Raptors Listening To Trade Offers For Terrence Ross

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Raptors Listening To Trade Offers For Terrence Ross 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:18 pm

The Toronto Raptors are willing to listen to offers for Terrence Ross.

Ross has been coming off the bench for the Raptors since mid-January.

David West and Kevin Garnett are two players that could be intriguing for the Raptors' needs.

Via Zach Lowe/Grantland

Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Re: Raptors Listening To Trade Offers For Terrence Ross 

Post#2 » by Cassius » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:34 pm

Wow, does the deal work with Hansborough?
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
mawbsta
Senior
And1: 46

Post#3 » by mawbsta » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:13 pm

KG is one and done and earning 12mil, so so are the Raps sending Landry Fields' 8.5mil and Tyler Hansborough along with Ross for KG and a future first round pick? Surely they are not sending Amir Johnson as part of any package for a two-month rental of KG...

While Garnett's defense is legendary, he is turning 39 this summer and currently sits 5th all-time in Minutes played (nearly 50,000!). Granted, his defensive mindset would be a welcome commodity for the playoff run, but he's not supplanting Amir from the starting lineup. In truth, he has little value unless he comes over with a future first round pick because its clear if he plays for one more season (he's coming up on the 15,000 milestone) in 2016, he's going to have no shortage of suitors, and will be no doubt chasing a ring elsewhere. Ie Houston, Oklahoma, Cleveland

David West has immediate short-term value and would be a welcome addition to our starting lineup, assuming an exchange for Amir/Tyler/Terrence. His low post scoring, and solid perimeter shooting along with 6 years in the playoffs would certainly bolster the Raptors playoff hopes. He was a huge part of both Pacer EC finalist teams that lost to the Heat in 13 and 14. He also has a 12mil player option for 2016, and at age 34, that should net a 3-year extension with the Raptors
TONYROMOHOF
Pro Prospect
And1: 842

Post#4 » by TONYROMOHOF » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:01 pm

They should bring andrew nicholson home and just sign a scrappy forward in the dleague and roll the dice twice and pray

Still a better option then just keeping ross
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#5 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:03 pm

I'd rather keep Ross until his value goes back up.
Credits to Jstock12
Mobby
Analyst
And1: 424

Post#6 » by Mobby » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:19 am

Ross
Hansbrough
Stiemsma
2017 2nd rounder

for

Taj Gibson
Cam Bairstow

Ross is on a favorable contract, and I have confidence in him to make strides in the right situation. We need a secondary ball handler out there more often, and from what I've seen of his play, he can be that -- without using our usual two-PG small-ball lineups (which usually necessitates an offensive-liability in Kirk Hinrich or a defensive-liability in Aaron Brooks.

Get 'er done, GarPax!

WiggOuts
Starter
And1: 1,362

Post#7 » by WiggOuts » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:52 am

If ross is gonna be traded it better not be for some rental old player that won't stay. he isn't going anywhere imo
Sir Cruz
Freshman
And1: 6

Post#8 » by Sir Cruz » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:59 pm

Mobby wrote:Ross
Hansbrough
Stiemsma
2017 2nd rounder

for

Taj Gibson
Cam Bairstow

Ross is on a favorable contract, and I have confidence in him to make strides in the right situation. We need a secondary ball handler out there more often, and from what I've seen of his play, he can be that -- without using our usual two-PG small-ball lineups (which usually necessitates an offensive-liability in Kirk Hinrich or a defensive-liability in Aaron Brooks.

Get 'er done, GarPax!

What is this garbage^

Simply embarrassing. First of all we wouldn't help the Bulls get better.

Much rather keep Ross and D10 together for now.

Though if a trade had to happen this moment i'd keep Ross for his 3pt shooting and move DeRozan.

Maybe pry Wiggins out of Minnesota. He's not having a superstar splash everyone thought he would.

D. DeRozan
J. V

for

A. Wiggins
N. Pekovic
Tdot24
Pro Prospect
And1: 52

Post#9 » by Tdot24 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:15 pm

Sir Cruz wrote:
Hansbrough
Stiemsma
2017 2nd rounder

for

Taj Gibson
Cam Bairstow

Get 'er done, GarPax!

What is this garbage^

Though if a trade had to happen this moment i'd keep Ross for his 3pt shooting and move DeRozan.

Maybe pry Wiggins out of Minnesota. He's not having a superstar splash everyone thought he would.

D. DeRozan
J. V

for

A. Wiggins
N. Pekovic

Derozan for Wiggins? lol..
You criticize one person for proposing an idea and then you come up with an even more absurd proposal. Hilarious.
Wiggins is their future, there's no question about that. How do you figure that to be the best trade scenario for the Raptors? Trading Derozan and J.V for a rookie project would mean back to square one for the Raptors.

Chicago's front court depth is pretty good right now. With both Snell and Mirotic at the Forward position I think they can afford to let Gibson go. T.Ross would also improve their wing rotation. Gibson is also looking for a bigger role and seems eager to get on with his career as a starter. Great fit for the Raps, but he's injury issues may raise some concerns.
bdehaan2k
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#10 » by bdehaan2k » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:00 pm

Sir Cruz wrote:
Hansbrough
Stiemsma
2017 2nd rounder

for

Taj Gibson
Cam Bairstow

Get 'er done, GarPax!

What is this garbage^

D. DeRozan
J. V

for

A. Wiggins
N. Pekovic

So lets trade a top SG for a rookie who may leave after his rookie contract and who is unproven. Very smart.
and J.V for a centre who cant stay healthy ??

you sir would be GM of the year lol
basketballbeans
Pro Prospect
And1: 397

Post#11 » by basketballbeans » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:00 pm

Tdot24 wrote:
Sir Cruz wrote:
Hansbrough
Stiemsma
2017 2nd rounder

for

Taj Gibson
Cam Bairstow

Get 'er done, GarPax!

What is this garbage^

D. DeRozan
J. V

for

A. Wiggins
N. Pekovic

You criticize one person for proposing an idea and then you come up with an even more absurd proposal. Hilarious.
Wiggins is their future, there's no question about that. How do you figure that to be the best trade scenario for the Raptors? Trading Derozan and J.V for a rookie project would mean back to square one for the Raptors.

Chicago's front court depth is pretty good right now. With both Snell and Mirotic at the Forward position I think they can afford to let Gibson go. T.Ross would also improve their wing rotation. Gibson is also looking for a bigger role and seems eager to get on with his career as a starter. Great fit for the Raps, but he's injury issues may raise some concerns.

DeRozan for Wiggins is a bad trade for both teams...
sssmooth
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#12 » by sssmooth » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:24 am

Landry Fields, Chuck Hayes, T Ross To Nets For Joe Johnson, protected 1st rounder

Salary would work, would benefit both teams
Sir Cruz
Freshman

Post#13 » by Sir Cruz » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:42 pm

Tdot24 wrote:
Sir Cruz wrote:
Hansbrough
Stiemsma
2017 2nd rounder

for

Taj Gibson
Cam Bairstow

Get 'er done, GarPax!

What is this garbage^

D. DeRozan
J. V

for

A. Wiggins
N. Pekovic

Love was their future and Garnett had his time also. They are not very good at keeping their core. Wiggins will not be a TWolve his whole life. It would be a waste to the NBA. As far as a rookie project. You're telling me having your hometown boy isn't worth a swing for? He can do everything DeRozan does but has superstar aura. We played very well this season without D10.

How is Gibson an upgrade over the johnson brothers or Patterson? The fact you rep Tdot and still TRY TO justify Taj being a starter here is mind boggling.

J.V himself is project, he hardly even plays in the crunch(4Qrt). DeRozan would give the wolves a legit swingman beside LaVigne.
Sir Cruz
Freshman

Post#14 » by Sir Cruz » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:46 pm

bdehaan2k wrote:
Sir Cruz wrote:
Hansbrough
Stiemsma
2017 2nd rounder

for

Taj Gibson
Cam Bairstow

Get 'er done, GarPax!

What is this garbage^

D. DeRozan
J. V

for

A. Wiggins
N. Pekovic

So lets trade a top SG for a rookie who may leave after his rookie contract and who is unproven. Very smart.
and J.V for a centre who cant stay healthy ??

you sir would be GM of the year lol

Top SG yes, but very much expendable. We did just fine without D10 this year thus far.

It took years for Derozan to develop an effective jumpshot. Wiggins is much more rounded out with superstar aura.
The fact that D10 is even a "top SG" we should take advantage of. Lets face it, he's not the star out of Compton everyone thought he would be.
Tdot24
Pro Prospect

Post#15 » by Tdot24 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:34 pm

Sir Cruz wrote:
Love was their future and Garnett had his time also. They are not very good at keeping their core. Wiggins will not be a TWolve his whole life. It would be a waste to the NBA. As far as a rookie project. You're telling me having your hometown boy isn't worth a swing for? He can do everything DeRozan does but has superstar aura. We played very well this season without D10.

How is Gibson an upgrade over the johnson brothers or Patterson? The fact you rep Tdot and still TRY TO justify Taj being a starter here is mind boggling.

J.V himself is project, he hardly even plays in the crunch(4Qrt). DeRozan would give the wolves a legit swingman beside LaVigne.

The Raptors are looking for a playoff run and you want to swing for a "hometown boy with superstar aura"...

What makes you think Taj isn't capable of being a starter? Because he's not already in a Raptors uniform? Taj Gibson would definitely give the Raptors the extra rim protection. Besides, what has Ross done this season to help the Raptors improve? He disappeared in last year's playoff run and he disappeared when Derozan went down. So you want to get rid of Derozan over the next dude who failed to fill his spot?

It's not a matter of who the Raptors should go after, it's a matter of what position they need to fill. It's no secret that the Raptors are lacking rim protection. Taj Gibson, if you haven't seen him play, is more than capable of filling that void.
Mobby
Analyst
And1: 424

Post#16 » by Mobby » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:57 pm

Sir Cruz wrote:

Top SG yes, but very much expendable. We did just fine without D10 this year thus far.

It took years for Derozan to develop an effective jumpshot. Wiggins is much more rounded out with superstar aura.
The fact that D10 is even a "top SG" we should take advantage of. Lets face it, he's not the star out of Compton everyone thought he would be.

Yep. Except that's not how teams think. They've already put the money into DeDe; don't think they'll be letting him go. He's on somewhat of a favorable contract though considering the recent signings.
Sir Cruz
Freshman

Post#17 » by Sir Cruz » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:36 pm

Tdot24 wrote:
Sir Cruz wrote:

The Raptors are looking for a playoff run and you want to swing for a "hometown boy with superstar aura"...

What makes you think Taj isn't capable of being a starter? Because he's not already in a Raptors uniform? Taj Gibson would definitely give the Raptors the extra rim protection. Besides, what has Ross done this season to help the Raptors improve? He disappeared in last year's playoff run and he disappeared when Derozan went down. So you want to get rid of Derozan over the next dude who failed to fill his spot?

It's not a matter of who the Raptors should go after, it's a matter of what position they need to fill. It's no secret that the Raptors are lacking rim protection. Taj Gibson, if you haven't seen him play, is more than capable of filling that void.

Simply put, how much better is Taj than Amir? their block rate is somewhat similar, but Amir always walks away with the better PER.

Waste of an asset to blow on Taj. Just because it's the Raptors? would Taj start on Cleveland? OKC? Clips? he's a more than decent role/bench player.

Regarding Ross and his hiccups. D10 wasn't so promising early in his career either. It took him about 7 years to make a name for himself. Without Bosh or Carter, D10 had the hardest time Averaging more than 15 points.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#18 » by Cassius » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:27 am

Gibson for Ross would make a ton of sense for both teams. Raps win the trade IMO.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
Tdot24
Pro Prospect

Post#19 » by Tdot24 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:50 pm

Sir Cruz wrote:
Tdot24 wrote:
Sir Cruz wrote:

Simply put, how much better is Taj than Amir? their block rate is somewhat similar, but Amir always walks away with the better PER.

Waste of an asset to blow on Taj. Just because it's the Raptors? would Taj start on Cleveland? OKC? Clips? he's a more than decent role/bench player.

Regarding Ross and his hiccups. D10 wasn't so promising early in his career either. It took him about 7 years to make a name for himself. Without Bosh or Carter, D10 had the hardest time Averaging more than 15 points.

Are the Raptors trying to be Cleveland or OKC? Look at the problems OKC faced with their bigman rotation (before the Kanter trade happened, even then they're not sure if he'll be much help on D). What good is one good rim protector when he's not on the floor? Who do you go to? J.V. is too inexperienced for tight game situations. He gets exposed when it comes to crunch time, which is why Casey elects to bench him during tight games. JJ is too small to go up against bigger guys on the defensive end. Patterson does well enough to defend, but he isn't a post defender like Amir and Gibson.

It's not about replacing one for the other, it's the fact that Gibson also delivers on what the Raptors are looking for. Both he and Amir are high energy guys and either of them can start or come off the bench. Amir has come off the bench for Raptors in the past, so it just makes more sense for him to be with the second unit.

Ross is in a much more improved situation than Derozan was. The Raptors were a bad team for quite some time, which gave Derozan the time and experience to develop into a more well rounded player. Yeah, Ross can knock down perimeter shots, but the team needs more than just threes, unfortunately. Ross now finds himself sitting on the bench, because he couldn't do much with his time as a starter. I don't think that is what's best for him and his development. He has to figure it out on the floor.

Anyway, trade deadline is up, let's see if Ross can improve. He should have a boat load of confidence, since Masai praised the hell out of him over the last few weeks.

Return to Wiretap Discussion