Qualifying Offers.

diesel50
Pro Prospect
And1: 15

Qualifying Offers. 

Post#1 » by diesel50 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:02 pm

If a rookie signs a qualifying offer, does that mean that he automatically get a no trade clause?
What you lookin' at? You all a bunch of ****' a-holes. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be? You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your freakin' fingers and say, "That's the bad guy."
bgwizarfan
Rookie
And1: 0

Re: Qualifying Offers. 

Post#2 » by bgwizarfan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:19 pm

a rookie can't sign a Qualifying Offer... rookies are issued Required Tenders, which basically ensures that a team keeps the rights to their draft pick (i.e. if 1st round draft picks aren't issued required tenders by july 16, they become Rookie Free Agents).

The "no-trade clause" you're referring to happens when a player is signed to a 1 year contract (not including option years) and he would be an Early Bird or Larry Bird Free Agent after that 1 year. A Qualifying Offer would fit the 1 year contract bill (but Rookies are never issued QO's). A player must consent to a trade in that scenario, and if he consents, he loses the Bird Rights he would have had at the end of the year
FGump
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#3 » by FGump » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:45 am

If a player has finished 4 years on his 1st round rookie contract and signs a QO for yr 5 ...

Or if he has finished 2 or 3 years as a non-1st-rounder and signs a QO for the next year ...

...then yes he cannot be traded without his permission during that year, and he loses Bird rights if he accepts such a trade.

Technically there is NOT a "no trade" clause in his contract under those circumstances, but the effect is about the same.
diesel50
Pro Prospect
And1: 15

Post#4 » by diesel50 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:44 pm

bgwizarfan wrote:a rookie can't sign a Qualifying Offer... rookies are issued Required Tenders, which basically ensures that a team keeps the rights to their draft pick (i.e. if 1st round draft picks aren't issued required tenders by july 16, they become Rookie Free Agents).

The "no-trade clause" you're referring to happens when a player is signed to a 1 year contract (not including option years) and he would be an Early Bird or Larry Bird Free Agent after that 1 year. A Qualifying Offer would fit the 1 year contract bill (but Rookies are never issued QO's). A player must consent to a trade in that scenario, and if he consents, he loses the Bird Rights he would have had at the end of the year

I meant a player on his rookie contract and not a rookie. However, thanks for the info.
What you lookin' at? You all a bunch of ****' a-holes. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be? You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your freakin' fingers and say, "That's the bad guy."

Return to CBA & Business