NBL To Add Second Team In Melbourne

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

NBL To Add Second Team In Melbourne 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:52 am

The NBL in Australia has begun the process of adding a second team in Melbourne for the 15-16 season.

The NBL are looking for a second Melbourne team in the South East Melbourne area and are open to possibly reviving the old South East Melbourne Magic name.

Chris Anstey, Sam Mackinnon, Rob Rose, Adonis Jordan and Bruce Bolden played for the Magic.

Beyond the second Melbourne team, the NBL also have plans for Canberra, Brisbane and Hobart to re-enter the league.

Via AndTheFoul.net

andoi_25
Ballboy
And1: 2

Re: NBL To Add Second Team In Melbourne 

Post#2 » by andoi_25 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:16 am

Being an Australian basketball fan born and raised in Melbourne (now living abroad and traveled through most of the USA), I think the NBL needs to do a lot more work in marketing the country's own league before they start adding more teams. If you ask your average Australian, I bet they'd be able to name more NBA teams than NBL teams; which is a shame because if people gave the NBL a chance, they'd love it too. They need to find a way to stand out from other prominent sports in the country like Australian Rules Football (which Americans reading this should really Youtube), Rugby and Cricket. Especially now that the passion for basketball amongst youth is beginning to develop.
Art Vaandelay
Freshman
And1: 35

Re: NBL To Add Second Team In Melbourne 

Post#3 » by Art Vaandelay » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:40 am

They have been doing a better job in recent years and I believe the league and sport is experiencing growth. It helps that the popularity of the NBA has exploded for sure.

Return to Wiretap Discussion