Traded Player Exception

BlaZeN27
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Traded Player Exception 

Post#1 » by BlaZeN27 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:30 am

The Miami Heat got a $4.5 Million TPE from the Toronto trade. What I was wondering was, can the Heat pair that with another player to take on more contract? For example...

Could the Heat trade Mark Blount (8 million) + 4.5 million TPE for a player that's making 12.5 Million or less? I've had people tell me that its not allowed, but I swear I can recall teams using TPE's in deals that involve actual players, not just TPE for a player.
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 956

Re: Traded Player Exception 

Post#2 » by Devin 1L » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:51 am

loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Re: Traded Player Exception 

Post#3 » by loserX » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:22 pm

BlaZeN27 wrote:The Miami Heat got a $4.5 Million TPE from the Toronto trade. What I was wondering was, can the Heat pair that with another player to take on more contract? For example...

Could the Heat trade Mark Blount (8 million) + 4.5 million TPE for a player that's making 12.5 Million or less? I've had people tell me that its not allowed,

Correct, it is not allowed.

BlaZeN27 wrote: but I swear I can recall teams using TPE's in deals that involve actual players, not just TPE for a player.

If a trade can be broken down into parts that are individually legal, the entire trade can generally be considered legal.

So if you trade Mark Blount for, say, Etan Thomas, and use your TPE to acquire DeShawn Stevenson, those two trades are independently legal. So you could technically combine Blount with the TPE to acquire Thomas and Stevenson, and it would be okay.

But Blount and the TPE for say, Baron Davis, cannot be done on its face, and cannot be split into independently legal trades. So it's forbidden.

Return to CBA & Business