ImageImageImageImageImage

Gilbert Arenas v. the Washington Wizards

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Re: Gilbert Arenas v. the Washington Wizards 

Post#141 » by verbal8 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:58 pm

lucky777s wrote:What is the board's take on the latest revelation (at least it was to me) that Gil admitted lying about why he brought the guns to Verizon. He brought them the day of the incident for the sole purpose of putting them in front of Critt the day after the two men were huffin and puffin about shooting each other.

Do you think that makes it more likely he does some jail time and gets his contract voided?

IMO it does.

The original excuse seemed BS from beginning. I think that the dispute and/or prank does make it more serious. Especially combined with the threat to shoot Critt in the face, which is a lot more serious with an actual gun.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#142 » by TheSecretWeapon » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:00 pm

lucky777s wrote:What is the board's take on the latest revelation (at least it was to me) that Gil admitted lying about why he brought the guns to Verizon. He brought them the day of the incident for the sole purpose of putting them in front of Critt the day after the two men were huffin and puffin about shooting each other.

Do you think that makes it more likely he does some jail time and gets his contract voided?

IMO it does.

What Gil said to reporters has nothing to do with jail time. The judge will go by what he said to investigators. I haven't seen anything to indicate Gil lied to police or prosecutors.

I also don't think it'll have any bearing on whether or not the Wiz can void his contract. That seems more likely to come down to how much jail time he gets. If he gets 6 months and has to miss part of a season, then the Wiz will have a stronger case. If he gets probation or a minimal sentence that he can serve in the offseason, the Wiz will have a tougher time.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
lucky777s
Lead Assistant
And1: 686

Post#143 » by lucky777s » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:54 pm

I just did a search and could not find the article I read the other day (Sun/Mon). I thought it said he initially lied to investigators about when and why he brought the guns but I cannot be sure. I remember it being a Mike Jones or Mike Lee article or blog I found on google news that day.

But then he obviously told the truth later.

I don't think it changes the 1-2 year suspension Stern might hand out, but I do think it makes the whole incident more serious and more likely he gets at least some jail time (1-3 months) and his contract voided.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#144 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:52 am

TheSecretWeapon wrote:

IMO it does.

What Gil said to reporters has nothing to do with jail time. The judge will go by what he said to investigators. I haven't seen anything to indicate Gil lied to police or prosecutors.

I also don't think it'll have any bearing on whether or not the Wiz can void his contract. That seems more likely to come down to how much jail time he gets. If he gets 6 months and has to miss part of a season, then the Wiz will have a stronger case. If he gets probation or a minimal sentence that he can serve in the offseason, the Wiz will have a tougher time.

I've been thinking that exact same time frame being the critical point, TSW. The prosecution recommended the low-end of up to 6 months on what could be a 5-year sentence. Even a judge known to be lenient could think 6 months is appropriate. That would be very costly for Gil.

Low end of what I expect Gil to receive is 3 months in prison. High end--wouldn't shock me terribly badly if the judge considered him a repeat offender and gave him 9 months to 1 year.

If I were a judge, I'd consider his wealth and I'd make sure to make this an abject lesson for Gilbert. I'd give him the full 6 months more for throwing fuel on a bad situation with the teammate and using the gun to intimidate. (No way in hell he was merely joking, totally). I think it's no joking matter and there was more to it with him and Crittenton. I'd consider that Gil had too many weapons. He brought them in his workplace. He brought them illegally into DC. I don't care about his image or his good works--Gil would get 6 months from me. At least. That could put his money on the line big time.

(But then again, knowing that the Wizards basically turned him in by calling DC Metro when the guns were already back in Virginia, maybe I'd just give him a slap on the wrist. The Wiz basically ratted him out and he was foolish not to do like Crittenton. ... I dunno what I'd do.)

Hopefully, the lenient judge gives him 60 days or less. This with time already suspended by Stern could probably have Gil back in the league within 1 year of his suspension date, or January, 2011.
Bye bye Beal.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#145 » by hands11 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:24 am

I'll cast my vote with a women analogy.

Hopefully most people here have had a chance to date or go steady with a few hooties in their travels. A lady you most would call true talent but she was nutty. Actually most hotties are that way if you let them. Hell, even none hottie can get that way if you let them. Anyway, you probably got her to start with because you didn't let her yank your chain. But then somewhere along the way, you started to really like her more and more and you started to tolerate more and more of the nutty stuff. Once down this road, there is only more nutty stuff to follow. It's hard to recover from.

Get past the looks or in Gils case the talent. You can't tolerate nutty from a 28 year old, they should know better by that age. The best way to keep exceptional talent is to never tolerate nutty to begin with . Don't let people yank your chain. Gil is all about being nutty and yanking your chain. I understand his past and I do feel for him, but that is at a personal level. At a basketball level, you can't tolerate that. Specially when you signed them for 111M. Taking him back would only prove that you will tolerate more of the same. Hooties leave dudes like that or just abuse them. You know who they leave them for, that right, guys like you were when you meet them. Someone who they respect because they are confident enough to not let them abuse them.

Some times you just have to man up and say no and walk. Yes, even when they are a total hottie. That's usually when they start acting right and following you instead.

Has CB or AJ ever come close to the nutty that Gil has. No. You better off with the 8-9 solid women then the nutty 10.

Just my two sense. You want to total package. CB, AJ, MM type players. Haywood seem to fit that mold also.

Return to Washington Wizards