Marc Gasol, Grizzlies Agree Upon Five-Year, $110M Deal

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Marc Gasol, Grizzlies Agree Upon Five-Year, $110M Deal 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jul 6, 2015 8:56 pm

Marc Gasol and the Memphis Grizzlies have agreed upon a five-year, $110 million deal.

Gasol met with Grizzlies owner Robert Pera in Spain last Wednesday, and progressed toward a final agreement over the next several days. Gasol was expected to re-sign with the Grizzlies as he didn't take any meetings with rival clubs.

The deal includes an early termination option for Gasol after the fourth season.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports

malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Re: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies Agree Upon Five-Year, $110M Deal 

Post#2 » by malgus » Mon Jul 6, 2015 9:34 pm

unlike Lillard, Marc Gasol is actually worth this kind of contract.
thegreenlife
Pro Prospect
And1: 648

Post#3 » by thegreenlife » Mon Jul 6, 2015 10:14 pm

malgus wrote:unlike Lillard, Marc Gasol is actually worth this kind of contract.

Lillard is clutch, a decent distributor and a great scorer. The only knock on him is his defense. He's easily a top 10 PG in today's NBA, and deserving of his money
PocketRockets
Pro Prospect
And1: 9

Post#4 » by PocketRockets » Mon Jul 6, 2015 10:50 pm

Tristan Thompson is estimated to get around 80 mill. Enough said about stupid spending around the NBA. Players should get paid, but overpaying average players will only shoot owners in the foot later on. Then they'll complain about it at the next CBA.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#5 » by Sam195 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 12:27 am

I was hoping he would have signed a 2 year max deal with opt out instead and than signed with the spurs as a ufa next summer when the cap spikes. Could you imagine how lethal a frontcourt of Aldridge, Gasol and Leonard would have been? Gasol would easily have made up any money he left on the table with the rising cap next summer. And I don't think the grizzlies would have done a 5 year deal next summer either because than they would have to pay him nearly 40M the season he turns 36 from 35. I guess most players other than lebron don't care about the extra money coming from a rising cap. Love and Gasol resign for full 5-year max deals with their existing teams while Aldridge and Deandre sign full 4-year max deals with new destinations.
CacchMeIfYouCan
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#6 » by CacchMeIfYouCan » Tue Jul 7, 2015 1:21 am

Sam195 wrote:I was hoping he would have signed a 2 year max deal with opt out instead and than signed with the spurs as a ufa next summer when the cap spikes. Could you imagine how lethal a frontcourt of Aldridge, Gasol and Leonard would have been? Gasol would easily have made up any money he left on the table with the rising cap next summer. And I don't think the grizzlies would have done a 5 year deal next summer either because than they would have to pay him nearly 40M the season he turns 36 from 35. I guess most players other than lebron don't care about the extra money coming from a rising cap. Love and Gasol resign for full 5-year max deals with their existing teams while Aldridge and Deandre sign full 4-year max deals with new destinations.

It's not about caring for the extra money, it's about guaranteeing what you can make now. Love has been injury plagued his whole career, why wouldn't he take 5 years of guaranteed money at $20 mil a year. Gasol was a late bloomer who is beginning to peak at 30 years old, why not take guaranteed money over the next 5 years. Aldridge is also 30 and recognized an opportunity to win with the Spurs. DeAndre is still young and can take advantage of the cap later, he did the right thing signing a max deal off his best two seasons and also knows that he needs to improve his scoring capability and free throw shooting to really be considered the best big man. You can't be greedy over the possibility of making another $5-$10mm per year because everyone is going to want more money, not just the stars. And who knows what the new CBA will bring as owners are the greediest of them all. LeBron can do this because he is one of the greatest players of all-time, whether he tears his ACL or not, he will make the same money regardless.
Ddent12
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#7 » by Ddent12 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 4:14 am

I'm ok with Marc getting paid .... But what are the grizzlies doing to improve the team? They seem to be staying put with personnel while all the west teams are making minor improvements. Even the lakers got a little bit better. The west won't be easy. Hard to say what exactly they need. Bench is their #1 need for improvement.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#8 » by MitchB3 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 5:37 am

Ddent12 wrote:I'm ok with Marc getting paid .... But what are the grizzlies doing to improve the team? They seem to be staying put with personnel while all the west teams are making minor improvements. Even the lakers got a little bit better. The west won't be easy. Hard to say what exactly they need. Bench is their #1 need for improvement.

For me I only see 3 REAL CONTENDING TEAMS; Spurs, Warriors & OKC. If the Grizzles make an improvement with their bench, and get another solid player, then they are right there in the West Conference.
MitchB3
Starter

Post#9 » by MitchB3 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 5:45 am

PocketRockets wrote:Tristan Thompson is estimated to get around 80 mill. Enough said about stupid spending around the NBA. Players should get paid, but overpaying average players will only shoot owners in the foot later on. Then they'll complain about it at the next CBA.

I feel like this off-season ALONE has a lot more overpaid players. You have guys like Reggie Jackson, Tobias Harris, Kris Middleton, Amir Johnson, both Brook & Robin Lopez; those are the players that come to my mind, and I know theirs a few more players but I'm not going through all that.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#10 » by Paradise » Tue Jul 7, 2015 5:56 am

MitchB3 wrote:
PocketRockets wrote:Tristan Thompson is estimated to get around 80 mill. Enough said about stupid spending around the NBA. Players should get paid, but overpaying average players will only shoot owners in the foot later on. Then they'll complain about it at the next CBA.

I feel like this off-season ALONE has a lot more overpaid players. You have guys like Reggie Jackson, Tobias Harris, Kris Middleton, Amir Johnson, both Brook & Robin Lopez; those are the players that come to my mind, and I know theirs a few more players but I'm not going through all that.

Brook Lopez Per 36 is 21/9 , shot 46% from mid-range and is a very solid rim protector. I don't necessarily think he belongs in the same category with the rest of those names. Most of those guys are getting paid to develop.
MitchB3
Starter

Post#11 » by MitchB3 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 8:44 am

Paradise wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:

Brook Lopez Per 36 is 21/9 , shot 46% from mid-range and is a very solid rim protector. I don't necessarily think he belongs in the same category with the rest of those names. Most of those guys are getting paid to develop.

In the case of Brook Lopez, this dude is only good for like 50 to 60 games a season, and for his size he's a little soft. However his brother Robin, he's a slightly above solid defender. I still think the Knicks could had signed Robin to a lesser deal, and as for Brook, they are mostly likely going to flip in a trade during the regular season.
Brovva Blaqq
Banned User
And1: 67

Post#12 » by Brovva Blaqq » Tue Jul 7, 2015 12:37 pm

Loyality. That's what's up.

Nothing to hate on Memphis too - they are a Playoff Team, no contender though, but still exciting enough to watch. If they want to trade Gasol in a rebuild or some other Change of direction there will be plenty of possibilities to get it done.

Return to Wiretap Discussion