Spurs Don't See Trae Young As Fit Next To Victor Wembanyama

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Spurs Don't See Trae Young As Fit Next To Victor Wembanyama 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:30 am

The San Antonio Spurs do not see Trae Young as a fit next to Victor Wembanyama, sources told Kurt Helin of NBC Sports.

Helin adds that the Spurs could be interested in Dejounte Murray instead.

The Hawks are likely to trade one of either Young or Murray this summer, according to reports. 

The Spurs could also pursue Chris Paul in free agency.

Via Kurt Helin/NBC Sports

pushfloater
Freshman
And1: 14

Re: Spurs Don't See Trae Young As Fit Next To Victor Wembanyama 

Post#2 » by pushfloater » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:45 pm

Agreed, let’s keep Jeremy Sochan or somebody like that
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,947

Post#3 » by G R E Y » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:59 pm

It's the time of year for most 'could', 'might' articles.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,984

Post#4 » by Wingy » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:08 pm

Just because Wemby can erase a ton of issues doesn’t mean you should wear him out and overuse that card with sieves like Trae.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 524

Post#5 » by TheCage4 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:59 pm

If they can get Paul on a one year deal that's affordable (by today's NBA salary standards), it may be a big boost for such a young team.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,970

Post#6 » by shakes0 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:22 pm

Pop is an idiot who has always hated Trae. He's a moron if he doesn't see how Trae and Wemby would be about as perfect a fit as you could ever find in the NBA.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,538

Post#7 » by closg00 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:25 pm

That means they won’t be taking Dillingham then…
saltybs
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#8 » by saltybs » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:33 pm

If Trae can't fit with Wemby, he actually can't fit anywhere (anywhere that wants to win anyway). There probably isn't a player in the NBA more capable of covering for Trae's deficiencies on pick and roll than Wemby.

But I agree with the Spurs. If I'm them I'm hell-bent on finding a young lead guard who projects as a Top Tier ball-stopper, to form the most formidable pick and roll defense the league has ever seen.
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 104

Post#9 » by dubbmotta » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:20 pm

shakes0 wrote:Pop is an idiot who has always hated Trae. He's a moron if he doesn't see how Trae and Wemby would be about as perfect a fit as you could ever find in the NBA.

As a Hawks fan, he's not an idiot. Trae does not play D nor try too..Also, he's not coachable. He does what he want on offense. That doesn't fly in Spurs culture.
shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by shakes0 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:48 pm

dubbmotta wrote:
shakes0 wrote:Pop is an idiot who has always hated Trae. He's a moron if he doesn't see how Trae and Wemby would be about as perfect a fit as you could ever find in the NBA.

As a Hawks fan, he's not an idiot. Trae does not play D nor try too..Also, he's not coachable. He does what he want on offense. That doesn't fly in Spurs culture.

you're not a Hawks fan, not with that nonsense assessment.
noreaster23
Sophomore
And1: 239

Post#11 » by noreaster23 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:13 pm

Thank gosh.
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 3,850

Post#12 » by hauntedcomputer » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:34 pm

Yeah, it's Pop who is the idiot.
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.

sixers4real wrote:Okay, GB, I hate you, but I’m bored.
OriginalRed
Sixth Man
And1: 2,980

Post#13 » by OriginalRed » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:29 pm

Of course they don't. Pop would have an aneurysm watching Trae launch 40 ft three pointers like they're practice shots.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,218

Post#14 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:36 pm

I don't believe Pop has time in his day to hate a Trae. You talk like Trae killed his dog or something. But I promise you that Trae would be sitting on Pops bench the moment he launched one of his ill-advised long 3's.

That aside, you're right, Wemby would be the perfect center to put behind Trae. Someone that can erase his mistakes and make up for his lackadaisical defensive effort. But we aren't talking about who to put behind Trae, we are talking about who to put in front of Wemby, and there are many better PG's to put in front of Wemby. Tyus Jones says hello.... And SAS wouldn't need to give up anything to get him.
Skipwhethers
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#15 » by Skipwhethers » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:37 pm

Good Lord, please don't do any of these moves...
shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by shakes0 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:41 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:

I don't believe Pop has time in his day to hate a Trae. You talk like Trae killed his dog or something. But I promise you that Trae would be sitting on Pops bench the moment he launched one of his ill-advised long 3's.

That aside, you're right, Wemby would be the perfect center to put behind Trae. Someone that can erase his mistakes and make up for his lackadaisical defensive effort. But we aren't talking about who to put behind Trae, we are talking about who to put in front of Wemby, and there are many better PG's to put in front of Wemby. Tyus Jones says hello.... And SAS wouldn't need to give up anything to get him.

There isn't a player in the league who would be better to put with Wemby than Trae. You're talking about combing the center who is going to possibly be the greatest PnR big of all time with a guard who is already arguably the greatest PnR guard of all time.

Tyus Jones????? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

And FTR< I would love it if Pop sat Trae for shooting long 3s. No one with ATL has had the guts to do that.
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,575

Post#17 » by drekwins » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:10 pm

shakes0 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

There isn't a player in the league who would be better to put with Wemby than Trae. You're talking about combing the center who is going to possibly be the greatest PnR big of all time with a guard who is already arguably the greatest PnR guard of all time.

And FTR< I would love it if Pop sat Trae for shooting long 3s. No one with ATL has had the guts to do that.

No, it would be great for Tray.. not Wemby. Tray plays zero defense, turns the ball over and is a chucker who probably will be resistant to a number 2 role. Tray is not a star. He's much more the Jamal Crawford of the era than a #1 or 2 option.
Dan1970
Freshman
And1: 55

Post#18 » by Dan1970 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:32 pm

Pop has 5 championships. The Hawks have 0 championships since 1958. Who is the moron? Look in the mirror. :noway:
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,218

Post#19 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:37 pm

shakes0 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

Trae isn't the greatest anything... and I like watching Trae play. I am not saying that Tyus is a better player. I am saying that he is a better fit. If I were to place money on which one of these two players wins a ring first, it would be Tyus hands down. Trae will have to wait until he's ring chasing.

Here are their numbers per 36:

Trae: 26/3/11 _ 1.3 STL _ 4.4 TOV _ .430 FG% _ .373 3P%
Tyus: 15/3/9 _ 1.3 STL _ 1.2 TOV _ .489 FG% _ .411 3P%

The bottom line is that Trae has too many flaws to be a #1a or 1b on a championship team, but Tyus has everything it takes to be a #4 while running the offense on a contender. He defends his position, makes the right pass, hits the open shot and doesn't turn it over. And most importantly, he's a free agent this summer. He wouldn't cost SAS a single asset.

If Trae gets moved, it will be to a lottery team or a fringe playoff team in desperation mode. (Yes, LAL are a fringe playoff team.) How about to CHI for LaVine and a pick?
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 104

Post#20 » by dubbmotta » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:02 pm

shakes0 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

IS this Trae Young or his little brother??? As a long time Hawks fan, he does not play winning basketball..he's exciting to watch, heck I even have a Trae Young jersey but he's not a winner and him and Pop would throw hands.

Return to Wiretap Discussion