4y free agent LBR 5y over 25% of the cap = designated WHO?

Garf
Sophomore
And1: 1

4y free agent LBR 5y over 25% of the cap = designated WHO? 

Post#1 » by Garf » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:26 pm

TLDR: after only 4 years in the league, a free agent resigns with his old team for 5y, above 25% of the cap, because he's eligible.
Do you call him:
A) a designated rookie?
B) a designated veteran?
C) or neither?

Long version:

www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q24 ends with a table. I'm asking about the 2nd case in it (LBR 5y contract above 25% max). I don't think this situation has ever taken place under the 2017 CBA, thus theory is all I have. Thus my opening question: is that a designated rookie, a designated veteran, or neither i.e. just a designated player, not counting against these limitations also pointed out in Q24:

"There is a limit to the number of designated players a team can have on its roster at a time. A team can have up to two designated rookies (who received a longer rookie scale extension) and up to two designated veterans (who received higher than the 30%* maximum salary) at any time. However, only one designated rookie may have been acquired from another team in a trade."

* - thus not B?

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/07/players-on-designated-rookie-extensions.html seems to suggest it's not A either: "The designated rookie rule says that a team can’t carry two players acquired via trade if those players have signed designated rookie extensions that apply to a “current or future” cap year, so even though the extensions for Morant, Garland, and Williamson won’t take effect until 2023/24, the rule would apply to them as soon as they officially sign. Only a player who signs a rookie scale extension can become a designated rookie. The rule doesn’t apply to players who reach free agency, even if they sign a five-year, maximum-salary contract at that time."

Thus I'm leaning C. Could you please correct or confirm?

Many thanks in advance,
Daniel
Join my CBA-simulating fantasy game here
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Re: 4y free agent LBR 5y over 25% of the cap = designated WHO? 

Post#2 » by DBoys » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:28 pm

C
Garf
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#3 » by Garf » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:59 pm

Thank you!
Join my CBA-simulating fantasy game here
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,935

Post#4 » by meekrab » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:15 pm

It's clearly a "designated" contract as specified in the table since the player got 5 years and >25% but apparently there's a loophole around the designated rookie extension trade rule by making the player wait til free agency.

Return to CBA & Business