Allen Iverson Rejects $1M Deal To Play On Chinese Tour, Planning Lawsuit Against Promoters

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Allen Iverson Rejects $1M Deal To Play On Chinese Tour, Planning Lawsuit Against Promoters 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 29, 2015 9:03 pm

Allen Iverson has rejected a $1 million deal to make his playing return to professional basketball on a tour in China, and has plans to file a lawsuit against Chinese promoters breaching a current coaching contract, sources told RealGM.

RealGM reported on May 21 that Iverson had been pushed so hard by promoters in Harbin, China, that officials and fans created difficulties in allowing him to leave to continue his tour. Last month, Iverson reached agreement on a coaching deal for a Chinese tour, under no obligation to perform on the court, as stated in his contract.

After an attempted breach of the first contract, which was paid in full to Iverson, the future basketball Hall of Famer had more turbulence this week: Promoters claimed to Chinese officials that they paid the $1.1 million owed to Iverson in his second round of the deal, but sources close to Iverson insist the entire sum has gone unpaid and falsely wired.

Iverson released a statement to RealGM on Friday afternoon through his representative on the tour, NBA agent and lawyer Muhammad Abdul-Rahim:

"I have visited The Peoples Republic of China on multiple occasions. Each time I visit, I am taken aback by the love, appreciation, and respect that the people in China show me. Normally, I visit larger cities like Beijing and Shanghai.  However, on this trip I had the honor and privilege to visit other parts of China for the first time.  I was personally blown away by the love that the fans had for me in Harbin, Xi’An, Jingjiang, and Hefei. In addition, having the opportunity to meet with local business owners and witness the amazing infrastructure throughout China will leave an everlasting impression on me.

"I am highly disappointed by the unethical and dishonest actions of Tianjin Qi Di Culture Co., Ltd (“QIDI”), Beijing Landmark Advertisement Co., Ltd, Mr. Li Dong and Mr. David Lee, regarding my participation in this tour. Tianjin Qi Di Culture Co., Ltd (“QIDI”), Beijing Landmark Advertisement Co., Ltd, Li Dong and David Lee have continuously lied, misled my fans and breached the contracts between their companies and myself. Despite their negative actions, I will still continue the tour for my fans. What’s more important to me than any contract or sum of money is the love that my fans have for me."

Iverson is expected to the States after this weekend, and Abdul-Rahim will forge a group of attorneys in Atlanta for a lawsuit against two promoters, Li Dong and David Lee.

An 11-time NBA All-Star and the 2001 Most Valuable Player, Iverson last played professionally in 2011 with a Turkish team.

Via Shams Charania/RealGM

dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Re: Allen Iverson Rejects $1M Deal To Play On Chinese Tour, Planning Lawsuit Against Promoters 

Post#2 » by dautjazz » Fri May 29, 2015 10:14 pm

LOL besides Jingjiang, any of the other cities he mentioned would be 2-3rd largest cities in the US, and Jingjiang is almost 700,000 and it's part of the Jiangyn-Zhangjiagang area which has 3.5M.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Re: Allen Iverson Rejects $1M Deal To Play On Chinese Tour, Planning Lawsuit Against Promoters 

Post#3 » by CHAMPi0N » Fri May 29, 2015 10:37 pm

Is his lawyer in any way related to Shareef Abdul-Rahim? Out of all the 90's legends, AI's legacy has gone down a weird path. Hope he gets his fair share and finds his way back into the NBA world. The 76ers could still use him too :lol:
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#4 » by dautjazz » Fri May 29, 2015 10:52 pm

CHAMPi0N wrote:Is his lawyer in any way related to Shareef Abdul-Rahim? Out of all the 90's legends, AI's legacy has gone down a weird path. Hope he gets his fair share and finds his way back into the NBA world. The 76ers could still use him too :lol:

I doubt it, Abdul-Rahim is a common Muslim last name.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
coolbyme
Junior
And1: 48

Post#5 » by coolbyme » Sat May 30, 2015 1:12 am

Seriously?

It's abduR rahim?
Workforce250
Banned User
And1: 900

Post#6 » by Workforce250 » Sat May 30, 2015 1:58 am

On an International level, Iverson should sue for at least $59 million. They're real crooks overseas.
Guessed
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#7 » by Guessed » Sat May 30, 2015 2:58 am

coolbyme wrote:Seriously?

It's abduR rahim?

In Arabic, it's written what can be transliterated as "Abd Al-Raheem" or "Abdul-Raheem"; due to pronunciation rules, when spoken it actually sounds like "Abdur-Raheem". I guess it depends on whether they are transliterating the written or pronounced form.

However, the one referred to spells it "Abdur-Rahim", so that's probably the best way to refer to him:

http://www.goodwinsports.com/about/team-2/muhammad-abdur-rahim-esq/
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,160

Post#8 » by SHO'NUFF » Sat May 30, 2015 3:23 am

CHAMPi0N wrote:Is his lawyer in any way related to Shareef Abdul-Rahim? Out of all the 90's legends, AI's legacy has gone down a weird path. Hope he gets his fair share and finds his way back into the NBA world. The 76ers could still use him too :lol:

Brothers.
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
6_Rings
RealGM
And1: 2,891

Post#9 » by 6_Rings » Sat May 30, 2015 1:18 pm

I thought this was all about Practice again.
El Turco wrote:Nothing wrong with men shaking their ass while other men in tights jump on top of each other.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Post#10 » by jefe » Sat May 30, 2015 1:33 pm

How did David Lee get mixed up in this? I guess he has alot of time on his hands while on the bench for the Warriors.
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#11 » by HighRyzer83 » Sat May 30, 2015 3:44 pm

Leave it to Iverson to get involved in some Chinese scam. In other news, he's still trying to recover his $30 mil from the nigerian prince through an email negotiation :lol:

Return to Wiretap Discussion