Carmelo Likes Phil Jackson's Direction Of Knicks

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Carmelo Likes Phil Jackson's Direction Of Knicks 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:30 pm

Carmelo Anthony declined to address his future plans on Wednesday, but he expressed how pleased he was with his meeting last week with Phil Jackson, Derek Fisher and Steve Mills.

“It was a great meeting with Phil,” Anthony said at a rooftop bar in the Meatpacking District. “It went well.”

Anthony is expected to be pursued by the Miami Heat, Chicago Bulls and Houston Rockets, while the New York Knicks would like to retain him.

“I like what Phil is doing,” Anthony said.

Anthony doesn't want to spend another year rebuilding, according to a source.

Via Frank Isola/New York Dail Nyews

Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Re: Carmelo Likes Phil Jackson's Direction Of Knicks 

Post#2 » by Rated T By CBRA » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:13 pm

Time is a tickin' - no rings, only scoring titles. Can the Knicks be contenders this upcoming season? I don't see it happening, but who knows...maybe Phil and Fisher can pull of some crazy moves
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#3 » by Donnyxc » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:25 pm

Nothing right now indicates Melo will stay. Knicks need to act quickly. Words only go so far.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#4 » by Leto » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:01 pm

Hard to say what that direction is. They have no assets.
YoungFashioned
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#5 » by YoungFashioned » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:25 pm

He's leaving.
10acious
Junior
And1: 13

Post#6 » by 10acious » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:06 pm

“I like what Phil is doing,” Anthony said.

Phil hasn't done anything yet. Signed Lamar Odom, Hired Kerr, Hired Fisher. What on earth is Anthony talking about?
caronimo
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#7 » by caronimo » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:17 pm

he's still opting out
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,965

Post#8 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:37 pm

10acious wrote:“I like what Phil is doing,” Anthony said.

Phil hasn't done anything yet. Signed Lamar Odom, Hired Kerr, Hired Fisher. What on earth is Anthony talking about?

hired kerr? what on earth are YOU talking about?
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#9 » by moocow007 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:57 pm

Donnyxc wrote:Nothing right now indicates Melo will stay. Knicks need to act quickly. Words only go so far.

129,000,000 reasons says he'll stay. If money is important he's not passing up on about $35 million. If it's not then he'll leave.
teebonze
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#10 » by teebonze » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:55 pm

Ron Mexico wrote:
10acious wrote:“I like what Phil is doing,” Anthony said.

hired kerr? what on earth are YOU talking about?

He is talking about how Phil claims that Kerr gave them a verbal commitment to be the Knicks coach before he accepted the Warriors job.
What you know about Dirk’s leadership skills is non existent. You don’t have a clue. Your ability to evaluate leadership skills….well you obviously have an overinflated value of your own. Did you take business classes at Marquette?
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,162

Post#11 » by Thorn » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:31 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Donnyxc wrote:Nothing right now indicates Melo will stay. Knicks need to act quickly. Words only go so far.

129,000,000 reasons says he'll stay. If money is important he's not passing up on about $35 million. If it's not then he'll leave.

This.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#12 » by alienpick » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:21 am

moocow007 wrote:

no taxes in MIami or Dallas... he will easily make that 35 mill back signing in a tax free state
crazymaso
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#13 » by crazymaso » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:26 am

alienpick wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

no taxes in MIami or Dallas... he will easily make that 35 mill back signing in a tax free state

Looking at the tax brackets for NY - the estimated tax with no deductions you would pay to NY is 1.8M a year. That is assuming an income of 20M. Now keep in mind that is with ZERO tax deductions.

So I guess people need to tell me what the whole hype is surrounding everyone saying "income tax free state" and claiming it will make up for the money lost on the table.
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#14 » by arasu » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:25 am

crazymaso wrote:
alienpick wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Looking at the tax brackets for NY - the estimated tax with no deductions you would pay to NY is 1.8M a year. That is assuming an income of 20M. Now keep in mind that is with ZERO tax deductions.

So I guess people need to tell me what the whole hype is surrounding everyone saying "income tax free state" and claiming it will make up for the money lost on the table.

The max raises can be partly eaten up by taxes, though the extra year is injury insurance.

Carmelo will probably sign a max-length deal starting at $20 to $23.5 million. Then he could opt out in 3 years, if he plays consistently at a high level. If he signs another max deal at 3 years after the opt out, it would amount to 6 years total at max salary.

6 years with the Knicks, starting at $23.5 M with max raises: ~ $169 million

6 years with other team, starting at $23.5 M with max raises: ~ $162 million

If the tax difference is 1/2 a million per year, it leaves a difference of $4 million

If a major injury or loss of production would occur before the opt-out clause, the player opt-out probably would not be exercised. And it would mean by not signing a 5-year deal with the Knicks, Anthony would lose ~30 M.
crazymaso
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#15 » by crazymaso » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:50 pm

arasu wrote:
crazymaso wrote:
alienpick wrote:

The max raises can be partly eaten up by taxes, though the extra year is injury insurance.

Carmelo will probably sign a max-length deal starting at $20 to $23.5 million. Then he could opt out in 3 years, if he plays consistently at a high level. If he signs another max deal at 3 years after the opt out, it would amount to 6 years total at max salary.

If the tax difference is 1/2 a million per year, it leaves a difference of $4 million

If a major injury or loss of production would occur before the opt-out clause, the player opt-out probably would not be exercised.

Just to be clear on a couple of things; Melo's max potential contract would be $22.5 million next year. I also doubt him getting a 3 year max deal at the age of 33..so your example isn't exactly the best.

arasu wrote:And it would mean by not signing a 5-year deal with the Knicks, Anthony would lose ~30 M.

That's sort of what I am saying..I don't understand why people continually talk about how an income tax free state would make up for money lost by signing a smaller contract. If it's 1-3M less a year, then yeah of course. But otherwise it doesn't make any sense.
saltybs
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#16 » by saltybs » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:01 pm

crazymaso wrote:
arasu wrote:
crazymaso wrote:

If a major injury or loss of production would occur before the opt-out clause, the player opt-out probably would not be exercised.

Just to be clear on a couple of things; Melo's max potential contract would be $22.5 million next year. I also doubt him getting a 3 year max deal at the age of 33..so your example isn't exactly the best.

arasu wrote:And it would mean by not signing a 5-year deal with the Knicks, Anthony would lose ~30 M.

That's sort of what I am saying..I don't understand why people continually talk about how an income tax free state would make up for money lost by signing a smaller contract. If it's 1-3M less a year, then yeah of course. But otherwise it doesn't make any sense.

I didn't know RealGM has a tax attorney on retainer. Those ads on the side of my page must be paying $traight caSh homie!!!
skflives
Banned User
And1: 281

Post#17 » by skflives » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:40 pm

alienpick wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Ummm, no. Tax free states will help ease the burden somewhat but lets not go overboard here. Its only state income tax he'd be extempt from. He'd still have to pay Federal income tax and that's always the much bigger tax.
skflives
Banned User
And1: 281

Post#18 » by skflives » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:15 am

double post.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#19 » by alienpick » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:33 am

skflives wrote:
alienpick wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Ummm, no. Tax free states will help ease the burden somewhat but lets not go overboard here. Its only state income tax he'd be extempt from. He'd still have to pay Federal income tax and that's always the much bigger tax.

ah I see
brooklynoxy
Senior
And1: 121

Post#20 » by brooklynoxy » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:03 pm

Rated T By CBRA wrote:Time is a tickin' - no rings, only scoring titles. Can the Knicks be contenders this upcoming season? I don't see it happening, but who knows...maybe Phil and Fisher can pull of some crazy moves

This is what happens when you believe everything you read and forget the facts:

1) Amar'e and Tyson are now both 100% healthy and are in their "walk" years. Chandler has trade value and there are a few trade scenarios that have yet to be discussed which would greatly help the Knicks. One of the major reasons Woodson was fired was his refusal to play Stat earlier in the season. Amar'e is poised to have an all-star season this upcoming season so the Knicks can potentially be at their strongest with their own "Big Three".

2) New York has one glaring deficit on their roster and this is Ray Felton. He isn't in shape to defend other PGs and I believe that Jackson and Fish are going to get a middle to late First Rounder for next week's draft. My gut tells me that they may go for a PG or select a player for another team and make a package up of Shump and the pick to acquire Toronto's PG. Lowry is not a prototype PJ point, but he would easily be the best point guard on the Knicks roster.

3) If you put things into proper prospective, New York had an awful season, butt why was it awful? If you are an objective fan of this team, look at missed minutes lost due to injury to major players on the squad. Our "Big Three" was hit hard during the first week of the season with Tyson Chandler's foot. Amar'e didn't need as much time as Knick doctors thought and had Stat played next to Melo without a minutes restriction all season, he would have been good for 18 ppg and 10 rpg. Woodson could have then used Bargnani (during Chandler's injury) at the traditional PF or Center position.

4) Shump and J.R. started slowly last season and neither was in proper basketball shape. Shump's a$$ is always on the trading block due to his inconsistent shooting, and all Knick fans should be thrilled with Tim Hardaway's all-rookie year last season and this kid is going to be an all-star. I wish New York can ship Smith somewhere out West for a First Rounder, but no one wants the guy.

5) Carmelo is far from a perfect player. The guy is 30 years old and how many Knick fans want to see this guy signed to a 5 year Max or near Max deal which will end when Anthony is 35 years old?

6) In the summers of 2015 and 2016, New York can potentially have enough cap room available to sign 3 MAX FREE AGENTS plus have their exceptions available. I based this on Larry Coon's 2015 Cap Calculations and took out Carmelo Anthony, Ray Felton (No way will he be on NY at this time), and Iman Shumpert. Of course, New York has a First Rounder in 2015 and 2016, but assuming that these picks are in the 20s, the shouldn't amount to more than $3.5 million. It is also safe to assume that the Knicks will trade one of these picks in a future deal.

So, would you rather have a 35 year old Melo and possibly one other notable free agent or the chance for 3 superb players, including Kevin Durant who is free to leave OKC in 2016? Some of the names which will be available in 2015 include K-Love (If he is not traded this year) as well as Rondo, who will need this season to prove his worth to his suitors in the following year.

I want Kevin Durant plus 2 other younger, more talented players than Carmelo on my Knicks team.
"You have to respect your coach. I know LeBron's a great player, but I think he stepped over the line." Walt "Clyde" Frazier

Return to Wiretap Discussion