Dirk Nowitzki Wants To Play At Least Two More Seasons

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Dirk Nowitzki Wants To Play At Least Two More Seasons 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:35 pm

Dirk Nowitzki has two seasons remaining on his current deal and he was asked at the Dallas Mavericks' media day whether he's begun considering retirement.

"Obviously it gets closer, but it's not like I'm thinking of the beach every day," said Nowitzki. "I want to play two more years under contract here, hopefully at a high level, compete, hopefully be efficient when I'm out there. And then retirement obviously comes soon enough. But as of now, I still think I can play at a high level. I'm going to work my butt off here these four weeks to get in the best shape I can get, and then leave it all out there again." 

Nowitzki was asked if he will wait until 2017 to consider retirement.

"Obviously if you know me a little bit I'm not going to do what some of these athletes do and announce it the year before and have a farewell tour. That's the worst thing that I can think about, (have to) talk about every day. When I'm gone, I'm gone. That's how it's going to go." 

Via Brad Townsend/Dallas Morning News

SlobbaN
Banned User
And1: 459

Re: Dirk Nowitzki Wants To Play At Least Two More Seasons 

Post#2 » by SlobbaN » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:23 am

The dude has always been very professional, that's a rare quality in lots of modern athletes. I just wish he played more of his career with better supporting casts. Most of his prime his sidekick was Terry, who is an elite 6th, but in no way a true 2nd man. Dirk has had to carry too much.
6_Rings
RealGM
And1: 2,891

Post#3 » by 6_Rings » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:41 pm

he should play that 2 more seasons somewhere else. Mavs gonna stink for two more seasons plus plus.
El Turco wrote:Nothing wrong with men shaking their ass while other men in tights jump on top of each other.
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#4 » by MegaK » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:54 pm

SlobbaN wrote:The dude has always been very professional, that's a rare quality in lots of modern athletes. I just wish he played more of his career with better supporting casts. Most of his prime his sidekick was Terry, who is an elite 6th, but in no way a true 2nd man. Dirk has had to carry too much.

Yea, Cuban should have kept the championship team together and let them at least try and defend the championship when they won it. But as the story goes, the cap screwed them big time at the time and I don't think they had 3 all starts on their team at the time. Must have been a bunch of messed up deals. What a waste, at least Dirk got one chip in his time with Dallas.
SlobbaN
Banned User
And1: 459

Post#5 » by SlobbaN » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:18 am

MegaK wrote:
SlobbaN wrote:The dude has always been very professional, that's a rare quality in lots of modern athletes. I just wish he played more of his career with better supporting casts. Most of his prime his sidekick was Terry, who is an elite 6th, but in no way a true 2nd man. Dirk has had to carry too much.

Yea, Cuban should have kept the championship team together and let them at least try and defend the championship when they won it. But as the story goes, the cap screwed them big time at the time and I don't think they had 3 all starts on their team at the time. Must have been a bunch of messed up deals. What a waste, at least Dirk got one chip in his time with Dallas.

Nah, I think that was actually the right move to break up that team, there's absolutely no chance they could repeat, not even get past 2nd round.

Return to Wiretap Discussion