Anthony Davis 'Loves' Situation With Pelicans

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Anthony Davis 'Loves' Situation With Pelicans 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:05 pm

Anthony Davis believes that the New Orleans Pelicans are on the "right path" and is confident they will make the postseason this year.

"We know what we got in this locker room," Davis said. "We know what direction we want to go in and our identity to be."

The Pelicans are 7-6 this season.

Davis is pleased with his current situation with the Pelicans. Davis will make $7 million in the final year of his rookie contract, but is eligible for a maximum contract extension next summer that could be worth about $90 million over five years. If he is not signed to an extension prior to the start of the 2015-16 season, he will be a restricted free agent in July 2016.

"I love it here in New Orleans," Davis said. "Great city. Great atmosphere. …We're getting the fans back and New Orleans back buzzing for the Pelicans, a great organization. I love my team here.

"We're definitely moving in the right direction. I don't know what the future holds, but right now I'm definitely loving the team and the organization."

Via Marc J. Spears/Yahoo! Sports

DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Re: Anthony Davis 'Loves' Situation With Pelicans 

Post#2 » by DEEP3CL » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:29 pm

Glad that a player is finally putting that out there like that. The Pels still need a few pieces but Davis is right, they're heading in the right place.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,217

Post#3 » by LLJ » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:40 pm

New Orleans fans should be very happy. This guy is the future of the NBA.
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#4 » by Rated T By CBRA » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:52 pm

Stay healthy young fella, and great things will happen in New Orleans!
2thehoopand1
Starter
And1: 775

Post#5 » by 2thehoopand1 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:17 pm

He's the "Guy" right now what's not to like
Eaglenugget wrote:We got Bosh!!!' Not Discounted!! Lmfao
Narjee
Senior
And1: 627

Post#6 » by Narjee » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:18 pm

This guy is already scary great, he'll be terrifyingly phenomenal in a couple years.
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#7 » by BramptonYute » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:38 pm

His head looks freakishly small in that picture
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#8 » by Bentley1225 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:39 pm

Once they address their SG spot (Gordon just isnt a fit) and build up greater depth, this team will be top 4 in the west for years to come starting in 2015-2016 season.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#9 » by Sam195 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:02 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:Glad that a player is finally putting that out there like that. The Pels still need a few pieces but Davis is right, they're heading in the right place.

I think a lot of those words Davis just mentioned were rehearsed with his agent prior. Davis was lucky that during his rookie season he got to see first hand how the Eric Gordon situation went down. Eric Gordon like most young all star caliber players (he was one before the recurring injuries) wants to play on max contracts for big market contending teams (to gain exposure and endorsement income). Pelicans offered eric gordon the 5 year 80M max extension and he turned it down to sign a shorter 4 year 58M offer sheet with the suns and made it publicly known he didn't want NO to match but they still did anyways. So Gordon ended up creating a PR nigthtmare for himself facing backlash from fans while also losing out on an extra guaranteed contract year and 22M (a decision he will regret his entire life because of his fall from grace physically). I have a strong belief that AD is watching derrick rose and the chicago bulls very closely. If davis does what Greg Monroe did this past summer and play out his qualifying offer after his rookie deal - he can be a ufa in 2017 (when bulls have max cap space with derrick rose and pau gasol' contracts expiring) and sign with his hometown team for max money (tv deal will also amke it worth his while) and likely his most marketable destination. Davis is one of the few players in the nba who love playing defense while still being a dominant offensive threat - davis and coach thibs would be a match made in heaven.
Flight33
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,887

Post#10 » by Flight33 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:57 pm

Doesn't seem like the type of guy that will leave for greener pastures.
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Post#11 » by ADDinChicago » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:50 pm

Flight33 wrote:Doesn't seem like the type of guy that will leave for greener pastures.

I think a lot would depend on the "greener pasture". For example if he could go home to Chicago. Maybe not the kind of guy to take big money in a Charlotte or Philadelphia, etc.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#12 » by DEEP3CL » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:50 am

Sam195 wrote:I think a lot of those words Davis just mentioned were rehearsed with his agent prior. Davis was lucky that during his rookie season he got to see first hand how the Eric Gordon situation went down. Eric Gordon like most young all star caliber players (he was one before the recurring injuries) wants to play on max contracts for big market contending teams (to gain exposure and endorsement income). Pelicans offered eric gordon the 5 year 80M max extension and he turned it down to sign a shorter 4 year 58M offer sheet with the suns and made it publicly known he didn't want NO to match but they still did anyways. So Gordon ended up creating a PR nigthtmare for himself facing backlash from fans while also losing out on an extra guaranteed contract year and 22M (a decision he will regret his entire life because of his fall from grace physically).;
You make very valid points and I agree with a lot of what you've stated. But we have to remember where NO was prior to that. Gordon was on pace for All Star level, when AD came Gordon had no idea how good he would become.

Sam195 wrote: I have a strong belief that AD is watching derrick rose and the chicago bulls very closely. If davis does what Greg Monroe did this past summer and play out his qualifying offer after his rookie deal - he can be a ufa in 2017 (when bulls have max cap space with derrick rose and pau gasol' contracts expiring) and sign with his hometown team for max money (tv deal will also amke it worth his while) and likely his most marketable destination. Davis is one of the few players in the nba who love playing defense while still being a dominant offensive threat - davis and coach thibs would be a match made in heaven.
I thought I may have been the only one peeping this out, after all he is from Chicago and one could argue that maybe that teams window is slowly closing in regards to the team being centered around Rose. Like you mentioned with cap space and maybe AD playing the Monroe card ( which many thought was a gamble, but I thought was a genius move on Greg's part ) he could land in the Windy city real soon.

But I also believe the league has changes in terms of what type of revenue players can earn off the floor. I don't think AD has to leave NO to capitalize on that aspect, that's more so his reps job to expand his brand off the floor. He's a likable dude so I can see him having success no matter where he is. But no doubt he'd blow up in his own hometown.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#13 » by Sam195 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:11 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
Sam195 wrote:I think a lot of those words Davis just mentioned were rehearsed with his agent prior. Davis was lucky that during his rookie season he got to see first hand how the Eric Gordon situation went down. Eric Gordon like most young all star caliber players (he was one before the recurring injuries) wants to play on max contracts for big market contending teams (to gain exposure and endorsement income). Pelicans offered eric gordon the 5 year 80M max extension and he turned it down to sign a shorter 4 year 58M offer sheet with the suns and made it publicly known he didn't want NO to match but they still did anyways. So Gordon ended up creating a PR nigthtmare for himself facing backlash from fans while also losing out on an extra guaranteed contract year and 22M (a decision he will regret his entire life because of his fall from grace physically).;
You make very valid points and I agree with a lot of what you've stated. But we have to remember where NO was prior to that. Gordon was on pace for All Star level, when AD came Gordon had no idea how good he would become.

Sam195 wrote: I have a strong belief that AD is watching derrick rose and the chicago bulls very closely. If davis does what Greg Monroe did this past summer and play out his qualifying offer after his rookie deal - he can be a ufa in 2017 (when bulls have max cap space with derrick rose and pau gasol' contracts expiring) and sign with his hometown team for max money (tv deal will also amke it worth his while) and likely his most marketable destination. Davis is one of the few players in the nba who love playing defense while still being a dominant offensive threat - davis and coach thibs would be a match made in heaven.
I thought I may have been the only one peeping this out, after all he is from Chicago and one could argue that maybe that teams window is slowly closing in regards to the team being centered around Rose. Like you mentioned with cap space and maybe AD playing the Monroe card ( which many thought was a gamble, but I thought was a genius move on Greg's part ) he could land in the Windy city real soon.

But I also believe the league has changes in terms of what type of revenue players can earn off the floor. I don't think AD has to leave NO to capitalize on that aspect, that's more so his reps job to expand his brand off the floor. He's a likable dude so I can see him having success no matter where he is. But no doubt he'd blow up in his own hometown.

Eric Gordon knew how good Davis potentially would be and most of the league knew it as well. Davis was selected to the 2012 olympic team even before his nba career began. Davis was touted as the best two-way player to come out of college basket-ball since hakeem olajuwon (if you don't count greg oden). Davis was also know throughout hs and college to have a great work ethic both on the court and in the classroom - these traits were what made him so desirable (more teams tanked for him than wiggins in 2012). Davis is in the third year of his career and is already the 3rd best player in the game by a mile if he can become a better passer and score more - he will soon surpass durant and lebron.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#14 » by DEEP3CL » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:41 am

Sam195 wrote:
Eric Gordon knew how good Davis potentially would be and most of the league knew it as well. Davis was selected to the 2012 olympic team even before his nba career began. Davis was touted as the best two-way player to come out of college basket-ball since hakeem olajuwon (if you don't count greg oden). Davis was also know throughout hs and college to have a great work ethic both on the court and in the classroom - these traits were what made him so desirable (more teams tanked for him than wiggins in 2012). Davis is in the third year of his career and is already the 3rd best player in the game by a mile if he can become a better passer and score more - he will soon surpass durant and lebron.
True....I think Gordon was so obsessed on leaving NO he probably didn't give it any thought on AD. As to your assessment of him surpassing Durant and Lebron in due time, I think he's surpass Durant already because he can affect the game in two ways now with his scoring and defense. He's the already the 2nd leading score in the league and the Pels really don't run specific sets for him yet. As far as passing Lebron yeah I agree his passing will have to get better to surpass him. I believe it will once they really tailor their offense around him. Durant and LJ may score more fluidly than he does right now, but in time I think that will certainly come. But I have him over KD solely on his defense, even if he's not scoring big he can totally effect the opponents ability to score. KD doesn't have that strength in his game.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#15 » by JazzMatt13 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:55 am

Davis is type of guy you never let get away. People wonder why there isn't many players who spend their careers well its because everyone isn't as good as a Stockton, Havlicek, McHale, or Bird. Dirk is a shining example of why you don't let great players get away. Of course there is still those types who play their whole career, except maybe a season or 2 like Laimbeer, but played their best with their main team.

Davis will probably be the only in this current generation that will be that type of player. Of course with CBA making players greedy and current ways that super stars do things, I wouldn't be surprised to see Davis waltz to LA or something for money and "ring chasing". Like Lebron who acts like he loves Cleveland and is this high status citizen who is better than everyone, when really he was selfish and left for rings, left his team in dust, rather than stick it out and be the man he pretends to be for Cleveland, he betrayed them so hard, I would hate to see NO get gutted, and delay development for 4 years, no one really cared about Cleveland, so wasn't a real big issue that they would go into playoff drought.

Davis will hit that road, and I hope he stays a Pelican. It wouldn't matter though, NO doesn't need Davis to be considered a real city. But Davis's popularity will be great whether in NO or Salt Lake.
olive_triangurl
Banned User
And1: 607

Post#16 » by olive_triangurl » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:22 pm

Davis is the only big scorer in today's NBA with steals AND blocks on a Jordan/Olajuwon
level-

1986-87 Jordan: 37.1ppg 2.9spg 1.5bpg
1987-88 Jordan: 35.0ppg 3.2spg 1.6bpg
1988-89 Olajuwon: 24.8ppg 2.6spg 3.4bpg
1989-90 Olajuwon: 24.3ppg 2.1spg 4.6bpg
2014-15 Davis: 25.4ppg 2.1spg 3.4bpg

Jordan/Olajuwon both won Defensive Player Of The Year, and so will Davis.
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#17 » by DJ3thenew23 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:39 pm

olive_triangurl wrote:Davis is the only big scorer in today's NBA with steals AND blocks on a Jordan/Olajuwon
level-

Of course he is, 3/5 of the top 5 scorers don't play defense.
zeebo wrote:Is winning championships really that important?

olive_triangurl wrote:If i had to meet LeBron i'd go straight to the hypnotist to get my conscious memory wiped afterward (sadly it'd still be in my subconscious memory, as everything is, even past lives).
Hotmayo
Bench Warmer
And1: 319

Post#18 » by Hotmayo » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:08 pm

Steroids help me become great.

-
Anthony Davis
Hotmayo is an animal

Reggie Jackson Blows
buckbuck
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#19 » by buckbuck » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:50 pm

Idk, I think Marc Gasol is in that convo. He doesn't stuff his stats as much but he's a defensive presence.

DJ3thenew23 wrote:
olive_triangurl wrote:Davis is the only big scorer in today's NBA with steals AND blocks on a Jordan/Olajuwon
level-

Of course he is, 3/5 of the top 5 scorers don't play defense.
Tdot24
Pro Prospect
And1: 52

Post#20 » by Tdot24 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:31 pm

Hotmayo wrote:Steroids help me become great.

-
Anthony Davis

Because nobody can ever be great without steroids...? Oh lawd have mercy

Return to Wiretap Discussion