Nets, Cavaliers In Talks To Swap Marcus Thornton For Jarrett Jack

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Nets, Cavaliers In Talks To Swap Marcus Thornton For Jarrett Jack 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:26 pm

The Brooklyn Nets are in talks to swap Marcus Thornton for Jarrett Jack of the Cleveland Cavaliers, according to sources.

The Nets have targeted Jack to improve their depth at point guard. Thornton has one season left on his contract while Jack has two guaranteed years remaining plus a partially guaranteed deal for the 2016-17 season.

The Nets are fearful that Shaun Livingston will receive a too rich contract from another team in free agency. Brooklyn can offer Livingston as much as a three-year, $10 million contract.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

Koshermamba
Freshman
And1: 7

Re: Nets, Cavaliers In Talks To Swap Marcus Thornton For Jar 

Post#2 » by Koshermamba » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:13 am

If Jack can bounce back from last season and have the type of year he did when he was in Golden State he'll be a huge asset if D-Will has more ankle issues. Good for Brooklyn, not sure how Thornton fits into Cleveland's plans and Blatt's system.

Kyrie, Dion Waiters, and whomever Cleveland selects number one will take away a lot of Thornton's touches. If Thornton can lead the second unit alongside whomever Blatt chooses then there is the possibility for mutual benefit on both sides of the trade.
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,717

Post#3 » by slicedbread2 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:26 am

Koshermamba wrote:If Jack can bounce back from last season and have the type of year he did when he was in Golden State he'll be a huge asset if D-Will has more ankle issues. Good for Brooklyn, not sure how Thornton fits into Cleveland's plans and Blatt's system.

Kyrie, Dion Waiters, and whomever Cleveland selects number one will take away a lot of Thornton's touches. If Thornton can lead the second unit alongside whomever Blatt chooses then there is the possibility for mutual benefit on both sides of the trade.

I don't think it matters really what happens. For Cleveland, they are doing this deal because it gets them an expiring in Thornton and they should let him walk since he really isn't much now and his only value is that of an expiring. Jack is nice, but he's not a great fit right now with Cleveland who's in limbo right now. His deal goes into 2016/17 and is only guaranteed for 500 grand on the last year. Either way, it's a good deal for both parties plus the Nets know that Livingston will most likely go elsewhere to get a big deal due to the leg injury that robbed him of millions.
Pedro
Senior
And1: 58

Post#4 » by Pedro » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:13 am

All this talk of the Cavs looking at adding shooting guards tells me theyre still considering trading Dion Waiters, which many people seem to have forgotten that the Cavs have been trying to unload him for a while. Personally, they should give Blatt a shot at starting him with Irving and seeing if he can make them play cohesively before trading him. Dont forget they can draft a potentially more consistent SG in this draft and trade Waiters to improve their imbalanced roster.
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#5 » by DJ3thenew23 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:15 am

They need to trade Dion first. It's obvious two young guards who both need to ball to be effective won't work. Trade Dion for a better catch and shoot guy, that way you can develop Kyrie with whoever they pick this year and Thompson as their big 3.
zeebo wrote:Is winning championships really that important?

olive_triangurl wrote:If i had to meet LeBron i'd go straight to the hypnotist to get my conscious memory wiped afterward (sadly it'd still be in my subconscious memory, as everything is, even past lives).
Pedro
Senior
And1: 58

Post#6 » by Pedro » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:36 am

DJ3thenew23 wrote:They need to trade Dion first. It's obvious two young guards who both need to ball to be effective won't work. Trade Dion for a better catch and shoot guy, that way you can develop Kyrie with whoever they pick this year and Thompson as their big 3.

I agree with all your points except Tristan Thompson being option three. He has yet to prove to be consistent or a go-to option but I dont think he needs to be. Keeping Hawes would be wise but I dont see it happening unless Blatt has a real say in it as Hawes would allow him to run a very European style of basketball. Cleveland just has so many question marks that its hard to tell which direction they may go.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#7 » by Fresh360Waves » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:00 am

Question is would Brooklyn be getting the Portland/Golden State Jarrett Jack?
TV63
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#8 » by TV63 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:51 pm

First of all, this article is about Jack getting traded not Waiters. Waiters isn’t going anywhere. He has proven himself and his shooting % and leadership has greatly improved. Dude can flat out pass the ball better than anyone on that team and shoot lights out when Kyrie was out. Now back to Jack. He will vastly improve under any new coach not named Mike Brown. If anyone on that team has a problem playing worse with Kyrie on the floor; it’s Jack.
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#9 » by DJ3thenew23 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:44 pm

Pedro wrote:
DJ3thenew23 wrote:They need to trade Dion first. It's obvious two young guards who both need to ball to be effective won't work. Trade Dion for a better catch and shoot guy, that way you can develop Kyrie with whoever they pick this year and Thompson as their big 3.

I agree with all your points except Tristan Thompson being option three. He has yet to prove to be consistent or a go-to option but I dont think he needs to be. Keeping Hawes would be wise but I dont see it happening unless Blatt has a real say in it as Hawes would allow him to run a very European style of basketball. Cleveland just has so many question marks that its hard to tell which direction they may go.

He improved his rebounding in his second year and became more of a presence inside this year. I think if he can develop a good mid-range jumper he can be a solid PF as their third option. Hawes played pretty well after the trade, so keeping him would be a good move. But, he isn't getting any younger and at some point they need Thompson or some other young big to step up. However, if Blatt wants to run a european offense, he could still do that with Hawes and Thompson, and have Zeller and another shooting big on the bench. In that case, Thompson just needs to be more consistent like you said and keep getting better inside. I like how he has improved in something each year and I just think if he gets a chance he can be effective on that team.
zeebo wrote:Is winning championships really that important?

olive_triangurl wrote:If i had to meet LeBron i'd go straight to the hypnotist to get my conscious memory wiped afterward (sadly it'd still be in my subconscious memory, as everything is, even past lives).

Return to Wiretap Discussion