Avery Bradley Unhappy With Contract

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Avery Bradley Unhappy With Contract 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:41 pm

Avery Bradley is unhappy with the four-year, $32 million contract he signed in 2014 with the Boston Celtics.

Bradley's deal was viewed as a good one for him when it was signed, but he has since seen players like Khris Middleton and Tristan Thompson get lucrative new deals.

Bradley has changed agents from Mitchell Butler to Rob Pelinka.

Via Gary Washburn/Boston Globe

intheair1
Freshman
And1: 8

Re: Avery Bradley Unhappy With Contract 

Post#2 » by intheair1 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:04 pm

steph curry says word
taylorbeastly
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#3 » by taylorbeastly » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:30 pm

You signed a contract, get over it.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#4 » by MitchB3 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:50 pm

intheair1 wrote:steph curry says word

Steph Curry is a different situation; the Warriors weren't going to sign him to a large contract knowing he has health issues, and also, at the time Curry knew that his value during that off-season would be spectacular, so both he and the team came to a common ground, however what I would say is dumb is that he should have made it a shorter deal, maybe a three deal instead of the four-year deal that he received.
McKenna
Rookie
And1: 1,117

Post#5 » by McKenna » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:15 pm

A bit foolish tbh, because I'm just assuming that El-Chapo or some other real world 'villain' wasn't holding a gun to his head when he signed.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#6 » by tk76 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:39 pm

Bradley is only 25. If he is worth more, than he has plenty of opportunity ahead to get paid at the market rate. Unlike the NFL, NBA players have guaranteed contracts, meaning that many players are paid out huge sums even if they regress. So IMO they have less support for complaints when a player is getting below current market value. Odds are, that same player will end up getting paid over market value once they are in the later stages of their careers, as lots of NBA players in the 32-34 year old range are underperforming still getting the guaranteed money on the back end of a big deal. You can't say the same for most NFL players.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#7 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:56 pm

There's no doubt there's some influence from his agent as well. If the best his agent can do for him is 32/4 and convinced him that's the market rate then I can understand why he's not happy and why he changed agents. In the end, he's the one that signed the contract so he can only be unhappy with himself.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,537

Post#8 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:38 pm

McKenna wrote:A bit foolish tbh, because I'm just assuming that El-Chapo or some other real world 'villain' wasn't holding a gun to his head when he signed.

If you're expecting him to know and set his own market value, then what do you think is his agent's job? Just to dot the I's on the contract? A lawyer could do that for far less money.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#9 » by The_Hater » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:52 pm

He looks underpaid now but he looked overpaid the day he signed it. He played well and the market changed. If he wanted to bet on himself he should have signed a one year contract I guess.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,436

Post#10 » by Rapsfan07 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:14 am

The value isn't that far off. Maybe he deserves a mill or two more per season but nothing more than that.

The market for PGs is so saturated right now that that's probably the going rate for a starter that's not an all-star/superstar. IMO, I'm not even sure Bradley is a starter on a contending team. Don't get me wrong though I like him a lot.

Teague, Hill and Jennings are all similar caliber players all making similar money
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#11 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:29 am

RealGM Wiretap wrote:Avery Bradley is unhappy with the four-year, $32 million contract HE signed...

Yeah Avery, you effin' blew it!
McKenna
Rookie
And1: 1,117

Post#12 » by McKenna » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:35 am

I just find it a strange comment to make given that it's certainly not a slow news week.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,723

Post#13 » by 76thBearCub » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:53 am

I also have a few regrets in retrospect when I look back at my life. Can I have a do over?

None of my mistakes made me 8 million dollars a year either.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#14 » by spearsy23 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:35 am

Rapsfan07 wrote:The value isn't that far off. Maybe he deserves a mill or two more per season but nothing more than that.

The market for PGs is so saturated right now that that's probably the going rate for a starter that's not an all-star/superstar. IMO, I'm not even sure Bradley is a starter on a contending team. Don't get me wrong though I like him a lot.

Teague, Hill and Jennings are all similar caliber players all making similar money

Avery Bradley isn't a point guard.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#15 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:56 am

McKenna wrote:A bit foolish tbh, because I'm just assuming that El-Chapo or some other real world 'villain' wasn't holding a gun to his head when he signed.

I think his frustration arises because he thinks he got bad advice from his agent.

Should he have signed a shorter contract, taken less money for a shot at a huge payday? Perhaps.

But when you're a 23 year old kid, you lean on the expertise of your advisors when making major decisions such as this.

They clearly didn't take everything into account when they told him to commit to multiple years at 'only' $8 million.
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#16 » by miltk » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:52 am

tuff $hit
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,436

Post#17 » by Rapsfan07 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:56 am

spearsy23 wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:The value isn't that far off. Maybe he deserves a mill or two more per season but nothing more than that.

He plays it quite a bit in Boston...

Either way, he's a combo guard .
BatumtheGlue
Starter
And1: 441

Post#18 » by BatumtheGlue » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:46 am

Rapsfan07 wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:

A perfect fit next to a ball dominating wing player.
Mamut menteng ureh utusku, isen mulang jite penyangku.
Credit to amcoolio for the signature .gif.
smith2373
General Manager
And1: 1,734

Post#19 » by smith2373 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:46 am

Rapsfan07 wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:

No he doesn't.

The PG is always either Thomas, Smart or Turner. Bradley has barely played PG since Doc left.
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#20 » by TimRobbins » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:30 pm

And how many teams are unhappy with player contracts? Bradley should focus on his game. If he plays well, he can get his big payday in 2019. It's not like his starving for food right now.

Return to Wiretap Discussion