Raptors Trade Steve Novak To Jazz

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Raptors Trade Steve Novak To Jazz 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jul 4, 2014 8:39 pm

The Toronto Raptors have traded Steve Novak to the Utah Jazz.

Novak was acquired last offseason by the Raptors from the New York Knicks.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports

Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Re: Raptors Trade Steve Novak To Jazz 

Post#2 » by Bentley1225 » Fri Jul 4, 2014 8:42 pm

2nd round pick?
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#3 » by Rated T By CBRA » Fri Jul 4, 2014 8:43 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:2nd round pick?

Most likely if they don't even mention what he was traded for...
zeebo
Junior
And1: 27

Post#4 » by zeebo » Fri Jul 4, 2014 9:05 pm

Can we amnesty Fields at 8.5 mil and potentially sign a bigger FA like Bosh or Monroe? Its clear this was a cap clearing trade to free up some space.
DJ3thenew23 says:

"I love Lebron and will follow him anywhere. Don't hate me cause I bandwagon Lebron anywhere he goes. I used to be a Cavs fan!
pkiskool
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#5 » by pkiskool » Fri Jul 4, 2014 9:12 pm

If we end up with one more solid "spice" addition (i.e. Vince), Masai has to win the EOY.
HolyMage110
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#6 » by HolyMage110 » Fri Jul 4, 2014 9:13 pm

zeebo wrote:Can we amnesty Fields at 8.5 mil and potentially sign a bigger FA like Bosh or Monroe? Its clear this was a cap clearing trade to free up some space.

nahs
caronimo
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#7 » by caronimo » Fri Jul 4, 2014 9:14 pm

zeebo wrote:Can we amnesty Fields at 8.5 mil and potentially sign a bigger FA like Bosh or Monroe? Its clear this was a cap clearing trade to free up some space.

raptors already used their amnesty provision on Linas Kleiza.
Flyologist
Banned User
And1: 395

Post#8 » by Flyologist » Fri Jul 4, 2014 9:22 pm

Can't amnesty Fields his contract was past the new CBA and we used ours on Kleiza
JazzMatt13
Analyst

Post#9 » by JazzMatt13 » Fri Jul 4, 2014 10:46 pm

Not bad, but I don't see why Jazz are clogging up the SF spot, cause we should be focusing on getting a new Center to replace Big Al, not Richard Jefferson. Bottom line Hayward and Evans don't need help.

First it was Raja Bell, then Marvin Williams, then Richard Jefferson, and now Steve Novak. Evans will never get the role he wants. No matter how high he jumps, how well he improves, or how committed he is to the team, he is destined to be underrated by the league. He is like Milsap 2.0, yet were likely to not utilize him correctly, and when he leaves he will become a starting player for a great team.
BasketballJosh
Junior
And1: 35

Post#10 » by BasketballJosh » Fri Jul 4, 2014 11:17 pm

JazzMatt13 wrote:Not bad, but I don't see why Jazz are clogging up the SF spot, cause we should be focusing on getting a new Center to replace Big Al, not Richard Jefferson. Bottom line Hayward and Evans don't need help.

First it was Raja Bell, then Marvin Williams, then Richard Jefferson, and now Steve Novak. Evans will never get the role he wants. No matter how high he jumps, how well he improves, or how committed he is to the team, he is destined to be underrated by the league. He is like Milsap 2.0, yet were likely to not utilize him correctly, and when he leaves he will become a starting player for a great team.

Steve Novak isn't a SF. He's a stretch-4/5.
BJaysRaps
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,729

Post#11 » by BJaysRaps » Fri Jul 4, 2014 11:21 pm

BasketballJosh wrote:
JazzMatt13 wrote:Not bad, but I don't see why Jazz are clogging up the SF spot, cause we should be focusing on getting a new Center to replace Big Al, not Richard Jefferson. Bottom line Hayward and Evans don't need help.

this guy doesnt hv a position cause he doesnt play D nor does he have handles lol
BallDontLie_
Sophomore
And1: 84

Post#12 » by BallDontLie_ » Sat Jul 5, 2014 12:03 am

pkiskool wrote:If we end up with one more solid "spice" addition (i.e. Vince), Masai has to win the EOY.

Summer league hasn't even started and you wanna give him an end-of-season award already? Alright.
strudel forever
Senior
And1: 294

Post#13 » by strudel forever » Sat Jul 5, 2014 12:09 am

ritchiesli wrote:
BasketballJosh wrote:

this guy doesnt hv a position cause he doesnt play D nor does he have handles lol

This. Watching him try to guard 4s was a complete nightmare, and it was an even bigger disaster when he got stuck guarding the perimeter.
ChuckyFE
Junior
And1: 406

Post#14 » by ChuckyFE » Sat Jul 5, 2014 12:22 am

caronimo wrote:

raptors already used their amnesty provision on Linas Kleiza.

Plus I'm sure Fields was signed AFTER the new CBA agreement which, as far as I'm aware, you can only amnesty players that were already under contract at that time. Which pretty much means that within the next year or so, no players would be under a contract that had been signed since then since people shouldn't have a contract that lasts any longer than 5 years.
DUHON to others as they DUHON to you.
sweetcity
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,289

Post#15 » by sweetcity » Sat Jul 5, 2014 1:27 am

what a complete steal by Masai! Novak is terrible defensively
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#16 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Sat Jul 5, 2014 1:30 am

Evans could be a solid player of the bench, but he hasn't proven anything yet to be a starter quality player. Hopefully he gets a chance this season to prove you right. I doubt Novak takes minutes unless its for the occasional play near the end of a game.
Credits to Jstock12
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Post#17 » by LiSTWithLani » Sat Jul 5, 2014 2:48 am

Good deal to add another $3M to our cap to give us roughly 6-7M of room before the tax threshold after signing Vasquez.

In related news: #GoRapsGo
JazzMatt13
Analyst

Post#18 » by JazzMatt13 » Sat Jul 5, 2014 6:06 am

TdotRap4Lyfe wrote:

Evans could be a solid player of the bench, but he hasn't proven anything yet to be a starter quality player. Hopefully he gets a chance this season to prove you right. I doubt Novak takes minutes unless its for the occasional play near the end of a game.

I said same thing about Richard Jefferson. Not that Evans is gonna start, but if someone is starter or bench, that leaves him as 3rd string for rotation, he will be lucky to get much more than 20 minutes per game, not to mention a full 82 games.
damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Post#19 » by damecurry » Sat Jul 5, 2014 6:55 am

I don't get this for Utah at all. Garrett was arguably a better player than Novak last year and is a young prospect. What do the Jazz want to overpay a 31 year old for? This move makes sense for the raps but seems to be the opposite of the type of thing Jazz should be looking for to me.
zeebo
Junior
And1: 27

Post#20 » by zeebo » Sat Jul 5, 2014 11:54 am

damecurry wrote:I don't get this for Utah at all. Garrett was arguably a better player than Novak last year and is a young prospect. What do the Jazz want to overpay a 31 year old for? This move makes sense for the raps but seems to be the opposite of the type of thing Jazz should be looking for to me.

Raps GM always wins trades. Tell me a trade Masai has lost? He won the melo trade, bargnani, gay, drafte faried with 20th pick, iggy??, and now novak.
DJ3thenew23 says:

"I love Lebron and will follow him anywhere. Don't hate me cause I bandwagon Lebron anywhere he goes. I used to be a Cavs fan!

Return to Wiretap Discussion