EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,238

Re: EvanZ's 2021 Big Board 

Post#21 » by EvanZ » Thu Jul 1, 2021 11:37 pm

Hal14 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Update

Read on Twitter

Overall it looks solid. Curious though why Julian Champagnie so high?

Also, any reason for Santi Aldama, Vrenz Bleijenbergh and Trendon Watford being omitted? I feel like they could be 2nd round steals..

Good to see I'm not the only one with Wieskamp over Kispert. I feel like they're pretty close, but Wieskamp with longer wingspan, more athleticism and 1 year younger to me puts him just ahead of Kispert - looks like you agree.. But still it's crazy that some have Kispert as high as 12 and Wieskamp as low as 62..

Julian Champagnies looks to me like a super elite 6'8" shooter who is the same age as a lot of top ranked Freshman in this class.

The trio of guys you mentioned next just don't seem super interesting to me. Trendon Watford in particular is extremely unathletic, and not an efficient shooter. He's like a bad version of Carmelo. I can see how people convince themselves on him, because he's big and can dribble, but I just can't get there. Vrenz honestly just haven't been paying much attention, and he seems to be riding on the Poku hype from last year. Aldama is kind of interesting if you squint hard. Just not sure I buy it.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,304

Post#22 » by Hal14 » Sat Jul 3, 2021 11:40 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Update

Read on Twitter

Overall it looks solid. Curious though why Julian Champagnie so high?

Also, any reason for Santi Aldama, Vrenz Bleijenbergh and Trendon Watford being omitted? I feel like they could be 2nd round steals..

Good to see I'm not the only one with Wieskamp over Kispert. I feel like they're pretty close, but Wieskamp with longer wingspan, more athleticism and 1 year younger to me puts him just ahead of Kispert - looks like you agree.. But still it's crazy that some have Kispert as high as 12 and Wieskamp as low as 62..

Julian Champagnies looks to me like a super elite 6'8" shooter who is the same age as a lot of top ranked Freshman in this class.

The trio of guys you mentioned next just don't seem super interesting to me. Trendon Watford in particular is extremely unathletic, and not an efficient shooter. He's like a bad version of Carmelo. I can see how people convince themselves on him, because he's big and can dribble, but I just can't get there. Vrenz honestly just haven't been paying much attention, and he seems to be riding on the Poku hype from last year. Aldama is kind of interesting if you squint hard. Just not sure I buy it.

Champagnie - I've been checking out more of his vids and scouting reports last couple of days and I think you're spot on with him. He is super underrated and could be a 2nd round steal. I just moved him up on my big board too.

Watford...Carmelo is a hall of famer and top 10 scorer in NBA history, so if Watfork is like him but just a lesser version of him then he could be a 2nd round steal. He's not super athletic but he is crafty with the ball, uses deceptve quickness to get by people off the dribble, has a killer europ-step move and all kinds of moves in the paint with up fakes and other stuff to get buckets down low, and also good at drawing fouls. His shot form is pretty good - was a super high rated recruit out of high school and put up good numbers his first 2 yrs at LSU so I am buying that his shot will get even better, as he's just 20 yrs old now. What makes Watford special is his ability to shoot (does need improvement there but he can shoot it), score in mid range and at the rim PLUS he's an excellent passer, facilitator, rebound and run type guy who can lead the break and act as a point forward pretty well. Needs to work on his defense but isn't terrible on that end - played decent D at the combine. I wouldn't take him 1st round but I think he's a guy with good upside as only a 20 yr old kid with good size at 6'9" and a strong frame at 240 lbs so can bang around a little bit inside, muscle people - the type who can go down low and abuse smaller defenders and out-quick bigger defenders. He could be a guy in the NBA who could eventually start for someone at the 4 and put up 15-16 points, 7-8 rebounds and 5-6 assists with decent defense. So I think he's worth someone giving him a shot in the 2nd round.

Vrenz - I can see the Poko comparison, but I think Vrenz is a little stronger, more coordinated, more athletic . Poko is starting for OKC (yes a very bad team but he's going to be a solid NBA player) and so if he's similar to Poku, then Vrenz could be worth a late 1st round
/ early 2nd round pick.

Aldama - I know it's a little hard to judge him because of the weaker competition he is facing but I am seeing a guy who's 6'11" (reports are that he's actually now 7'0" with 7'2" wingspan) and for a guy his size moves very well, very agile and very skilled shot 37% from 3, has shown ability to hit 3's off the catch or off the dribble, even step-back 3's with a hand right in his face, makes some smooth/skilled dribble drive moves with athletic finishes, can rebound, block shots and is a very good passer. Would have been interesting if he went to the combine to see how he does against better competition, cause I'm seeing a guy with his size and skill set could definitely be worthy of taking in the 1st round. Since he's being projected late 2nd round, I think he could be a major steal.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#23 » by EvanZ » Thu Jul 8, 2021 5:31 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#24 » by EvanZ » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:42 pm

Read on Twitter
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,332

Post#25 » by SNPA » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:55 pm

No Vrenz?

Bouknight a little low.

I agree on Springer being high.

I have Green over Suggs.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#26 » by EvanZ » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:03 pm

Vrenz seems like a completely manufactured prospect hype to me. Maybe I'll throw him in there somewhere but I just doubt he's ever a guy.

Re: Bouknight it's ironic that I have become the low guy on him lol. I started the Bouknight thread here last year and thought he should have come out as a Freshman. So it goes!
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,275

Post#27 » by clyde21 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:04 pm

not bad, this is probably the most aligned we've been on the lotto for the most part (too high on Ziaire, too low on JJ)...not sure if that's a good or bad thing we'll see.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#28 » by EvanZ » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:01 pm

Final board

Read on Twitter

Return to Mock Drafts