"Minimum player salary exception" question

K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

"Minimum player salary exception" question 

Post#1 » by K_chile22 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:10 am

So, in a trade, minimum players basically do not count as incoming salary, as they are taken in using this exception, unless that players minimum contract is longer than two seasons, so my question is, do past years count or only future years on the minimum? Example being (and the reason I'm asking is) Chinanu Onuaku, who got a three year minimum deal after the 2016 draft and is entering his final season. Would he be able to be taken into this exception since he only has one season left, or, because he was signed to a three year deal originally, can he not be?
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Re: 

Post#2 » by DBoys » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:39 am

Would he be able to be taken into this exception since he only has one season left,

NO

or, because he was signed to a three year deal originally, can he not be?

YES

It's about the contract that was signed, not what remains to be paid. The MSE (or equivalent*) contract can be added to any roster at any time via signing or "assignment." The 3-year deal is not that sort of contract.

* I'm using "equivalent" to mean the same contract in size and length limits as MSE, but not necessarily using the MSE to add to the roster when originally signed.

Return to CBA & Business