King Ken's Big Board 2024 (All-Star Break)

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

King Ken's Big Board 2024 (All-Star Break) 

Post#1 » by King Ken » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:20 am

KK's Big Board:

Update: 2/18/2024

Big Board v1.0

Positions: https://www.sportstalk2319.com/positiondictionary

My 1st round grades:

Stats: 36/MPG

Tier 3.5 - Decent Role player potential with All-Star possibilities down the road.

1t. Zaccharie Risacher
SF | JL Bourg 6'10"204 lbs 18.9 yrs 17.9 PTS 5.5 REB 1.7 AST 0.6 BLK 1.5 ST

I am a massive fan of his defense but his offense translates as movement & D which is what I like most. I prefer movement with 3&D over 3&D. These types are extremely hard to find. He doesn’t have much self-creation but he can move exceptionally well off the ball.

My player comp is Klay Thompson with not as much shooting potential or offensive skill but Jaden McDaniels like on D. Someone mentioned Davis Bertans on offense and that’s not bad but he’s a better finisher and more athletic offensively. He’s a modern stud and I think he will be a top 3 pick in this draft.

Impact Stats grade:
Current: 20 wins
Future: 45 wins
Swing Skill: Shooting Proficiency

Reed Sheppard
PG/SG | Kentucky 6'3"187 lbsFreshman 19.6 yrs 15.8 PTS 5.5 REB 5.3 AST 1.1 BLK 3.2 STL
Was my top overall prospect but dropped due to him needing more time to adjust to the NBA. I still think he has the best clear upside in this class. Offensively, I compare him to Mark Price. Defensively, to John Stockton. Both comps will take time to develop and adjust to.

Impact Stats grade:
Current: 10 wins
Future: 50 wins
Swing Skill: Playmaking

Cody Williams
SF | Colorado 6'8" 185 lbs Freshman 19.2 yrs16.6 PTS 4.1 REB 2.2 AST 0.9 BLK 1.0 STL

Cody has a tremendous frame which could add 25-30 pounds. That said, Cody is far from NBA Ready right now. That said, he has a nice shot, really good scorer, decent passer, has good court vision, can dribble well without pressure, and doesn’t handle contact well but he has a great frame. He’s going to take time but if there is an all-star that would fit anywhere, Cody is the kid to select. Rebounding is a concern, the biggest issue with Cody is that De’Andre Hunter is a realistic medium outcome and that might scare some people but I believe his ability to score when he gets his size will be superior to Dre’s.

Future: 45 wins
Swing Skill: Strength

Tier 4 - Tier 4: Decent Role player potential or raw with AS possibilities.

High End

3t. Nikola Topić
PG | Red Star 6'6" 201 lbs International 18.5 yrs 19.1 PTS 4.2 REB 7.1 AST 0.2 BLK 1.1 STL
Topic is the taller rich man’s Goran Dragic. Can run an offense. Good nice skill. Terrific playmaker, I used to call Dragic, Dragic Johnson. For me, it’s the high-level scoring. I think he’s going to top out at a Mike Conley level which is amazing and I think he’s a top 5 pick but he’s not like a star and he will be a great role player.
Current: 15 wins
Future: 30 wins
Swing Skill: Range

Rob Dillingham
PG | Kentucky 6'3" 176 lbs Freshman 19.1 yrs 22.7 PTS 4.7 REB 6.2 AST 0.1 BLK 1.8 STL
Last year, Cason Wallace and Gradey Dick were my high-end 4th tier guys. This year, I think these two are better, the long term. Dillingham has gotten comps to Trae Young, Monta Ellis, and Darius Garland. I think he has a bit of all 3 in his game. A good player. I just don’t know if he’s great enough.

Dalton Knecht
SF | Tennessee 6'6" 213 lbs Senior 22.8 yrs 24.9 PTS 5.8 REB 2.3 AST 1.1 BLK 0.9 STL

The obvious comp is Thunder Dan Majerle. I recall using this comp for Donte DiVincenzo but offensively, Donte just wasn’t that good of a scorer. He can score but not like Dan and not like Dalton. It’s hard not to like this kid’s game that is more from the 90s but at the 2 spot, the 90s-style all-star SG works in this era maybe more than it did in the 90s.

I have a hard time seeing him get passed on after 3. Cody and Zac are guys that I find hard to pass on due to their long-term upside being at such a critical position but after that, this is still more eye of the beholder and it’s a lot harder for Topic to become a top 5 SG in this league than Dalton. The quality of SGs in the modern NBA just isn’t good. After 3, it’s feasible for Dalton once he enters his prime. So yeah, I’ll consider Dalton after 3 for sure. I don’t see him being more than a top 50 player but that’s pretty damn good.

Swing Skill: defensive consistency

Mid End

6t. Ja'Kobe Walter
SG | Baylor 6'5" 180 lbs Freshman 19.4 yrs 16.8 PTS 5.6 REB 2.0 AST 0.2 BLK 1.5 STL
Ray Allen prototype. The question is, can he actually get to that level? I don’t know. The level of shooting says he has the upside but he has to get stronger, faster, etc. He’s a true freshman. These guys are so hard to scale. Develop is key and it’s not linear. Going to a team that’s not good at development and these guys end up being disappointments. I would really prefer he return to college for another year but that’s stupid considering he’s a lottery pick. His upside is just too high.

Current: 5 wins
Swing Skill: Strength – This can be said for most of these guys but it’s critical for these guys.

Stephon Castle
PG/SG | UConn 6'6" 190 lbs Freshman 19.3 yrs 15.2 PTS 6.0 REB 4.4 AST 0.7 BLK 1.4 STL
He looks like an NBA player, feels like an NBA player. I love his frame; he looks like 15-20 pounds is possible. He’s like a high energy Fultz without the skill level and the natural size Fultz had. Like Fultz, what’s his NBA card is ultimately in the air but as long as he progresses shooting, all star potential is there. His frame is glorious but he has to really work and get in a good situation to develop and grow.

Future: 20 wins
Swing Skill: Shooting

Donovan Clingan
C | UConn 7'2" 265 lbs Sophomore 19.9 yrs 21.3 PTS 11.2 REB 2.6 AST 4.0 BLK 0.5 STL

Injuries and his foot are the main concerns and it can ruin him before he becomes anything but there is no center in this draft with the offense and defensive combination of Clingan. Two-way potential, athletic for his size, moves exceptionally well for his size, a defensive force, but injuries and stamina issue get in his way. The best comp I have for him his Bryant Reaves on offense but Roy Hibbert with more mobility on defense. He does have to ability to switch as a big man even if he’s locked into the 5 position. I believe he’s 280 right now. He’s massive.

Low End

9t. Alexandre Sarr
PF/C | Perth 7'1" 217 lbs International 18.8 yrs 19.1 PTS 9.3 REB 2.0 AST 2.9 BLK 0.9 STL
His floor is extremely low and that’s my issue with Sarr but his defensive upside and his body type is tremendous for a defensive-minded prospect. I think his offense will be bad for a while but the talent will be interesting.

Current: 0 wins

Ron Holland
SF/PF | G League 6'8" 200 lbs G League 18.6 yrs 22.0 PTS 7.5 REB 3.3 AST 1.0 BLK 2.6 STL
A bad player who’s not effective but with development and good coaching, maybe there is something here. Could he be a self-creative Corey Brewer if he develops but Brewer had a way better feel for the game. It’s tough, I do think he’s physically impressive and has room to grow physically. Shades of Crash (Gerald Wallace) if he continues linear development. Some people will buy all in on what he is but I don’t see an effective player right now but I see one down the road. His slashing ability is real. His athleticism and motor is real. His ability to get stocks is real. He’s never going to do well on my impact chart but he will shine in metrics charts and that should get him pushed higher than expected.

Matas Buzelis
SF | G League 6'11" 195 lbs G League 19.3 yrs 15.8 PTS 7.5 REB 2.0 AST 2.0 BLK 1.3 STL
Review coming later.

Kyle Filipowski
C | Duke 7'0" 248 lbs Sophomore 20.3 yrs 20.6 PTS 9.9 REB 3.3 AST 2.1 BLK 1.3 STL
Review coming later.

Tidjane Salaun
SF | Cholet Basket 6'9" 203 lbs International 18.5 yrs 15.6 PTS 5.7 REB 1.2 AST 0.3 BLK 1.9 STL
Review coming later. Love this kid but my metrics hate his ass but he passes my eye test. Could this be De’Andre Jordan where my eye test was right or could this be Cam Reddish where my eye test was ass.
Future: 10 wins

Zach Edey
C | Purdue 7'4.25" 300 lbs Senior 21.8 yrs 27.3 PTS 13.9 REB 2.1 AST 2.6 BLK 0.3 STL

Zach is an offensive stud. He’s not big for nothing. He can score 15 ppg right now in the NBA if he can adjust to the pace which is a massive question mark that won’t be solved anytime soon which makes him a massive boom-or-bust prospect. Is he per10 or per36. If he’s per36, he probably should be a top 5 pick but then you have to think about fit and he doesn’t fit what the modern NBA is doing for some of his biggest strengths like post-up, FTA foul drawing which is elite regardless. Lacks floor spacing although he shows shooting touch in training videos, he doesn’t show it on film at all.

Defensively, he does protect the paint and the rim which you want from centers, he doesn’t switch well at all due to physical limitations and he’s no threat defending in space at all. He’s kind of a blast from the past. He’s an offensive juggernaut if you use him with a lot of touches and actions assuming he does adjust to the pace of the game. He’s athletic and coordinated for his size. It shows on offense the most.

He doesn’t fit most teams. Hell, he hardly fits any but there are teams like Denver and Atlanta who should take a very strong look at him. As for everyone else, you’re looking at a backup center and maybe he could become more.

Current: 0 wins – 25 if he adjusts to the pace and lands in an ideal spot
Future: 25 wins only per10 – 45 per36 if he adjusts to the pace and lands in an ideal spot

Isaiah Collier
PG | USC 6'4" 205 lbs Freshman 19.4 yrs 19.8 PTS 3.4 REB 5.0 AST 0.2 BLK 1.7 STL
Review coming later.
Swing Skill: Top End Finishing

Yves Missi
C | Baylor 6'10" 235 lbs Freshman 19.8 yrs 17.6 PTS 9.1 REB 0.5 AST 2.6 BLK 1.2 STL
Review coming later.
Swing Skill: Rebounding at an elite rate

Ryan Dunn
SF | Virginia 6'8" 216 lbs Sophomore 21.1 yrs 11.8 PTS 9.1 REB 1.2 AST 2.9 BLK 1.9 STL

Probably the greatest perimeter defensive prospect ever. Shawn Marion meet Brandon Clarke meet your son, Ryan Dunn. There is nothing negative to say defensively. Offensively, he has some strengths. Tremendous finisher like Clarke. Good rebounder. His athleticism on offense is as outrageous as it is on defense. But that’s where it ends. Might be one of the worst shooting prospects

I’ve ever seen. Makes Michael Kidd-Gilcrest look like Seth Curry. It’s hard to be this awful at shooting and play in the NBA. Offensively, he’s a small ball 5. He would need to be next to KAT at the 5 and shooters at 1-3 to be stretch guys.

His defense is so elite, he would help any and everyone. You just have to find a way to play him offensively. He’s not a bad offensive player. He’s decent for a small ball 5. I wish he was a better passer. He’s a good cutter. He’s not a bad player, he’s a damn good player. Fit is paramount. If I was some team, I might not even have him on my board. He’s the only draft prospect with a 15-defensive grade. The only guys who ever got a 20 from me on defense in the NBA is Gobert and Mutombo. 15 is usually the highest I give and I rarely give 15 to a draft prospect on D for impact. Never. Not even Clarke got a 15. Dunn is the exception to the rule. He’s the best I’ve ever seen. He gets a 15. A good fit could be the Pacers. They have shooting everywhere.

Future: 25 wins

Kevin McCullar

SG | Kansas 6'6" 210 lbs Senior 22.9 yrs 19.8 PTS 6.5 REB 4.7 AST 0.4 BLK 1.6 STL
I am a believer in McCullar as a good player at college but the question is, are you just good because you have a clear advantage physically and once that is gone, are you still good at what you do. Do you have some bully ball like Jarrett Culver in you and it works in college but at 200, you can’t do it in the NBA and you aren’t athletic enough to overcome it. That’s my question with McCullar.

Kansas guards have flopped to extreme levels in the NBA and it’s a simplified scheme. There are some schools I just don’t like for NBA prospects and I’ve never liked Bill Self’s program. Even the best players like Embiid could have gone anywhere. He wasn’t even starting a lot early on. Metrics and my impact stats always like Kansas guys and they always underwhelm. The only one who overachieved was Graham. I don’t like doing this because it knocks a player but Kansas players are just tough evals for me.

Even as a prospect on his own, I don’t love him. The shot is not smooth. Release is slow whereas Shannon's release is quick for a 2. Not explosive at all. You see tremendous BBIQ and you do see a kid with skills. I am going to be honest. I don’t like his game for the NBA. I think it’s worse than Johnny Davis. Davis was better as well. He’s going to stay in this tier because I don’t stray far from my impact chart or the metrics but the eye test sees a bust. He and Salaun differ because my impact scores hate him but love McCullar. Then again, my impact metrics love BBIQ/awareness/decision-making skills.
Swing Skill: Defensive consistency

Kel'el Ware
C | Indiana 7'0" 223 lbs Sophomore 19.8 yrs 16.9 PTS 10.5 REB 1.9 AST 1.7 BLK 0.7 STL

My metrics says Ware’s player comp is Jarrett Allen but Allen was better as a freshman but Ware’s growth has him as a clearly better prospect coming into the draft. Metrics hated Allen and Ware. Doesn’t see them as much than a 2nd rounder and backup 5s at best. Impact charts like them a lot more and saw both as potential NBA starters with all-star possibilities.

Impact charts always liked their measurements and potential in combine setting. It saw Allen as a freak athlete and thinks Ware is one too. My impact charts see high-end athleticism as an impact to the NBA and not as much in college with the pace of the game. What’s interesting about Ware is his shooting upside. Obviously, getting stronger will help Ware in the NBA.

Swing Skill: Elite shooting

DJ Wagner
PG | Kentucky 6'3" 175 lbs Freshman 18.8 yrs 14.8 PTS 2.3 REB 4.8 AST 0.3 BLK 1.3 STL
Review coming later.

Jared McCain
PG | Duke 6'3" 197 lbs Freshman 19.9 yrs 15.5 PTS 6.0 REB 2.3 AST 0.0 BLK 1.3 STL
Review coming later.

Zvonimir Ivisic
PF/C | Kentucky 7'2" 234 lbs Freshman 20.4 yrs 22.1 PTS 13.3 REB 2.5 AST 4.4 BLK 1.3 STL
Review coming later.

Carlton Carrington
PG | Pittsburgh 6'5" 190 lbs Freshman 18.6 yrs 14.6 PTS 5.7 REB 4.6 AST 0.3 BLK 0.5 STL
Review coming later.

Wooga Poplar
SG | Miami 6'5" 197 lbs Junior 21.1 yrs 16.0 PTS 5.8 REB 2.5 AST 0.4 BLK 0.9 STL
Review coming later.
Swing Skill: Finishing

Aaron Bradshaw
C | Kentucky 7'0" 215 lbs Freshman 19.8 yrs 11.8 PTS 8.5 REB 0.5 AST 1.5 BLK 0.9 STL
Review coming later.

Hunter Sallis
SG/PG | Wake Forest 6'5" 185 lbs Junior 20.9 yrs 19.2 PTS 4.1 REB 2.6 AST 0.6 BLK 1.0 STL
Review coming later.

Baba Miller
SF | Florida State 6'11" 204 lbs Sophomore 20.0 yrs 11.2 PTS 7.1 REB 2.1 AST 1.8 BLK 1.2 STL
Review coming later.

Terrance Shannon

Best NBA player in this draft outside of Risacher. Character concerns due to recent case.

This class should be named the 90s and 2000s because with Edey, Shannon, and Dalton K, it’s a blast from the 90s and 2000s. Shannon doesn’t post up like his player comp, Mitch Richmond but he’s similar otherwise. Shannon is clearly the best player in this class for most NBA teams. The question for him is the sexual assault case that is still over his head as the murder with Miller last year. Some will completely remove him off the board but this is probably the one guy I know will be an all-star.

Because of his case, he’s 4th tier low end. I was even considering dropping him to the 5th tier. Him and Dalton are the best SG prospects in this class which is extremely top heavy.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=terrence-shannon-jr--dalton-knecht

Blast from the past draft class. There was a time where this prototype was dead but the powerful three level scoring SG is making a return. Not the most efficient players but with teams being so deep, high end scorers is in demand again and teams aren’t discouraging the mid-range anymore. The last time I used the player comp of Mitch Richmond was for James Harden. Let’s say he went way above that.
Current: 20 wins
Swing Skill:

Johnny Furphy
Review coming later.

Adama Bal
Review coming later.

Tyler Smith
PF/SF | G League 6'11" 224 lbs G League 19.3 yrs 22.3 PTS 8.0 REB 2.4 AST 1.5 BLK 1.4 STL
Review coming later.
Current: NA wins
Future: NA wins
Swing Skill: NA

Oso Ighodaro
PF | Marquette 6'9" 225 lbs Senior 21.6 yrs 15.7 PTS 8.2 REB 3.0 AST 1.3 BLK 1.1 STL

Oso is a unique prospect. Passes like Draymond. Can attack off the dribble like Looney, and slips screens exceptionally well like JC but nowhere near John Collins's (JC) explosiveness. Rebounds well for a 4, a tad underwhelming for a 5. He’s a Draymond Green-type prospect, where fit is critical. I am not exactly sure what that is or what that looks like but he’s good at basketball and his movement skills are legit as well. He’s switchable and can defend multiple positions so he qualifies to be a 4. Listed at 6’11 but looks 6’10 with shoes. Listed at 235 but looks like 230. That’s close to JC’s size.

He and Edey might be the Jaime Jaquez of this draft where you might move them up two to three tiers if they landed at a great spot for their games. I am thinking of Golden State where they have a lot of shooting gravity and the ball doesn’t stick. Maybe small ball five with the Suns and use him as the offensive catalyst but he’s years away from that just from a strength level as a starter. He’s going to come in like Draymond and struggle to adjust as many of these guys will. The lack of rim protection or paint protection is an issue but that’s normal from small ball 5s in today’s NBA. Doesn’t have the explosiveness of Jalen Johnson or JC but is tremendously fast in transition and plays with tremendous pace. He is such a unique prospect.

Future: 15 wins (40 wins in ideal setting)

Izan Almansa
PF | G League 6'10" 216 lbs G League 18.7 yrs 13.9 PTS 9.8 REB 2.0 AST 1.1 BLK 1.0 STL
Review coming later.

Ulrich Chomche
PF/C | NBA Academy Africa
6'11" 234 lbs International 18.1 yrs 15.6 PTS 10.8 REB 4.0 AST 3.2 BLK 1.6 STL
Review coming later.

Tyler Kolek
PG | Marquette 6'3" 195 lbs Senior 22.9 yrs 17.4 PTS 5.4 REB 8.0 AST 0.1 BLK 1.8 STL
Comp is Jarrett Jack. Not anywhere near as good at seeking contact as Jack was but he’s also a much better playmaker similar to Brevin Knight with how fundamentally sound he is as a passer. I see him in that Tyus Jones category where he’s a high-end backup PG and low-end starting PG. Tremendous feel for the game. Plays with tremendous pace. He’s a really good basketball player. Solid defender as well.
Future: 15 wins
Swing Skill: None

Harrison Ingram
SF | North Carolina 6'7" 233 lbs Junior 21.2 yrs 14.0 PTS 9.8 REB 2.5 AST 0.6 BLK 1.6 STL
Comp: Bruce Bowen.
Future: 15 wins
Swing Skill: None

Watchlist for 5th-tier guys I love:
Payton Sandfort
Kanaan Carlyle
Trentyn Flowers
P.J. Hall
Ajay Mitchell
Dillon Jones
Watching more…

I am still fairly new to this draft class. I am just getting around to the vets of the class and seeing the improvements they made from last year to this year. So far, the most improved players are Edey and Shannon Jr as far as vets go. Reed Sheppard is the most improved freshman.

This is a hard class to evaluate because based on my initial offering based on just the underclassmen and my expectations of where the older guys should be, this class was as weak as I’ve seen in years. Since then, I’ve evaluated the upperclassmen and they have shown up as well as the internationals this year. It’s hard to compare this class to previous classes. There are more low-end tier 4 guys in this class compared to last year where it was just 15 players. This year, it’s 28. It’s been a while since we had a class this deep since 2021. It’s not top-heavy at all. Outside of three players (Knecht, Shannon Jr., and Risacher) all will likely spend time in the Gleague or should.

You hear guys like Barlowe say this draft is a 15-60 range this year. To me, I’ll say 9-37 range draft for now. So many guys to evaluate and since NIL, anyone with an inch of talent isn’t just running to play pro ball anymore and we are seeing guys develop and not get lost in the shuffle. This is starting to improve the draft a lot. For me, 1-8 is a tad different. It’s more reliable for me. Just my take.
King Ken
General Manager

Re: King Ken's Big Board 2024 (All-Star Break) 

Post#2 » by King Ken » Fri Mar 1, 2024 7:58 pm

As we anticipate our next update post-March Madness, let’s delve into the players who are making significant moves up in the ranks:

Zach Edey:

Edey is transitioning from the 4th low tier to a more respectable 3.5 tier. While I initially believed he didn’t quite fit the mold of the modern NBA, it became evident that he surpassed the “very good player” category. The pivotal question arose during my scout evaluations: Is he an excellent player? The answer was a resounding yes. Consequently, Edey swiftly ascended to the 3.5 tier at the very least.

Comparing him to another player who defied the modern NBA archetype—Brandon Clarke—Edey holds a clear advantage in potential stardom. However, Clarke’s versatility as a backup 5 extends across various team contexts. In Edey’s case, building an entire team around him would be unwise, but utilizing him within a system that revolves around 5s (as seen in heliocentric teams like those led by Harden, Trae Young, and Luka) is a more viable approach.

Alex Sarr:

Sarr, previously in the 4th low tier, now occupies the 3.5 tier. Despite my reservations, I cannot ignore his immense talent. Standing at 7’1" and 225 pounds, he has the potential to grow into the 235-240 range. Currently, he may not be a standout basketball player, but remember that both LaMelo Ball and Anthony Edwards faced similar skepticism when they entered the NBA draft. Sarr’s upward trajectory reflects this acknowledgment. Notably, I’ve shifted him from a 5 to a power forward which is more promising.

Terrance Shannon Jr.:

Shannon’s journey involves moving from the 4th low tier to the 4th high tier. My assessment is grounded in basketball performance rather than legal matters. Regardless of any potential setbacks due to his legal situation, Shannon remains tied as the second-best player in this class alongside Dalton Knecht.

Players to Watch:

Keep a close eye on Dillon Jones, Payton Sandfort, Wooga Poplar, Isaiah Collier, and Matas Buzelis as they continue to develop and make their mark.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#3 » by King Ken » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:12 pm

It probably won't be till the combine that I provide another update but he's my takes so far.

30 guys with Tier 4 or better grades.
10 3.5 grades.

The most talented prospects are Collier and Sarr.

2 3.5 tier guys are upperclassmen. (Edey and Knecht) The first time this has happened since the 90s.

I would take a single player with a top 9 pick this year in this class in general.

This class reminds me of the 2020 class. Just that class had guys with lower floors and higher ceilings like Edwards and Ball. No one has that level of ceiling this year.

Best upperclassmen group since the 90s.

If it wasn't for upperclassmen, this would be one of the worst drafts ever and by far the worst modern class.

Players who have dropped some:

Missi, Ware, Oso I., U. Chromche, Miller, Bal, Dunn

UK guys are still in college like Wagner, Bradshaw, and Ivonic.

I'll post the boomers around the combine.

10-24 is the strength of this class.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#4 » by King Ken » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:03 pm

I changed my mind.
17 guys which is a record are high-end 4th tier.
I barely have more than 2-3 but this year, it's exceptional.
I removed everyone from tier 3.5. There is not top 10 picks in this draft. None. Zero.
The 10-20 range is 17 deep.
mid 4th tier is 1 deep. - Jared McCain
12 players who are low tier 4th.
Some borderline tier 5 guys like Ware, P.J. Hall, Sandfort, Harrison Ingram, etc
This is a bad year to have a top 9 pick. Everything is a reach in that range.
10-20 should be good this year.
21-30 will be normal.

Maybe some steals in the 2nd round this year.

Return to Mock Drafts