Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Re: 2010 FA Thread 

Post#21 » by likwitdesi » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:45 am

nate33 wrote:
likwitdesi wrote:Is Lee worth 10 mil a year? Hell yes

Perhaps he is, but only to the right team in the right situation. Lee is not a star, he is a high quality role player. He is the type of player that is good enough to keep us out of the top of the draft, but he isn't good enough to make the team a contender.

You also have to consider price. Lee is a real nice guy to have on a rookie contract. He'd be nice for the MLE too. But if he is paid $10M a year, you will notice a lot more flaws in his game.

I can live with the subpar defense from Lee. The elite rebounding skills, the elite passing skills for a big man, and the rapidly improving scoring ability (including his newfound ability from mid-range) are easily worth 10 mil, which is not even a top 30 salary. No doubt about it.

Would Lee be our franchise player? No. We would hopefully get Wall or Turner in the draft. If not those 2, you take someone like DeMarcus Cousins to give you potentially one of the best frontcourts in the game.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#22 » by Hoopalotta » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:09 pm

Should we have a need, the free agent power forward I'm most enthusiastic about is Amir Johnson. I'd go to 3 years for $9 Million.

Next in line, I like Lou Amundson for less than that.

That's where I'm at as far as free agency. Next summer the new CBA comes in and we most likely won't even be seeing deals like the ones about to get handed out this summer.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=15114
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#23 » by verbal8 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:46 pm

Hoopalotta wrote:Next in line, I like Lou Amundson for less than that.

I think Louis Amundson is what Oberto was supposed to be for the Wizards. Admunson has better stats except for FT shooting and assists(which are low for both).
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#24 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:54 pm

Another potential economic free agent to keep an eye on is Luis Scola. With Landry playing so well, Scola may be left out when it comes time to sign free agents.

Basically, I'd be keeping an eye out for good players with 2010 contracts who play on teams that need to dump salary to make a play in free agency. New York, Miami, Houston, and Chicago come to mind. The best free agent bargains will probably come from those teams. Guys like Scola, Haslem, J.O'Neal, Lowry, Harrington, and Tyrus Thomas might be available for just over the MLE. Hughes, Duhon, Brad Miller and Darko might be available for much less.

If we blow the team up and try to rebuild from the draft, those are the types of free agents I'd look to add as veteran mentors. (Well, except Tyrus Thomas who is basically a raw youngster himself.)
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#25 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:15 pm

We could certainly do a lot worse than the Houston duo of Lowry and Scola. Lowry could be the best bargain of the free agents - a great 25 minute a game player. I'd rather have him than Foye, and I think Foye will cost more.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by Hoopalotta » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:51 pm

Houston well might be pinched this summer. The other thing for them is that Brooks is finishing his third year, so you know he'll push for a contract discussion this summer rather than wait til the new CBA. I think it would be hard for them to dish out new deals to both their young point guards at once. You know they pick Brooks over Lowry and I think Brooks and his agent might be a bit piddled-off if they make him take a deal under the next CBA.

While they've both been able to find room thus far, a certain 'spread your wings, little bird' dynamic will be pushing Lowry to want out (I think), and he'd likely love coming to a situation like here with a (presumably) wide open point guard rotation and a scheme that puts the ball in his hands a lot. All he needs to do is perfect that three ball and he's complete. Wildly scrappy, 'right way' dude.

So, I'd love to get him here and I think he and Foye could fit into a rotation nicely. I think both guys will be at reasonable deals. We'll have to see how things play out with Foye's season, but I'd consider both he and Lowry at up to $5 Million a year on four or five year deals (I'd prefer 4 on Foye and 5 on Lowry).

Scola's a little older than I would have in mind and likely will fetch at least $5 Million a y ear. If the musical chairs of summer spending see him still unseated late and he'd do 2 years @$10 Million (total), I'd think about it, especially if I thought we'd be so bad as to challenge the 2010 Nets win mark.

I like Amir Johnson though (who's a lot bigger than the 210 pounds that ESPN lists him as); he really hustles and hits the glass; can't shoot, but you have to guard him around the basket; long enough to play center in spots @ 10-12 minutes a game. And he's still young enough to have upside.

Amundson is pretty athletic, lively and smart; he's obviously benefited from playing with Nash for a few years and has good understanding of spacing and angles offensively as a cutter, even if he's not a skilled guy. Though no Hercules, he shows good awareness and rotations defensively. I'd see two years @ $4-6 Million.

And I'm still holding out Sergio Rodriguez as a good backup point for us.

"Hey Big spnder!", right? 8-)
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by Hoopalotta » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:29 pm

Here's another nice article on the impending CBA.....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... ?eref=sihp
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#28 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:47 pm

Hoopalotta wrote:Here's another nice article on the impending CBA.....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... ?eref=sihp

:o

DUMP JAMISON NOW!
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#29 » by likwitdesi » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:25 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_d ... nba,216312

But, somehow, Lee is a "system guy." Only gets his stats due to that fast pace. That eighth-ranked pace.
You're used to this, NYC. You might have the world's biggest persecution complex, but guess what? So do the world's biggest religions. And with Lee? Well, you're used to him getting screwed over. This is nothing new. This is nothing you're not used to.

Misconceptions debunked

Return to Washington Wizards