Kings Thought Rudy Gay Would Return To Form Playing With Strong Low Post Scorers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kings Thought Rudy Gay Would Return To Form Playing With Strong Low Post Scorers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Feb 5, 2014 4:08 pm

Mike Malone thought that Rudy Gay would return to his Memphis Grizzlies' form with the Sacramento Kings when playing with strong low-post players as he did with Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol.

“You look at Toronto’s roster, and no disrespect to (big men) Jonas (Valanciunas) or Amir (Johnson), but they don’t have a true low-post presence,” Malone said. “We just thought the idea of putting (Gay) on the perimeter, and pairing that with the inside presence of DeMarcus (Cousins), could really allow him to showcase his abilities.”

"The first thing (assistant coach Micah Nori) and coach Malone did was they asked me where I wanted the ball,” said Gay. “You can’t ask anything better than that.

“I just told them where I think I’d be the most effective, and he took that and ran with it, designed a couple plays for me. And the rest is history.”

Gay is averaging 20.7 points on 53 percent shooting with the Kings.

“The difference is he’s playing with bigs that can score down low,” Rose said. “That’s what he had in Memphis, (teammates who could) occupy the baseline, occupy the bigs, and it gave him lanes to drive and finish or pull up over the top.”

Via Matt Kawahara/Sacramento Bee

inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Re: Kings Thought Rudy Gay Would Return To Form Playing With 

Post#2 » by inquisitive » Wed Feb 5, 2014 4:29 pm

much more efficient player now...good for him.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,974

Post#3 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Feb 5, 2014 4:32 pm

they were right. good call. he's been beasting since the deal.

toronto's use of gay was preposterous, though.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#4 » by Donnyxc » Wed Feb 5, 2014 4:41 pm

Memphis never should have traded him.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#5 » by Rated T By CBRA » Wed Feb 5, 2014 4:43 pm

As a Raptors fan I am glad we traded him, and also glad hes found his groove back so far - loved him as a Grizzlies player, hopefully he can come back to that now that hes playing with Cousins.
speedbag
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#6 » by speedbag » Wed Feb 5, 2014 5:02 pm

Ha, he's having a nice stretch... but returning to the Rudy from the Griz.. He hasn't been productive since he's been in the league, which includes Memphis. He's having a great stretch and hopefully it continues, but they're not winning.
Narjee
Senior
And1: 627

Post#7 » by Narjee » Wed Feb 5, 2014 5:05 pm

Considering Micah Nori was an assistant with the Raps last year, I assume he would of already known where Gay like his balls.
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#8 » by IMAN5 » Wed Feb 5, 2014 6:15 pm

Things are a lot better for him in Sac town and I'm happy for the guy, but the Kings still aren't anything special.
instagram.com/510movement
Captain Tsubasa
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#9 » by Captain Tsubasa » Wed Feb 5, 2014 7:12 pm

who is rose? how did he suddenly pop up in the article? :-?
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#10 » by RoyalMajesty » Wed Feb 5, 2014 7:17 pm

This is why Mike Malone will be a good coach. He put his guys in the right position to succeed. Look at DeMarcus, Isaiah, and Rudy. They are all having a great year thanks to Mike Malone and his coaching staff. I can't imagine what the Warriors would look like right now with Mike Malone instead of Mark Jackson =/
Rhythm043
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,865

Post#11 » by Rhythm043 » Wed Feb 5, 2014 7:19 pm

Its true, Amir is very good around the basket as he's 11th in the NBA in FG% but he doesnt really have a back to basket game like Cousins. Neither does Jonas but they do convert fairly well in p&r's , putbacks etc.
On Gerald Henderson vs Derozan:
"Yes. Hendo is quite a bit better than DeMar.
So yes, I do believe he's currently the better player and do project that will continue to be in the future. I would also take Turner over DD."
--Throwback24,Jan 2014
rapslover
Ballboy

Post#12 » by rapslover » Wed Feb 5, 2014 7:20 pm

And having big teammates down-low definitely help his shooting percentage...

:wink:
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,854

Post#13 » by nikster » Wed Feb 5, 2014 9:13 pm

RoyalMajesty wrote:This is why Mike Malone will be a good coach. He put his guys in the right position to succeed. Look at DeMarcus, Isaiah, and Rudy. They are all having a great year thanks to Mike Malone and his coaching staff. I can't imagine what the Warriors would look like right now with Mike Malone instead of Mark Jackson =/

Mark Jackson has done a great job. Did you already forget he was the coach when they started turning things around?
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#14 » by RoyalMajesty » Wed Feb 5, 2014 11:51 pm

nikster wrote:
RoyalMajesty wrote:This is why Mike Malone will be a good coach. He put his guys in the right position to succeed. Look at DeMarcus, Isaiah, and Rudy. They are all having a great year thanks to Mike Malone and his coaching staff. I can't imagine what the Warriors would look like right now with Mike Malone instead of Mark Jackson =/

Mark Jackson has done a great job. Did you already forget he was the coach when they started turning things around?

He didn't do it by himself. He had Mike Malone the whole time when everything was turning around. If Mike Malone had this roster especially with Andre Iguodala, Andrew Bogut, and Draymond Green as his defensive guys, this team would be doing a lot better.
deebee
Freshman
And1: 16

Post#15 » by deebee » Thu Feb 6, 2014 12:30 am

individual good stats < winning record
dmize
Freshman
And1: 29

Post#16 » by dmize » Thu Feb 6, 2014 1:53 am

speedbag wrote:Ha, he's having a nice stretch... but returning to the Rudy from the Griz.. He hasn't been productive since he's been in the league, which includes Memphis. He's having a great stretch and hopefully it continues, but they're not winning.

Includes Memphis? Odd, I could've sworn he shot over 45% 5 consecutive seasons there.

And they aren't winning because Cousins was out.

They were near .500 with Rudy before both got hurt, compare that to the 6-16 before he got there. Which is a win considering the roster the Kings have..

Do you ppl even watch basketball or just like jumping on the "hate on Rudy Gay" reactionary bandwagon?
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,854

Post#17 » by nikster » Thu Feb 6, 2014 5:31 am

RoyalMajesty wrote:
nikster wrote:

He didn't do it by himself. He had Mike Malone the whole time when everything was turning around. If Mike Malone had this roster especially with Andre Iguodala, Andrew Bogut, and Draymond Green as his defensive guys, this team would be doing a lot better.

Of course he had help, but as head coach he is a great record
Kings still arent winning many games btw
AndrettiFamily
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#18 » by AndrettiFamily » Thu Feb 6, 2014 2:38 pm

Donnyxc wrote:Memphis never should have traded him.

trades done for cap relief are usually cancerous, ie harden trade
memphis would have had a crazy good team if gay was allowed to continue growing there along with hollins as a coach
samjones
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#19 » by samjones » Thu Feb 6, 2014 3:01 pm

TRADE HIM WHILE HIS VALUE IS HIGH
jdlee86
Ballboy

Post#20 » by jdlee86 » Thu Feb 6, 2014 3:19 pm

Agree with the guys below. From and individual stat and fantasy perspective, the Sactown big 3 are having a great year, but the Kings still have a losing record (they are like 12-19 since the Gay trade, whereas Toronto has a winning record) while you look at the Spurs dealing with so many injuries but still staying amongst the top 3 in the West. Malone might be a decent coach but I think his team needs to improve their defense and also stop leading the league in fouls committed.

Return to Wiretap Discussion