Salary Cap Idea

Condi Rice
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Salary Cap Idea 

Post#1 » by Condi Rice » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:02 am

I think I actually enjoy offseason speculation more than the regular season... I guess that's because I'm a raptors fan. Anyway, here's an idea I think that will give GM's more flexibility and make the offseason much more exciting.

Allow unused salaray cap space to be transferred to future years.

So if you have say 10 million dollars of cap space in 2010, instead of using it, you can instead carry it forward to 2011. In 2011 you can choose to use all or a fraction of the $10 million, and have the option of carrying the rest forward to 2012. There can be a limit on how many years you can carry money forward to future years. The money used in this way would be exempt from the luxury tax.

I think having this option would reduce inefficiency in the system, where GM's are basically forced to sign sub par talent because they don't want their cap space to be wasted by the imminent signing of their star players whose rookie contracts are about to end.
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Re: Salary Cap Idea 

Post#2 » by Warspite » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:15 am

I have to think if this was done the lux tax would be lowered and get closer and closer to salary cap. Its the unused cap space that counters the high salary teams and balances the lux tax limit. If teams begin spending that unused cap space the lux tax theshold would lower. Your essentialy starting down the road of a hard cap.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,355

Re: Salary Cap Idea 

Post#3 » by nate33 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:50 am

Condi Rice wrote:I think I actually enjoy offseason speculation more than the regular season... I guess that's because I'm a raptors fan. Anyway, here's an idea I think that will give GM's more flexibility and make the offseason much more exciting.

Allow unused salaray cap space to be transferred to future years.

So if you have say 10 million dollars of cap space in 2010, instead of using it, you can instead carry it forward to 2011. In 2011 you can choose to use all or a fraction of the $10 million, and have the option of carrying the rest forward to 2012. There can be a limit on how many years you can carry money forward to future years. The money used in this way would be exempt from the luxury tax.

I think having this option would reduce inefficiency in the system, where GM's are basically forced to sign sub par talent because they don't want their cap space to be wasted by the imminent signing of their star players whose rookie contracts are about to end.

I think it's a bad idea. Basically, each year, you'd have a handful of teams actually trying for a title, and about 15 teams who are completely tanking while stockpiling picks and cap room. It would lead to an even greater disparity between the good teams and the bad.

Return to CBA & Business