OT And 1s are ruining this site

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
Aaron Brooks
Lead Assistant
And1: 629

Re: OT And 1s are ruining this site 

Post#41 » by Aaron Brooks » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:36 pm

i agree, but at the same time i disagree. also

raps in 4
dougie mcbuckets for roy
klay thompson, best sg in the league
lebron is soft
jeremy lin is a top pg in the nba

am i leaving anything out?
baki wrote:Harden is essentially a very good role player, he's not a franchise player.
StaticRoar
Pro Prospect
And1: 884

Post#42 » by StaticRoar » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:38 pm

Lebrizzy wrote:
Ignitowsky wrote:I'm hoping enough people feel the same way so that a meaningful discussion will start that catches the eye of people like Howard Mass.

Having to wade through pages of bad jokes, irrelevant gifs, pictures, memes, YouTube videos, etc. because people are whoring for And 1s is making this site virtually unreadable, at least for topics that are controversial or for whatever reason will draw a lot of posters. IMO many of these post are borderline relevant and in many cases act to derail threads or at least discourage serious discussion. At times it seems as if people are more interested in saying or doing something "clever" than actually talking about the OP.

I suspect the site operators are very happy with the status quo, as it has probably increased hits per page since the system was implemented, but I think that any increase in traffic will be short term and eventually posters will migrate elsewhere. RealGM is not the only game in town.

Thoughts? I'd especially like to hear from Mods on this. they probably have a better sense of this issue (if it is one) than anyone.

The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,168

Post#43 » by The-Power » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:42 pm

And1's aren't the problem, the users who use them are. People known for informative and intelligent posts don't get enough credit for doing it, that's the real issue. Also, funny posts - made in order to get And1's or not doesn't matter - aren't a problem, because true funny posts are creative and a reason for me to click on some of the stupid threads - those who aren't worth to discuss the addressed topic - around here. It is the whoring posts, not funny and yet liked, which lead to unreadable threads.

So, how about giving credit where credit is due and support intelligent answers and well-conceived statements while disregarding attention-posts? Give your support to the right posts and the feature will be fine.
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#44 » by NBAfan3024 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:42 pm

Legendary thread in the making
reapaman
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,220

Post#45 » by reapaman » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:42 pm

Well what was the reason for all the constant bad jokes, irrelevant Gifs and all that in every thread before and 1's?

Nothing has changed imo, you just have a more visible scapegoat now instead of blaming the real problem which is humanity.
BRING JAMAAL FRANKLIN TO UTAH!!!!!
Dr Octagon
RealGM
And1: 54,612

Post#46 » by Dr Octagon » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:43 pm

Magic24
Pro Prospect
And1: 109

Post#47 » by Magic24 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:45 pm

irie wrote:Before And-1s, there were tons of replies in every thread stating simply "+1." That was just as cluttered.

No, people are posting just looking to get an And1. The "+1" is no where near. I doubt anyone cares if someone quotes them just to see a "+1". And1 are different. It is a stat that everyone sees. It is a stat that you can garner. "+1" isn't a tally you can easily keep track of and show off.
laploutocratie
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,274

Post#48 » by laploutocratie » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:54 pm

You don't like humor?
☘ x XVII

6ixth_Man wrote:When I die, I want the Raptors to lower me into my grave, so they can let me down one last time
SunKing
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,509

Post#49 » by SunKing » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:18 pm

Ignitowsky wrote:I'm hoping enough people feel the same way so that a meaningful discussion will start that catches the eye of people like Howard Mass.

Having to wade through pages of bad jokes, irrelevant gifs, pictures, memes, YouTube videos, etc. because people are whoring for And 1s is making this site virtually unreadable, at least for topics that are controversial or for whatever reason will draw a lot of posters. IMO many of these post are borderline relevant and in many cases act to derail threads or at least discourage serious discussion. At times it seems as if people are more interested in saying or doing something "clever" than actually talking about the OP.

I suspect the site operators are very happy with the status quo, as it has probably increased hits per page since the system was implemented, but I think that any increase in traffic will be short term and eventually posters will migrate elsewhere. RealGM is not the only game in town.

Thoughts? I'd especially like to hear from Mods on this. they probably have a better sense of this issue (if it is one) than anyone.

Two "legendary" threads before the "And 1s" addiction that summerize all the things you're talking about :

Outdoor NBA
Michael Jordan love letter

Those never gets old :lol: :lol:

OP of the first went full (Please Use More Appropriate Word) and second post is "And 1 whoring"-worthy all over the place but brought some of the funniest stuff I've ever read :D
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,482

Post#50 » by Asif16 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:26 pm

Raps gonna win the championship.

Theres your in depth analysis.
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,821

Post#51 » by Steelo Green » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:28 pm

How does it ruin the site?

I post fun stuff, insightful stuff, gifs, whatever, and just switch it up depending on the situation to get a laugh out of others or to drive conversation.

I come here to talk ball and get some laughs, and man oh man reading this board sometimes I will laugh for hours on end about some of the gifs created or jokes made. That being said, there are some amazing posters whom I keep serious discussions as well.

If you want a tailor made website that doesn't have And1's then go elsewhere. Not saying it is good or bad. Of course some people just post for the And1's, but contrast is always good. Goof balls, die hards, stats gurus, never miss a gamers, they all add to the experience that is RealGM.
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#52 » by Ignitowsky » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:23 pm

RaptorsFTL wrote:How does it ruin the site?

I post fun stuff, insightful stuff, gifs, whatever, and just switch it up depending on the situation to get a laugh out of others or to drive conversation.

I come here to talk ball and get some laughs, and man oh man reading this board sometimes I will laugh for hours on end about some of the gifs created or jokes made. That being said, there are some amazing posters whom I keep serious discussions as well.

If you want a tailor made website that doesn't have And1's then go elsewhere. Not saying it is good or bad. Of course some people just post for the And1's, but contrast is always good. Goof balls, die hards, stats gurus, never miss a gamers, they all add to the experience that is RealGM.

I come here to talk basketball. I don't want to have to wade through garbage posts that are there strictly for comedic purposes in order to find posts that are actually pertinent to the thread. I think the site was way better before the and 1 system was implemented. You apparently have no idea as you weren't posting then.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
Axel
Veteran
And1: 1,133

Post#53 » by Axel » Tue Dec 2, 2014 4:24 am

Magic24 wrote:
irie wrote:Before And-1s, there were tons of replies in every thread stating simply "+1." That was just as cluttered.

No, people are posting just looking to get an And1. The "+1" is no where near. I doubt anyone cares if someone quotes them just to see a "+1". And1 are different. It is a stat that everyone sees. It is a stat that you can garner. "+1" isn't a tally you can easily keep track of and show off.

PPA = Posts Per And1

Maybe the best option is to not record And1's outside of the thread. We don't need a stat to convey who makes the most insightful posts; that should be obvious to those who take the time to read. However it could be useful to know the most insightful or most agreed with statements within a particular thread.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#54 » by kingkirk » Thu Dec 4, 2014 10:06 am

Just limit the amount of and1s that can be posted per day/week or whatever.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#55 » by REDDzone » Sat Dec 6, 2014 12:28 am

KingCuban wrote:Just limit the amount of and1s that can be posted per day/week or whatever.

This is what I think. One or a few per day, some people and1 everything.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
RIP Kobe
Analyst
And1: 4,505

Post#56 » by RIP Kobe » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:00 pm

The best way to solve this is to completely remove how many and1's a user has accumulated on the left side.

Make it something that only that poster can see and no one else.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,714

Post#57 » by Howard Mass » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:07 pm

Can I be of any assistance?

It seems like this is just a debate so I'll assume no unless told otherwise.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:

Return to Feedback and Suggestions