S&T and aggregation

statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

S&T and aggregation 

Post#1 » by statsman » Fri Jul 4, 2014 3:32 pm

Can a team that signs and trades a player to another also include other players in that trade?
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,841

Re: S&T and aggregation 

Post#2 » by giberish » Fri Jul 4, 2014 11:27 pm

Yes. There is no rule against this. There never has been either, but it's a common misunderstanding for some reason.

It's fairly rare due to the complications involved, but does happen. The KG/Pierce deal last summer had a S&T deal for Bogans as a part of it (needed to match salaries).
statsman
Analyst

Post#3 » by statsman » Sat Jul 5, 2014 4:32 am

Appreciate the response. I can see where this would not happen all that often.
statsman
Analyst

Post#4 » by statsman » Sun Jul 6, 2014 6:40 am

I have another aggregation question. It probably should be in its own thread, but I didn't want to clutter up the forum. I will leave it up to the moderators to decide.

When looking at a two team trade, it is usually clear to see when player aggregation is needed to acquire other players. But how does that work in a three team trade? Assume all teams are above the cap after the trade.

For example (making the salaries even to simplify the question):

- Team A trades a $5M player to Team B and a $7M player to Team C
- Team B trades a $12M player to Team A
- Team C trades a $7M player to Team B

Normally in a two team trade Team A would look at the players they were acquiring from Team B, and given the players Team A was trading, aligns the salaries and available TPEs in order to acquire the players from Team B. In some cases, one or more TPEs might be generated fro Team A.

But how does Team A look at the above three team trade? It acquired a $12M player from Team B but only sent them a $5M player. I know it's because of the $7M players that went to and from Team C. How does Team A resolve this trade? In addition, if Team A has a $7M TPE, can that be used at all in this trade?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#5 » by bondom34 » Sun Jul 6, 2014 6:58 am

statsman wrote:I have another aggregation question. It probably should be in its own thread, but I didn't want to clutter up the forum. I will leave it up to the moderators to decide.

When looking at a two team trade, it is usually clear to see when player aggregation is needed to acquire other players. But how does that work in a three team trade? Assume all teams are above the cap after the trade.

For example (making the salaries even to simplify the question):

- Team A trades a $5M player to Team B and a $7M player to Team C
- Team B trades a $12M player to Team A
- Team C trades a $7M player to Team B

Normally in a two team trade Team A would look at the players they were acquiring from Team B, and given the players Team A was trading, aligns the salaries and available TPEs in order to acquire the players from Team B. In some cases, one or more TPEs might be generated fro Team A.

But how does Team A look at the above three team trade? It acquired a $12M player from Team B but only sent them a $5M player. I know it's because of the $7M players that went to and from Team C. How does Team A resolve this trade? In addition, if Team A has a $7M TPE, can that be used at all in this trade?

For this, the trade is legal of course, but team A can't use a 7 mil TPE, since the salary of the single player it gets is over 7 million. The total salary in/out for each team makes the entire deal legal though.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO

Return to CBA & Business