Suspensions and team salaries

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,300

Suspensions and team salaries 

Post#1 » by Klomp » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:01 pm

I'll start out by posting Bobby Marks' tweet.

Read on Twitter

Marks should know what he's talking about, so I don't exactly doubt him. However, this is what I found on the matter: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q13

My personal interpretation:
12 games is 1/6th of the season this year. Beasley is making $13,425,895 this season, of which 1/6th is $2,237,649.17. That is the amount which should be deducted from Beasley's earned salary, and the team books should not include half of that or $1,118,824.58 at the end of the season.

There was another part of the Coon FAQ that mentioned suspended players are docked either 1/110th or 1/145th of their salary, but neither one lines up with the above amounts (maybe they're based on 82-game seasons?). The part I mentioned above from Marks does seem to line up closer, but it's like it was cut in half twice instead of once so I'm not sure where the discrepancy lies between my numbers and Marks' or what I'm missing.

Also: I'm reading that the docked amount on the team salaries is only for luxury tax purposes and not extra cap room though. That part is somewhat confusing to me as to what that means exactly. I think what they're basically saying is that the amount does not create any sort of salary cap exception?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to CBA & Business