Can you trade a retired player's contract?

sportscrazy
General Manager
And1: 727

Can you trade a retired player's contract? 

Post#1 » by sportscrazy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:22 am

Let's say for example the Cavs and Nets agreed to a deal sending out Brendan Haywood's contract, Mike Miller and a signed and traded Iman Shumpert (starting salary of $6.6 Million) for Joe Johnson, but Mike Miller retired before the deal was made, is that deal still legal? And in this specific case, how does retirement relate to player options?
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Re: Can you trade a retired player's contract? 

Post#2 » by DBoys » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:35 am

Nope, you can only trade players who
a - have a contract for future play, or
b - have never yet played in the NBA, were drafted, and for whom you hold (and are trading) the exclusive NBA right to sign them
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,544

Post#3 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:54 pm

DBoys wrote:Nope, you can only trade players who
b - have never yet played in the NBA, were drafted, and for whom you hold (and are trading) the exclusive NBA right to sign them

While this is true, I would still answer the question as yes it is (except if the Cavs don't want it to be) legal in the example provided.

Unless prior to the trade the Cavs and Miller decided to void his contract as art of his retirement, he would still have a contract and be tradable. He could then decide on any buyout/retirement with the Nets. So, unless the Cavs don't want to have Miller tradable, they would have the power to trade him, as even as a player deciding he was retiring he would still have a contract. Think similar to Camby to Toronto.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#4 » by Smitty731 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:35 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:

While this is true, I would still answer the question as yes it is (except if the Cavs don't want it to be) legal in the example provided.

Unless prior to the trade the Cavs and Miller decided to void his contract as art of his retirement, he would still have a contract and be tradable. He could then decide on any buyout/retirement with the Nets. So, unless the Cavs don't want to have Miller tradable, they would have the power to trade him, as even as a player deciding he was retiring he would still have a contract. Think similar to Camby to Toronto.

It really comes down to if the player has officially retired or not. If he officially retires (meaning files paperwork and all that), the contract is no longer eligible to be traded. If he is just not going to play, and the Nets don't care because they move Johnson, then that is fine. That happens on a fairly regular basis. Miller would just need to report and do the song and dance routine.
HartfordWhalers

Post#5 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:47 pm

Smitty731 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

It really comes down to if the player has officially retired or not. If he officially retires (meaning files paperwork and all that), the contract is no longer eligible to be traded. If he is just not going to play, and the Nets don't care because they move Johnson, then that is fine. That happens on a fairly regular basis. Miller would just need to report and do the song and dance routine.

Yeah, I should edit my answer to say if the Cavs don't want it to be, and if Miller is not willing to forgo his guaranteed salary. Its pretty rare to see that happen, but its definitely possible as you point out.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#6 » by DBoys » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:02 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:While this is true, I would still answer the question as yes it is (except if the Cavs don't want it to be) legal in the example provided.

I believe the example provided was that the player retired before the trade was completed. In that case, it would NOT be legal to trade him.
HartfordWhalers

Post#7 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:29 pm

DBoys wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:While this is true, I would still answer the question as yes it is (except if the Cavs don't want it to be) legal in the example provided.

I believe the example provided was that the player retired before the trade was completed. In that case, it would NOT be legal to trade him.

I'm pretty sure you are aware that most players that are referred to as retiring in a similar such case don't file paperwork and formally retire. Which was spelled out, just in case you weren't. Again, I think the Camby to Toronto deal is an example of one that fits what the OP was asking.

Return to CBA & Business