Dwight Howard: Van Gundy Suggested To Sign With Rockets

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Dwight Howard: Van Gundy Suggested To Sign With Rockets 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Oct 2, 2013 3:11 am

Dwight Howard says Stan Van Gundy suggested to him during the free agency process that he should sign with the Houston Rockets.

Howard ultimately did sign with the Rockets, leaving a more lucrative deal with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Van Gundy coached Howard on the Orlando Magic from 2007 to 2012.

Howard and Van Gundy had their differences in the two's last season with the Magic in 2011-12, but both have said they maintain a friendship.

Via Bill Reiter/Fox Sports

BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Re: Dwight Howard: Van Gundy Suggested To Sign With Rockets 

Post#2 » by BallerTalk » Wed Oct 2, 2013 4:13 am

Van Gundy suggested he should sign with the Rockets?
So did everybody else outside of LA
(and Atlanta...and Dallas...and The Bay)
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Post#3 » by Showtime:Part2 » Wed Oct 2, 2013 4:17 am

will this dude ever just stfu. nobody cares anymore man. you're on the rockets, go play ball and shutup
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant
To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
airaaron32
Senior
And1: 773

Post#4 » by airaaron32 » Wed Oct 2, 2013 4:31 am

Dwight! It's a trap!
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#5 » by Shem » Wed Oct 2, 2013 5:14 am

Showtime:Part2 wrote:will this dude ever just stfu. nobody cares anymore man. you're on the rockets, go play ball and shutup

If you didn't care, you wouldn't have opened this thread and said such an angry message. That alone makes someone care along with others who read this and others have commented like myself. It's time to show you don't care by ignoring. ;)

Just remember and this goes for anybody who reads this... nobody is forcing you to read these wiretaps, let alone comment on them.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
narmerguy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,052

Post#6 » by narmerguy » Wed Oct 2, 2013 5:16 am

Showtime:Part2 wrote:will this dude ever just stfu. nobody cares anymore man. you're on the rockets, go play ball and shutup

+1. And can we forget the "more lucrative" deal crap. It's obvious to everyone that he actually makes more money with Houston when you factor in the tax.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by BallerTalk » Wed Oct 2, 2013 5:44 am

Shem wrote:

If you didn't care, you wouldn't have opened this thread and said such an angry message. That alone makes someone care along with others who read this and others have commented like myself. It's time to show you don't care by ignoring. ;)

Just remember and this goes for anybody who reads this... nobody is forcing you to read these wiretaps, let alone comment on them.

But that would require them being honest about their angry and bitter feelings.
Denial won't allow that.
-
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#8 » by Shem » Wed Oct 2, 2013 5:49 am

BallerTalk wrote:
Shem wrote:

Denial won't allow that.

No, but I can at least let them know that we're not fooled. ;)
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by BallerTalk » Wed Oct 2, 2013 5:58 am

Shem wrote:
BallerTalk wrote:
Shem wrote:If you didn't care, you wouldn't have opened this thread and said such an angry message. That alone makes someone care along with others who read this and others have commented like myself. It's time to show you don't care by ignoring. ;)

Denial won't allow that.

No, but I can at least let them know that we're not fooled. ;)

True.
The thing is, I don't know if it's as much to fool us as it is to fool themselves.
It's a coping mechanism, however transparent it may be.
-
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#10 » by jlokine » Wed Oct 2, 2013 6:41 am

narmerguy wrote:

+1. And can we forget the "more lucrative" deal crap. It's obvious to everyone that he actually makes more money with Houston when you factor in the tax.

yea i hate these "lucrative" deal and "leaving $30M on the table" talk... $80M for 4 years and $110 for 5 years is not leaving $30M on the table... assuming he can sign 1 year for $20M on a "5th yr" it'd be leaving $10M on the table.. but if he is one year younger, being able to sign another 3-4 year contract might end up paying dividends..
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#11 » by QRich3 » Wed Oct 2, 2013 9:35 am

lol is he supposed to decline interviews during media day just so Lakers fans don't get their feelings hurt?
Tdot24
Pro Prospect
And1: 52

Post#12 » by Tdot24 » Wed Oct 2, 2013 2:25 pm

QRich3 wrote:

lol is he supposed to decline interviews during media day just so Lakers fans don't get their feelings hurt?

Funny, because a bunch of people get butt-hurt too whenever there is news about Kobe and the Lakers. Whether it be about Kobe's recovery time and or the Lakers signing big name players. Everybody turns everything into a conspiracy when the Lakers make moves that rattles the league.

Are the Lakers supposed to decline making trades and signing players?
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#13 » by inquisitive » Wed Oct 2, 2013 2:38 pm

he suggested it to howard after talking to JVG who still lives in houston and still has a close relationship to the rockets believe it or not. i wouldn't be surprised if JVG takes a front office position with rockets one day in the near future if he leaves ESPN.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#14 » by malgus » Wed Oct 2, 2013 2:39 pm

If Stan Van Gundy told you to jump off a bridge would you do it?

TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR DECISIONS KID
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#15 » by Donnyxc » Wed Oct 2, 2013 5:05 pm

I love how people still get mad about Dwight.

It's your own decision whether to click on and read (or not read) articles hahaha.

Plus, he's not saying Van Gundy made his decision for him.

Reporters are going to keep asking him questions, get over it.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#16 » by Mamba Venom » Wed Oct 2, 2013 6:41 pm

Huh Dwight wanted advice from the coach he asked the org to fire..

Nothing is ever normal with that guy
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
Vader
Rookie
And1: 336

Post#17 » by Vader » Wed Oct 2, 2013 7:05 pm

Will Lakers fans ever get over with it? Every Howard news seems hurting their butts and mouth.
General Manager

Post#18 » by Showtime:Part2 » Wed Oct 2, 2013 7:15 pm

Shem wrote:

i care that he thinks people still care about his move to the rockets. it's over, it's done with. happy to move on. i was advocating ditching dwight midseason last yr so i'm not sure what all these posts are about laker fans being butthurt targeted towards me. he just loves to talk about this stuff and that's what annoys me. go talk about your upcoming season if you must. he dragged out this drama for so long (since orl) and it's just old. you didn't hear lebron constantly talking about what factors went into his decision 2 months after his decision was made.
Warspite:

To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
General Manager

Post#19 » by Showtime:Part2 » Wed Oct 2, 2013 7:17 pm

it's hilarious fans from other teams keep making these cracks about laker fans being upset. nobody was upset on the lakers board when he announced his decision. the lakers org didn't send an angry letter to dwight. if anything, we were just like, ok plan b. realgm loves to find reasons to hate laker fans. if anything the rest of rgm is butthurt bc we always find a way to be relevant.
Warspite:

Heatin4
Banned User
And1: 347

Post#20 » by Heatin4 » Wed Oct 2, 2013 9:37 pm

Vader wrote:Will Lakers fans ever get over with it? Every Howard news seems hurting their butts and mouth.

Mouths' are more likely filled with something glandular along with the backsides.

Return to Wiretap Discussion