Trading Cousins or Drummond for K-Love?

Fantasy Ball talk.

Moderators: floppymoose, Curtis Lemansky

chaps316
Ballboy
And1: 0

Trading Cousins or Drummond for K-Love? 

Post#1 » by chaps316 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:54 pm

10 team Yahoo H2H Keeper League. We only keep 6 keepers from year to year.

Keepers:
1) Kyrie Irving
2) Steph Curry
3) LeBron James
4) Andre Drummond
5) Boogie Cousins
6) Dwight Howard

The guy who owns Love is offering him to me for Drummond or Cousins. Three key eggs in one basket(Cleveland) sounds entertainning as hell but also a bit much.

I know pre-season O-ranks don’t mean much, but part of me feels crazy to refuse Love(O-rank 7) for Drummond(O-rank 39).

Wouldn’t it be cool to own LeBron(2nd), Curry (4th), Love(7th), Cousins(11th), Kyrie (14th) & Dwight (38th).

I need your input.
oeskaer
Sophomore
And1: 117

Re: Trading Cousins or Drummond for K-Love? 

Post#2 » by oeskaer » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:58 pm

For Drummond would do it. Not for Boogie tho.
F1uxCapacit0r
Sixth Man
And1: 209

Post#3 » by F1uxCapacit0r » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:25 pm

I dont know what your scoring style is but it seems pretty flawed to have Irving and Curry who bring a lot of value with their FT% while also keeping Dwight and Drummond that produce elsewhere but horribly hinder FT's.

Personally Id trade Drummond for Love (beef up your teams strengths scoring, 3's, FT% without hurting you in rebounding) and try to flip Howard for someone who fits your team a little better or go the other route and trade for the likes or Rondo's Josh Smiths, D Jordan etc
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#4 » by Doormatt » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:54 pm

wait what how is your team that stacked? and how are you allowed to keep 3 first round players?
#doorgek
chaps316
Ballboy

Post#5 » by chaps316 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:55 pm

Doormatt wrote:wait what how is your team that stacked? and how are you allowed to keep 3 first round players?

This is gonna be Year #4 of our Keeper League. The landscape was different in 2011.

-Drafted LeBron in our 2011 initial Keeper League draft 3rd Overall(KD went 1st and CP went 2nd).
-Drafted Kyrie as an unproven rookie that year in the 3rd round. People laughed cause I reached. Who’s laughing now?
-Drafted Cousins that same year(2011) in round 4.
-Acquired Curry that year mid-season via trade when he had those huge ankle concerns and I tanked the year cause Horford was done for the season and Yahoo has no IR for Basketball.
-Drafted Drummond in our 2013 draft(2nd round/8th round if you count keepers).
-Acquired Dwight via trade for Al Horford + spare parts in the summer of 2012.
chaps316
Ballboy

Post#6 » by chaps316 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:15 pm

F1uxCapacit0r wrote:I dont know what your scoring style is but it seems pretty flawed to have Irving and Curry who bring a lot of value with their FT% while also keeping Dwight and Drummond that produce elsewhere but horribly hinder FT's.

Personally Id trade Drummond for Love (beef up your teams strengths scoring, 3's, FT% without hurting you in rebounding) and try to flip Howard for someone who fits your team a little better or go the other route and trade for the likes or Rondo's Josh Smiths, D Jordan etc

Standard H2H 9 cat league (FG%, FT%, 3s, Pts, Rebs, Dimes, Steals, Blocks, TOs)

My strategy with Drummond + Dwight(and LeBron to an extent) was/is to tank FT% and not care about TOs in order to flat out dominate the other categories. I regularly win 7-2 or 6-3 because of that.

I understand your argument about Kyrie and Curry's FT% going against my ''punt FT%'' strategy but how many PGs do you know can shoot 3s, good FG%, score lots of points, dime & steal... yet they have a poor FT%? The answer is none. I tried to acquire Rondo but with his injury concerns, lack of 3s and the fact he has no more world class teammates to dish the ball to, worries me.

The problem with owning the Cleveland Big 3 is that during our 3-week fantasy playoffs, they have a ''3,2,3'' Schedule. That middle week(semi-finals) is gonna be hard as hell to overcome with only two games of LeBron, Kyrie & Love. Some players play 4 games on certain weeks with zero 2-game weeks in those playoffs.

Also, it's crazy how the market for Dwight has gone down because he is slowing down(stats-wise) and because he kills you in FT%. So it's highly unlikely I can trade Dwight to someone else for anything close to what he brings to the table. Pairing him with Drummond optimizes his value cause you go all-in in both of their strengths while punting their weaknesses.

Does this change your opinion on any way or you would still trade Drummond for Love and go all in with the Cleveland big 3?
F1uxCapacit0r
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by F1uxCapacit0r » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:43 pm

I see where your coming from, I just wouldn't have the same approach. I would decide either flop FTs or not, If no, wait till draft and flip Howard and Drummond for better fits. Hell, even try offering them both for Durant, you never know
F1uxCapacit0r
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by F1uxCapacit0r » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:45 pm

Also, I may consider moving Irving anyway as someones production will take a decent hit (Irving, Love, LBJ)
chaps316
Ballboy

Post#9 » by chaps316 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:05 pm

F1uxCapacit0r wrote:I see where your coming from, I just wouldn't have the same approach. I would decide either flop FTs or not, If no, wait till draft and flip Howard and Drummond for better fits. Hell, even try offering them both for Durant, you never know

Thanks for the info. I'm torn though.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,510

Post#10 » by whitehops » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:41 pm

even though curry and irving shoot a good FT% they really benefit from not having their TO's count against them. with your punt FT%/TO strategy curry was the 3rd best player overall last year and irving was the 11th best guard last year (10th best player with PG eligibility).

if you continue to do your punt FT%/TO strat (and I am assuming you are if you're keeping howard) then you would be crazy to trade both cousins and Drummond for love. last year cousins was just as good as love was for your strategy and love's stats should take a bit of a hit this year... also Drummond was not far behind love/cousins and was a top 12 player overall for your strategy.

I'm talking about overall value though, you'd have to decide if your team would be too dominant in one category (FG%, for example) and that it might be worth trading for love if you want a few more 3's just to play it safe. in my opinion though there are guys you can draft that fill that need, go for overall value to build your team around and then fill in the rest with your later picks.
chaps316
Ballboy

Post#11 » by chaps316 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:44 pm

whitehops wrote:even though curry and irving shoot a good FT% they really benefit from not having their TO's count against them. with your punt FT%/TO strategy curry was the 3rd best player overall last year and irving was the 11th best guard last year (10th best player with PG eligibility).

if you continue to do your punt FT%/TO strat (and I am assuming you are if you're keeping howard) then you would be crazy to trade both cousins and Drummond for love. last year cousins was just as good as love was for your strategy and love's stats should take a bit of a hit this year... also Drummond was not far behind love/cousins and was a top 12 player overall for your strategy.

I'm talking about overall value though, you'd have to decide if your team would be too dominant in one category (FG%, for example) and that it might be worth trading for love if you want a few more 3's just to play it safe. in my opinion though there are guys you can draft that fill that need, go for overall value to build your team around and then fill in the rest with your later picks.

Thanks a lot for the amazing in-depth analysis. Where do you get those stats from?

Also, the proposal on the table was Drummond OR Cousins(for Love), not both. But the points you made are exactly why I'm leaning on declining even though owning the Cleveland 3 is tempting.

I am Keeping Howard because yes I want to continue my strategy(since I own Drummond), but also because no one wants to give me anything close to his value in a trade. Unloading him for peanuts is a no-no for me.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,510

Post#12 » by whitehops » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:02 pm

chaps316 wrote:
whitehops wrote:even though curry and irving shoot a good FT% they really benefit from not having their TO's count against them. with your punt FT%/TO strategy curry was the 3rd best player overall last year and irving was the 11th best guard last year (10th best player with PG eligibility).

Thanks a lot for the amazing in-depth analysis. Where do you get those stats from?

Also, the proposal on the table was Drummond OR Cousins(for Love), not both. But the points you made are exactly why I'm leaning on declining even though owning the Cleveland 3 is tempting.

I am Keeping Howard because yes I want to continue my strategy(since I own Drummond), but also because no one wants to give me anything close to his value in a trade. Unloading him for peanuts is a no-no for me.

I use this: https://basketballmonster.com/PlayerRankings.aspx. I used to do it manually but this is much easier.

and I actually punted FT%/assists and 3's in a league last year and had the same problem when I tried to make trades, the players were a lot more valuable to me than anyone else and couldn't get any decent return on any of them.
chaps316
Ballboy

Post#13 » by chaps316 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:03 pm

I don’t willingly tank TOs like I tank FT%. The right term is more like ‘’ignoring it’’. When the goal of any fantasy GM is to acquire as many great fantasy players as possible, turnovers will follow.

Great players play a lot of minutes and always have the ball in their hands. If you want high averages, then you gotta live with turnovers. If you are allergic to Turnovers, go get scrubs on the waiver wire. You’ll win the category every week. Know what I mean?

In a way I wish we could get rid of that category in our league, but I also think it may benefit me to have it in order to be different and not have the same strategy as everyone else.

Return to Fantasy Basketball