Request: Allow for more than 255 characters in a signature

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 16,676

Request: Allow for more than 255 characters in a signature 

Post#1 » by Im Coming Home » Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:32 am

Hello,

I am here to request a bumping of the limit on the amount of characters in a signature. Over on the Knicks RGM forum, we have something called Build a Franchise as you guys may know. A lot of guys like to make their signatures look really cool by showing off their rosters with stylized signature(like the one I have myself) the problem is that the 255 character limit really limits out ability to stylize the text once we add a full roster to our sigs. I was hoping for some work around so that maybe text formatting didn't count against the character limit and only what actually displays count(ie; player names, plain text, basically what shows up in the sig as actual text after the formatting/stylizing) towards this 255 limit, or just upping the limit in general.

Is this possible? Seems like it could either be deeply embedded into the site's code, or something that could easily be upped, not sure.

Thank you,
ICH
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Re: Request: Allow for more than 255 characters in a signature 

Post#2 » by Indeed » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:40 pm

255 + terminator (256) characters is a special size on database that allows for indexing for searching. This is more a database design question than changing the size of a column / field.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1217466/is-there-a-good-reason-i-see-varchar255-used-so-often-as-opposed-to-another-l
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 793

Re: Request: Allow for more than 255 characters in a signature 

Post#3 » by disoblige » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:57 am

Change varchar to text. However, i think most people dont want to see +255 sig. So much junk to most people.

Return to Feedback and Suggestions