to a teammate are exactly the same thing!

:roll:
shagadelic45
General Manager
And1: 85

Post#44 » by shagadelic45 » Mon Jan 4, 2010 1:00 am

playing in the NBA is a PRIVILEGE, not a right........not taking into account who this is or what team, IF, this happened in any way or form (no matter how much the spin it or change the facts or lie or cover up some portion of the truth) these guys need to be kicked out of the league. (Now I said, IF this is TRUTH)

They should be suspended immediately (and should have been) and then get their fair day in court.

as mentioned, if this was the average guy off the street, we would be in jail. if you brought guns into your job and brandished at a fellow emplyee, you would be fired and arrested. this is no different....
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#45 » by Hoopalotta » Mon Jan 4, 2010 1:53 am

First I'll say that I'm hardly an enthusiast of horrific punishments, bans or voids. I am still a Gil fan.

But the argument that the 'Average Joe', even under the gentlest 'goofing around' scenario discussed by Mike Jones, would be fired and probably arrested by this point is hard to argue with.

Worst Bullets/Wizards season ever?

Most disappointing team in the league? Check.
Franchise player possibly disenfranchised? Check
Owner dead? Check

Man. :(
AlohaWiz
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#46 » by AlohaWiz » Mon Jan 4, 2010 2:24 am

mohammed10 wrote:
nate33 wrote:
If management wants to void Gil's contract, the best thing they can do is give Gil every benefit of the doubt at this point. "Innocent until proven guilty" should be the mantra. Not only is it the right thing to do, but it'll appear as if they don't have a prearranged agenda to void Arenas' contract. It'll make it harder for the players union to play the "mean owner" card.

nate, while that may be good PR for the WIz (and goodness knows we need some right now), can someone - anyone - please tell me why Arenas is still in uniform and not in jail.
Suppose this were a high school student rather than a privilidged NBA multimillionaire. What would happen to a disgruntled youth if they brought a gun into a classroom. They would be immediately arrested by the police and expelled by that school. No questions asked! Period!

Gilbert Arenas should be treated the same as anyone else. Let him have his day in court - not on it!!!

As an attorney, I can tell you one of the first things you learn in law school is that ignorance of the law is no excuse. Whatever crimes Arenas committed, if any, should subject him to whatever penalty may apply (absent some sort of justification).

But to answer your question as concisely as possible: he's not in jail because no indictment has been made, no charges have been filed, no trial has been held (or plea entered), and there has been no conviction.

Before making a poll about what happens to Arenas based on nothing but speculation, I'd suggest you wait for the facts to come in.

My guess on the suspension would currently be zero games. When more information is known then I'll reevaluate my estimate.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#47 » by Dat2U » Mon Jan 4, 2010 2:26 am

Krizko Zero wrote:I think the entire reaction to this situation has been unwarranted. I don't even comment here anymore, I'm only posting on the off chance that maybe Gilbert or somebody he knows is reading this and he can see that there is at least SOMEBODY out here supporting him. The fickle nature of you so-called Fans in general is absolutely pathetic, and represents just how insignificant your own lives must really be.

I agree with you on this one. It was totally blown out of proportion. The Vescey/Yahoo articles did it and grabbed national attention. However reality is reality. Bro, this is just not a sports story, this is a news story with it getting significant run on the cable & major news networks.

People want folks held accountable. Stern may think its nothing. The DA may think its nothing. But believe you me, they will be forced to follow public opinion. And opinion is that Gil is a gun toting 'thug'/spoiled athlete. People want to see him go down. Hell, I think a majority of Wizards fans want to see the book thrown at him. Society loves to see a spoiled black athlete lose everything. Look how every one has come down on Tiger Woods. And all he did was do what more than 50% of what married folks do, cheat on their spouse. Woods entire legacy has been changed by this, he lost millions in endorsement deals and he didn't do anything legally wrong.

Sadly Gilbert Arenas is going to lose everything. He may be back in the NBA eventually, but he may very well likely spend some time in jail before then.

As for Stern, I think he either suspends him the remainder of the season or even worse, he'll suspend him indefinitely pending a legal outcome which could take months to years.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#48 » by TheSecretWeapon » Mon Jan 4, 2010 3:49 pm

Man folks like to take running leaps with so-called "facts" based on media reporting. We know that Arenas brought guns to the Verizon Center. Beyond that, we don't know anything. Reports conflict, which means that the media is reporting whatever someone is telling them, and their sources may not know what actually happened.

And consider that the source for the "they pulled guns on each other" story was Peter Vecsey.

If Gil did in fact pull a gun on Crittenton in a dispute, he should be prosecuted and punished, and the Wizards should void his contract. If.

If Arenas brought in unloaded guns (with no ammunition around) and showed them to Crittenton, and then the two compared their guns, then it's a much smaller deal. If he laid the guns out with a "Pick one" note as a joke, then it's smaller still. It may not be handled that way by Stern if he wants to set an example and scare players into being more careful with (or getting rid of) their guns.

Both he and Crittenton would have to deal with the DC police, but with good lawyering, they'd likely end up paying a fine and probably undergoing some gun safety counseling or something. They could face steep suspensions -- IF the league wants to make examples of them.

One thing about Mike Jones' story -- I'm not sure the team could void Arenas' contract if he's CHARGED with a felony. If he's convicted, yeah, but a charge is just a charge.

Regardless, Gil -- and frankly just about every professional athlete -- should just get rid of the guns. Whatever "protection" they think it's offering is far outweighed by the potential for trouble. Here's an idea for an NBA player to remain safe: DON'T GO TO DANGEROUS PLACES. Stay away from strip clubs and night clubs. Eat at the hotel or a well-lit restaurant in a safe neighborhood. Get in at a reasonable hour instead of staying out all night. Sure, they won't meet as many groupies, but then there'll be less risk of STDs and unwanted babies.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#49 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Jan 4, 2010 7:54 pm

TSW, I've been there and done all that.

Dangerous places, STDs, and baby momma drama. If I were a young player I'd be packing more than just my personal loaded weapon--if you know what I mean. Were I their age and with only their life experiences, I'd be straight up gangster, myself. These days I'm more interested in Jesus, church, bible study, FIDELITY, cleansing my own temple of lust, anger; and in forgiveness, kindness, etc. But when I was their age and beyond .... come on, man... I wanted to kick folks' asses when challenged and get some you know what when I needed it. Fortunately for me, I never had Gil's money or man I'd have had some DRAMA....

Chronologically, TSW, I don't think MOST pro athletes have lived that long to be as wise as you advise. Some are and some have just been raised better. But most have not.

Honestly, I think they just need to hire very good security and to have not only a wing man (young guy with common sense who has your back) but also an older mentor (old dog who's good people and also entertaining while being wise--maybe your uncle or an older cousin, or some guy your mom knew and trusted from way back in the day--a smooth player) in their corner. Somebody with a lot of experience who they'll heed on just about every public move they make could advise them on ways in, ways out, and can have an exit strategy should things go bad. Most of all, hired security needs to be disciplined and professional enough to not discharge a firearm unless justifiable and to properly assess risks ahead of time. Gil shouldn't be riding around cowboy style, IMO.

The guns in the lockerroom thing was just boneheaded. If the weapons were somewhere else or if his boys had them, all this could have been avoided.
Bye bye Beal.
Zerocious
Sixth Man

Post#50 » by Zerocious » Tue Jan 5, 2010 1:11 am

this all could end up being a huge publicity stunt for gilberts new season of pazo the prankster!! (or whatever the f that was called!)
AlohaWiz
Sophomore

Post#51 » by AlohaWiz » Tue Jan 5, 2010 8:34 am

Zerocious wrote:this all could end up being a huge publicity stunt for gilberts new season of pazo the prankster!! (or whatever the f that was called!)

Wasn't it Gazo the Gangzta? :lol:

Just kidding, it was Gazo (GA = Gilbert Arenas and ZO = Zero....his idea, not mine!) the Pranksta ;)
Too Late Crew
Head Coach
And1: 750

Post#52 » by Too Late Crew » Wed Jan 6, 2010 6:37 pm

AlohaWiz wrote:As an attorney, I can tell you one of the first things you learn in law school is that ignorance of the law is no excuse. Whatever crimes Arenas committed, if any, should subject him to whatever penalty may apply (absent some sort of justification).

But to answer your question as concisely as possible: he's not in jail because no indictment has been made, no charges have been filed, no trial has been held (or plea entered), and there has been no conviction.

Before making a poll about what happens to Arenas based on nothing but speculation, I'd suggest you wait for the facts to come in.

My guess on the suspension would currently be zero games. When more information is known then I'll reevaluate my estimate.

WHile I repect your opinion on the legal aspect I think that you are way off on assuming a 0 suspension. His suspension is not predicated on legal action. The NBA code of conduct section 9 clearly states that guns in NBA areans or on NBA business are prohibited. It further states that breaking it is subject to suspension the lenght of which is determined by Stern and can be indifinte.

Even if Gilbert is not charged and the DC Police give hima medal for bravery he's getting suspended becuase he broke the NBA rules. He agreed to it in his contract.

Gilbert coming out in the media and making light of breaking the NBA rules isn't going to help his case. He's going to be suspended for breaking the NBA rules you can book it. No way he avoids it.

Whether there is more suspension based on legal issues has yet to be determined.

BTW for any of those who want to let him use the "ignorance defense" he has previous gun charges in California. No one buys he doesn't know better than to check the laws. Stupidity isn't a defense.
rdtx2005
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#53 » by rdtx2005 » Wed Jan 6, 2010 8:52 pm

Arenas suspended indefinately

WojYahooNBA David Stern has suspended GIlbert Arenas indefinintely without pay. Calls him "unfit" to play in the NBA now.
half a minute ago from web
AlohaWiz
Sophomore

Post#54 » by AlohaWiz » Thu Jan 7, 2010 1:59 am

Too Late Crew wrote:
AlohaWiz wrote:As an attorney, I can tell you one of the first things you learn in law school is that ignorance of the law is no excuse. Whatever crimes Arenas committed, if any, should subject him to whatever penalty may apply (absent some sort of justification).

WHile I repect your opinion on the legal aspect I think that you are way off on assuming a 0 suspension. His suspension is not predicated on legal action. The NBA code of conduct section 9 clearly states that guns in NBA areans or on NBA business are prohibited. It further states that breaking it is subject to suspension the lenght of which is determined by Stern and can be indifinte.

Even if Gilbert is not charged and the DC Police give hima medal for bravery he's getting suspended becuase he broke the NBA rules. He agreed to it in his contract.

Gilbert coming out in the media and making light of breaking the NBA rules isn't going to help his case. He's going to be suspended for breaking the NBA rules you can book it. No way he avoids it.

Whether there is more suspension based on legal issues has yet to be determined.

BTW for any of those who want to let him use the "ignorance defense" he has previous gun charges in California. No one buys he doesn't know better than to check the laws. Stupidity isn't a defense.

My comment about zero games was just to say that at the time I didn't think there was enough information to make an estimate. Maybe Arenas had a plausible explanation. Maybe there was justification. Although in another thread I did say I thought he would get a lesser suspension than S. Jackson who fired a gun in public, so it looks like I will be way off (sigh...it was just wishful thinking anyway). But Arenas basically shot himself in the foot (with an unloaded gun at that) by shooting his mouth off since the story first came out. He never should have fired his agent.
Too Late Crew
Head Coach
And1: 750

Post#55 » by Too Late Crew » Thu Jan 7, 2010 2:31 pm

AlohaWiz wrote:
Too Late Crew wrote:

My comment about zero games was just to say that at the time I didn't think there was enough information to make an estimate. Maybe Arenas had a plausible explanation. Maybe there was justification. Although in another thread I did say I thought he would get a lesser suspension than S. Jackson who fired a gun in public, so it looks like I will be way off (sigh...it was just wishful thinking anyway). But Arenas basically shot himself in the foot (with an unloaded gun at that) by shooting his mouth off since the story first came out. He never should have fired his agent.

Not enough information?

Gilbert freely admited from the start "I had guns in the locker room" he never disputed it.
Guns in the arean is an automatic grounds for suspension.

There was no more information needed to detrmine he would be suspended.

As I said. Even if Areans had the best explanation in the world he broke the gun rule and would have been suspended. Just like aplayer who accidently take a banned substance gets suspended. There was never any chance that he go 0 games.
AlohaWiz
Sophomore

Post#56 » by AlohaWiz » Thu Jan 7, 2010 6:01 pm

At the time, sure, we knew that Arenas brought guns into the lockerroom. But what if he had filled a bucket with wet cement at his home and put the guns in the bucket. Then when the cement dried he took the bucket into the arena to give to security who would then take the guns to the police. Do you think he would deserve a suspension? I know it's farfetched, but with Gilbert Arenas *anything* is possible.

Besides the suspension paragraph you refer to (the penalty language is actually in paragraph 35(d) of the NBA Constitution) says the commissioner "shall have the power to suspend". It doesn't say that he "shall suspend". Stern doesn't have to suspend a player unless he thinks it's a suitable punishment. If there was some circumstance under which the guns were completely inoperable and could not be made to operate again, then I don't think Arenas would be suspended. And at the time the story broke we had very few details, which is why I decided to reserve judgment.
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,786

Post#57 » by contract » Fri Jan 8, 2010 12:28 am

Arenas will be lucky if his suspension isn't as long as what Artest got for the brawl at the Palace, especially considering his knucklehead behavior since the story first broke. In fact he will be lucky if he doesn't serve some time and have his entire contract voided.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:

Return to Washington Wizards