Question about TPE's.

ATLHawksFan120
Ballboy
And1: 1

Question about TPE's. 

Post#1 » by ATLHawksFan120 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:47 am

How does a team acquire a TPE? I've never understood how that happens.
answerthink
Junior
And1: 10

Re: Question about TPE's. 

Post#2 » by answerthink » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:14 am

Trade exceptions are created in non-simultaneous trades. If a team that is over the salary cap trades away one player and receives back less salary in return, a trade exception will be created for the difference. This should be helpful for you: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q84.

Probably a good idea to get a better understanding of all the trade rules though: start with question 81.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#3 » by Smitty731 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:20 am

ATLHawksFan120 wrote:How does a team acquire a TPE? I've never understood how that happens.

The basics are that you send out more salary than you take you back. The difference is created in a TPE for the sending team.

I think, but someone more knowledgeable will correct me if I am wrong, you can only create a TPE if you are already over the cap. If you are under the cap, you can not create a TPE by sending out more salary than you take back.

I also believe that if you have a TPE, but go under the cap, your TPE may go away. Unless I am wrong, I think this is what happened with Philadelphia and Jrue Holiday. They gained a TPE for him, but by being under the cap, the TPE went away. Again, someone more knowledgeable will correct if I am wrong. Which is highly likely!
answerthink
Junior
And1: 10

Post#4 » by answerthink » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:46 am

Can only create a trade exception if a team is over the cap.

When a team’s team salary is so low that when its exceptions are added to team salary the sum is still below the cap, its exceptions are lost.

Good night, all. Go Heat.
ATLHawksFan120
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#5 » by ATLHawksFan120 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:05 am

That makes sense. I appreciate the help.

Return to CBA & Business