Oregon State Fires Jay John!

Moderator: bwgood77

KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Oregon State Fires Jay John! 

Post#1 » by KingInExile » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:59 pm

CORVALLIS, Ore. (AP) -- Oregon State fired basketball coach Jay John, whose team is 6-12 this season and winless in the Pac-10. Attendance is reaching record lows at Gill Coliseum and the school has had only one winning season since 1989-90.

Assistant Kevin Mouton will temporarily run the team after the rare midseason coaching change, which was announced Sunday night by athletic director Bob De Carolis. De Carolis did not rule out Mouton as a permanent replacement.

John, in his sixth season, received a five-year contract extension in 2005. Oregon State owes him about $1.1 million.

"Sometimes things just don't work out and that's the case here," De Carolis said. "We needed to move on. I think the weight of some of the speculation of whether it was going to happen, when it was going to happen, started weighing heavily on John and his family."

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt ... &type=lgns

All I have to say is ABOUT DAMN TIME! Jay John has done nothing but chase away decent players for the last couple of years while dragging the program into a position of laughing stock of the Pac-10. He should have been fired last year.

Hopefully OSU can find a real coach who can rebuild the program back to a respectable contender again.
This space needs to be filled with a new sig...but I'm too lazy to make one.

Return to NCAA Basketball